Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A comparable player might be Calle Jarnkrok from the Predators. The Swedish center preferred to get more term than money: he has inked a 6 years- 12 millions deal last summer.

I guess Danault could opt for something like that if he doesn't care about money...

Thanks for the laugh. 12M and he doesn't care about money? Guess he wouldn't after getting 12M!

Seriously, after an injury, life takes center stage and security becomes a target above yearly payouts. Pacioretty is a prime example. Term and what eventually amounted to a bargain deal for Bergevin. There are numerous examples of this in the league.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Yes prime Pleks.
maybe I’m just biased. Just not a Danault fan and don’t think he should make more than Eller is making in Washington
3.5 is the maximum for Danault

I agree, but I don't think that Eller should have any incidence on what Danault gets paid. IMO, Eller was grossly overpaid for what he gave the Habs, but his resurgence in WASH warrants his salary.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I agree, but I don't think that Eller should have any incidence on what Danault gets paid. IMO, Eller was grossly overpaid for what he gave the Habs, but his resurgence in WASH warrants his salary.
I just think there pretty much the same player talent wise and Eller signed his contract for his UFA years
If Danault gets 1 penny more than Eller it’s an overpayment. They’re both 3rd line centres

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I just think there pretty much the same player talent wise and Eller signed his contract for his UFA years
If Danault gets 1 penny more than Eller it’s an overpayment. They’re both 3rd line centres

I agree that 3.5M is pretty much maximum that should be spent on a 3rd line C -- and a good one at that.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
They are stuck and Danault knows it . He is their best natural center . if MB trades him away the French Media will tear him apart piece by piece.

I am scared of a 4.5 5 or 6 year deal aince Danault has all the power even though he is an rfa .

Hopefully it resolves and we get a 2.8-3.5 caphit .

We cant overpay for a 3rd line Center .

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You should focus less on the amount he gets compared to Eller...and more on the %'age on the cap.

Depending on what the cap will be this summer, it could be as high as 80M which is what? 10-12M higher than when Eller signed.

That figures into the contract.

There are alot of factors at play here...you can't just look at a contract signed almost 4yrs ago and use it as a template for today.

3rd liners as a whole are making more money today than they were when Eller signed.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
You should focus less on the amount he gets compared to Eller...and more on the %'age on the cap.

Depending on what the cap will be this summer, it could be as high as 80M which is what? 10-12M higher than when Eller signed.

There are alot of factors at play here...you can't just look at a contract signed almost 4yrs ago and use it as a template for today.

3rd liners as a whole are making more money today than they were when Eller signed.

Eller just signed with Washington for 5 years at 3.5 per.

Given that it's all UFA years, I would think that Danault will get something similar for a few hairs less. 3.25 hopefully over 4 or 5 years. It's a movable total should somebody better and cheaper come along and gives us the possibility of a bargain deal should Danault late bloom into a legit top 6 center.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Eller just signed with Washington for 5 years at 3.5 per.

Given that it's all UFA years, I would think that Danault will get something similar for a few hairs less. 3.25 hopefully over 4 or 5 years. It's a movable total should somebody better and cheaper come along and gives us the possibility of a bargain deal should Danault late bloom into a legit top 6 center.
Wow I totally forgot be just signed an extension...I thought he was still playing under the deal the Habs gave him.

That's my bad.

Thanks for clearing that up

Reactions: angry pirate

cujo1117

Mar 30, 2018
if he wants more then 3,5 millions he can get the f out... he has higher value in montreal then anywhere else in the league because of our center line situation. hes a decent player and works hard and can be a good option to be 2c for 10 games if somebody in the top 6 goes down like every decent 3rd liner should be....heck even torrey mitchell looked ok has 2c for a brief stint. FOr people saying that he has offencive potencial...well he barely cracked 40 points with 2 of the best wingers in game...and looked lost in the playoffs. He loves montreal and were the team that gave him his chance and believed in him....well take the home discount.... if not , groom JDR to the 3c position

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
if he wants more then 3,5 millions he can get the f out... he has higher value in montreal then anywhere else in the league because of our center line situation. hes a decent player and works hard and can be a good option to be 2c for 10 games if somebody in the top 6 goes down like every decent 3rd liner should be....heck even torrey mitchell looked ok has 2c for a brief stint. FOr people saying that he has offencive potencial...well he barely cracked 40 points with 2 of the best wingers in game...and looked lost in the playoffs. He loves montreal and were the team that gave him his chance and believed in him....well take the home discount.... if not , groom JDR to the 3c position

Well last season he had a 39 point pace and he certainly wasn't doing it playing with 2 of the best wingers in the game.

The big question mark is did he improve and his pace only stayed the same because his wingers were much crappier, or does the quality of his wingers have little impact on his production and he'll get you those 40 points whether he plays on the top line or not.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Also if he makes $3.5M, it's technically less than when Eller made $3.5M due to how much of the cap it takes up. Eller in 15-16 took up 4.9% of a max cap. If the cap stays at $76M, which it will probably go up not down, Danault at $3.5M would only be 4.6% of the max cap.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

3rd liners as a whole are making more money today than they were when Eller signed
re-signed in Washington for the same cap hit...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Hes getting more than 3.5 in my opinion

I think he might get more than 3.5M as well. I expect 3.75M - 4M per on a 4-5 year deal. I wouldn't blame him at all if he asked for what Shaw is making or even more since IMO he's a better player than Shaw and he plays a position the Habs are very weak at.

I'm hoping for 3-3.5M on a 4-5 year deal but don't think that will get it done and expect closer to the amount I posted above.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
They are stuck and Danault knows it . He is their best natural center . if MB trades him away the French Media will tear him apart piece by piece.

I am scared of a 4.5 5 or 6 year deal aince Danault has all the power even though he is an rfa .

Hopefully it resolves and we get a 2.8-3.5 caphit .

We cant overpay for a 3rd line Center .

The french media isn't anymore vicious than you guys and the english media. It's just not as comfortable for you maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad