Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PD was given chances...that Eller never received. Anyhow, moot point, Eller is in the playoffs, performing well and PD is golfing, waiting on a new contract...that should pay him around 2.75-3.25M per season....

Disagree. I remember when we put Galchenyuk with Eller to start the 2015/2016 season. Don't remember who was on the other wing but they were the 2nd line and Eller's offensive ability was very disappointing. Eller was given plenty of chances and he wanted to be in a top 6 role where he belonged on the 3rd line.

Now fast forward to today and Eller has matured into a well rounded player and he has done well with Backstrom injured. I think the issue back when Eller was on our team is we just didn't have the forward group that the Caps had. But he was given opportunity. I do agree with how we mismanaged Eller though due to lack of center depth. Of course Eller thought he could do better on our team at that point but he really didn't produce with the opportunity he was given. Same with Morrow... He has called out the Habs management on not giving him opportunity but that's BS! It's not the Habs fault that you are a fringe NHL defenseman on most teams.

Habs have a cluster of bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defenseman. When you are given the opportunity to play in the top of the line-up, put up or shut up. You wouldn't get that opportunity on most teams.

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The minute an ex-Habs player has a good night with his new team people who never cared about him when he was here are suddenly apoplectic about the fact he was traded. I mean, really. Is Eller the hill you want to die on? Choosing between him and Danault is about as meaningful as choosing to eat at Wendy's instead of Burger King. They are both equally mediocre. They fill a hole and that's about it. One is as good as the other when all you need is something to eat and you're not fussy about what it is. It's not like you finish a Whopper at Burger King and say "Man, I really wish I'd gone to Wendy's for a Bacon Classic instead."

Leaving the Andrew Shaw debate aside for the moment, we traded Eller for 2 picks, one of whom turned out to be Debrincat. That's more than fair value, IMO, for a guy with whom the Habs were going nowhere fast. Anyone who says with a straight face that they were incensed at losing him is lying. Nobody cared. He was a non-entity. Inoffensive enough, I'll admit, and he didn't get people angry the way guys like Desharnais did, but still a non-entity when all was said and done. To cry about how much we miss his skills now is beyond revisionist. It's pure fantasy.

I was really agreeing with you until you went overboard and started calling both players mediocre instead of just equal in value. They aren't all-stars, for sure, but they can both be useful role players, which is exactly what 3rd and 4th line players are. Every team needs them, especially in a Cap system where you can't just buy the National team to play as your team, with 1st line players occupying 4th line and 3rd line roles. Eller and Danault are not bottom of the barrel types as role players.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I was really agreeing with you until you went overboard and started calling both players mediocre instead of just equal in value. They aren't all-stars, for sure, but they can both be useful role players, which is exactly what 3rd and 4th line players are. Every team needs them, especially in a Cap system where you can't just buy the National team to play as your team, with 1st line players occupying 4th line and 3rd line roles. Eller and Danault are not bottom of the barrel types as role players.
We simply disagree as to the definition of the term "mediocre". I would classify all bottom six forwards and third pairing defensemen as mediocre simply by virtue of the fact that they are bottom six forwards and third pairing defensemen. That's what mediocrity means to me: so-so, comme ci, comme ca type players who are necessary to round out your roster but who's contributions are mostly the kind which don't move the needle.

Like my Burger King/Wendy's comparison, Eller and Danault are the living embodiment of "meh". They neither please nor offend. They aren't the worst out there but they're a dime a dozen and nothing special either. Not worthless, just not particularly valuable.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
We simply disagree as to the definition of the term "mediocre". I would classify all bottom six forwards and third pairing defensemen as mediocre simply by virtue of the fact that they are bottom six forwards and third pairing defensemen. That's what mediocrity means to me: so-so, comme ci, comme ca type players who are necessary to round out your roster but who's contributions are mostly the kind which don't move the needle.

Like my Burger King/Wendy's comparison, Eller and Danault are the living embodiment of "meh". They neither please nor offend. They aren't the worst out there but they're a dime a dozen and nothing special either. Not worthless, just not particularly valuable.

So Eller's 12 points in 15 PO games this season are not important for that team?

What a terrible post.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Disagree. I remember when we put Galchenyuk with Eller to start the 2015/2016 season. Don't remember who was on the other wing but they were the 2nd line and Eller's offensive ability was very disappointing. Eller was given plenty of chances and he wanted to be in a top 6 role where he belonged on the 3rd line.

Now fast forward to today and Eller has matured into a well rounded player and he has done well with Backstrom injured. I think the issue back when Eller was on our team is we just didn't have the forward group that the Caps had. But he was given opportunity. I do agree with how we mismanaged Eller though due to lack of center depth. Of course Eller thought he could do better on our team at that point but he really didn't produce with the opportunity he was given. Same with Morrow... He has called out the Habs management on not giving him opportunity but that's BS! It's not the Habs fault that you are a fringe NHL defenseman on most teams.

Habs have a cluster of bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing defenseman. When you are given the opportunity to play in the top of the line-up, put up or shut up. You wouldn't get that opportunity on most teams.
Garbage post.

EGG line was amaizing.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center

Eller a dime a dozen lol.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
So Eller's 12 points in 15 PO games this season are not important for that team?

What a terrible post.
It's a flash in the pan. Overall Eller's career is mediocre. If he could pot 12 points for every 15 games that he plays he'd be going to the Hall of Fame. Anyone can get hot for a couple of weeks, especially when playing only a couple of different teams. What separates good players from mediocre ones is consistency. Good players have up's and down's but their level of play is generally consistently good. Mediocre players like Eller also have some up's and down's but their level of play is generally consistently mediocre. When Eller retires people will look at his numbers and think "Meh." That is how he will be remembered by 99% of the hockey watching population.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Eller a dime a dozen lol.
I see what you're doing. Going over the top to praise a guy who you know is mediocre, just to be ironic. "The EGG Line was amazing", lol. Okay, sure. Inasmuch as a line that will go down in history as a footnote to a footnote, maybe. Right up there with the "PeZZ Line" (or was it the "ZZiP Line"?) of Petrov, Zubrus and Zholtok that were all the rage for about 5 minutes back in 1999.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It's a flash in the pan. Overall Eller's career is mediocre. If he could pot 12 points for every 15 games that he plays he'd be going to the Hall of Fame. Anyone can get hot for a couple of weeks, especially when playing only a couple of different teams. What separates good players from mediocre ones is consistency. Good players have up's and down's but their level of play is generally consistently good. Mediocre players like Eller also have some up's and down's but their level of play is generally consistently mediocre. When Eller retires people will look at his numbers and think "Meh." That is how he will be remembered by 99% of the hockey watching population.

It's clearly a hot streak but he's a solid player that is useful.

With your logic the league is composed at 80% of mediocre players... This is bs.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I see what you're doing. Going over the top to praise a guy who you know is mediocre, just to be ironic. "The EGG Line was amazing", lol. Okay, sure. Inasmuch as a line that will go down in history as a footnote to a footnote, maybe. Right up there with the "PeZZ Line" (or was it the "ZZiP Line"?) of Petrov, Zubrus and Zholtok that were all the rage for about 5 minutes back in 1999.
Ok Marc, nice talking to you.

Pure garbage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Garbage post.

EGG line was amaizing.

Not interesting in have a discussion with cranky people who call other post garbage with lack of substance. And you spelled amazing wrong.

BTW... If that line was so amazing, why did we finish 21st that year and Eller scored 26pts while Galchenyuk had 56 and Gallagher 40 (53 games). Eller was given opportunity to start the year and he struggled in our top 6 as a 26 year old. That's what I remember.

Eller was also -13 that season (the worse +/- on our team). Heck Dale Weise was given oppertunity in our top 6 and produced better in less games played

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Not interesting in have a discussion with cranky people who call other post garbage. And you spelled amazing wrong.

BTW... If that line was so amazing, why did we finish 21st that year and Eller scored 26pts while Galchenyuk had 56 and Gallagher 40 (53 games). Eller was given opportunity to start the year and he struggled in our top 6 as a 26 year old. That's what I remember.

Eller was also -13 that season (the worse +/- on our team).
Thank you Captain Grammar.

More garbage, Michel Therrien is that you?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thank you Captain Grammar.

More garbage, Michel Therrien is that you?

2015/2016 season:
- 13 (worse on our team)
- Given plenty of opportunity and only 26pts in 79 games
- 15:15 average ice time. Compare that to Wise who was also given opportunity and had better numbers, less ice time, and played less games.

EGG line was amazing eh

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I find Eller really dumb. Like yeah he's physically great and strong and is good enough defensively and offensively but there are 3-4 times/game when I'm going "**** that was a really dumb decision." Like going offside when it's clearly avoidable or making a weird pass for no reason...or last night closing his hand on the puck and spinning around.

I had a fantasy back in the days that if we could have somehow magically put Desharnais' head onto Eller's body, we would have a great player. And then we manage to ship the monstruosity that consists of Eller's head on Desharnais' body to Boston or Toronto.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
2015/2016 season:
- 13 (worse on our team)
- Given plenty of opportunity and only 26pts in 79 games
- 15:15 average ice time. Compare that to Wise who was also given opportunity and had better numbers, less ice time, and played less games.

EGG line was amazing eh
This is exactly the argument Michel would make, i seem to recall Eller being in Michel's dog house that season lol. Funny post. You sound like you love our current management

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Not interesting in have a discussion with cranky people who call other post garbage with lack of substance. And you spelled amazing wrong.

Eller was also -13 that season (the worse +/- on our team). Heck Dale Weise was given oppertunity in our top 6 and produced better in less games played

Your memory is terrible and I cant believe you of all people are harping on someones spelling.Price was injured, the EGG line was a thing of 2013. Eller was only given top 6 time as a winger, Eller is a bad winger. Keep up the good work.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's clearly a hot streak but he's a solid player that is useful.

With your logic the league is composed at 80% of mediocre players... This is bs.
The more the NHL expands, the more mediocre players you'll see. Half the players in this league belong in the AHL. The reason they aren't is because they have 31 (soon to be 32) teams that each need a roster of 23 warm bodies. I'm not saying that Eller is worthless; just that he's no better or worse than Danault when all is said and done. His loss is hardly worth losing any sleep over. He isn't a difference-maker, just surplus depth. The Capitals didn't acquire him to do anything other than fill a hole, like getting a burger from a drive-thru when you're hungry and don't want to spend lots of money on a better option.

Reactions: Beer and Chips

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
EGG line was good in stretches for sure.

Galchenyuk with Eller was terrible if it didn't have Gallagher.

You have stats to back that up? Someone posted the linemates of Galchenyuk and Eller in the shortened season and it didnt really jive with what you are saying. Someone is mistaken but more curious which one is correct.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is exactly the argument Michel would make, i seem to recall Eller being in Michel's dog house that season lol. Funny post. You sound like you love our current management

I understand your angle but MT did give Eller plenty of opportunity in our top 6 and he didn't produce. Eller was given the same ice time as Chucky and DD. He got what he deserved based on his play on the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Your memory is terrible and I cant believe you of all people are harping on someones spelling.Price was injured, the EGG line was a thing of 2013. Eller was only given top 6 time as a winger, Eller is a bad winger. Keep up the good work.

This conversation is about opportunity for a 26 year old player who wanted a bigger role on our team in 2015/2016 and he didn't produce. Eller got his contract from us from the 2012/2013 season and the 2014 playoffs. He had a disappointing 2014/2015 season and walking into the 2015/2016, he wanted a bigger role and he started on the 2nd line with Galchenyuk.

What happened after he was given the opportunity he ask for? He got 26pts in 79 games and was a -13, the worse +/- on our team. He had the same kind of ice time as Galchenyuk and DD.

Get your facts straight before you move goal posts around in a attempt to belittle others. I wasn't talking about the 2013 season.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The more the NHL expands, the more mediocre players you'll see. Half the players in this league belong in the AHL. The reason they aren't is because they have 31 (soon to be 32) teams that each need a roster of 23 warm bodies. I'm not saying that Eller is worthless; just that he's no better or worse than Danault when all is said and done. His loss is hardly worth losing any sleep over. He isn't a difference-maker, just surplus depth. The Capitals didn't acquire him to do anything other than fill a hole, like getting a burger from a drive-thru when you're hungry and don't want to spend lots of money on a better option.
You don't have a ton of difference makers in this league, calling all the other guys mediocre is wrong IMO.

Yeah those guys are not amazing but they're solid NHL players and not some on the cusp journeyman.

EGG line was good in stretches for sure.

Galchenyuk with Eller was terrible if it didn't have Gallagher.

That whole shortened season was not something to rely on statistically.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
You have stats to back that up? Someone posted the linemates of Galchenyuk and Eller in the shortened season and it didnt really jive with what you are saying. Someone is mistaken but more curious which one is correct.

I remember a while back posting the stats for when they started the year together as EGG line.

Galchenyuk spent a lot of the year by Eller and it was brutal without Gallagher.

I don't know about the shortened season which had a few anomalies.

Do I feel like going back and doing all the stats again? Not really. I don't care enough. I'd rather be told I'm wrong and let people live in lalaland to be honest. All I know is without Gallagher it wasn't pretty.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
He's made a difference this year, surrounded by good players (significantly better than the one's he had in Montreal, I might add) and one other year, 2013-14, when he got 13 points in 17 games. Other than those 2 performances, he's done diddly-squat in the post-season.

Before this playoffs Eller's career playoff totals were 6 goals and 17 assists for 23 points in 50 playoff games. Now he has 35 points in 65 playoff games. Again, this is the precise definition of "meh". Plekanec, who by his own admission, plays "like a little girl" at playoff time has 53 points in 94 career post-season games. That gives him, a notorious non-clutch performer who everyone agrees is a black hole when it comes to producing offense, a 0.56 points per game average at playoff time. What is Eller's career PPG average in the playoffs?

So just stop with this ridiculous narrative about Eller being some sort of playoff beast. He is an insect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MTL-rules

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He's made a difference this year, surrounded by good players (significantly better than the one's he had in Montreal, I might add) and one other year, 2013-14, when he got 13 points in 17 games. Other than those 2 performances, he's done diddly-squat in the post-season.

Before this playoffs Eller's career playoff totals were 6 goals and 17 assists for 23 points in 50 playoff games. Now he has 35 points in 65 playoff games. Again, this is the precise definition of "meh". Plekanec, who by his own admission, plays "like a little girl" at playoff time has 53 points in 94 career post-season games. That gives him, a notorious non-clutch performer who everyone agrees is a black hole when it comes to producing offense, a 0.56 points per game average at playoff time. What is Eller's career PPG average in the playoffs?

So just stop with this ridiculous narrative about Eller being some sort of playoff beast. He is an insect.

To be fair Plekanec and Eller play dif minutes.

Still, Eller's playoff exploits are a little exaggerated and Plekanec was right, he did f*** all come playoff time.

Reactions: Laurentide

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I understand your angle but MT did give Eller plenty of opportunity in our top 6 and he didn't produce. Eller was given the same ice time as Chucky and DD. He got what he deserved based on his play on the ice.

Where do you come up with this stuff? In what world was he given the same ice time then Desharnais?

Desharnais got more ES ice time, and tons more PP time. The only reason they might even look close is because Eller played on the PK and Desharnais didn't. And playing on the PK isn't top-6 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->