Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
@Cobra Commander is on a rampage this morning but I understand his frustration. We don't want danault to turn into another DD situation where we praise him because he's a "bon gars d'ici" . We have drouin for that. Danault is a decent third liner but eller is clearly much better.

People saying oh well the difference between both is minimal clearly don't see the big picture of actually constructing a ******** compétitive hockey team.

Subban for weber, oh don't worry minimal difference.
Don't worry drouin will replace radulovs production , minimal difference.
Markov leads the team in primary assists for the past 5 years? Don't worry we can replace his production, minimal difference.

All these moves stack up and you end up with a plethora of unwanted pieces,bad contracts and no direction. But all these moves are lateral and minimal differences so it's not a big deal

This post makes the assumption that people who are fine with one move are fine with them all.

I was fine with the Eller trade and hate the rest.

I maintain that while I prefer Eller, our 3C is among the least of our concerns.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
@Cobra Commander is on a rampage this morning but I understand his frustration. We don't want danault to turn into another DD situation where we praise him because he's a "bon gars d'ici" . We have drouin for that. Danault is a decent third liner but eller is clearly much better.

People saying oh well the difference between both is minimal clearly don't see the big picture of actually constructing a ******** compétitive hockey team.

Markov leads the team in primary assists for the past 5 years? Don't worry we can replace his production, minimal difference.

All these moves stack up and you end up with a plethora of unwanted pieces,bad contracts and no direction. But all these moves are lateral and minimal differences so it's not a big deal

This.

Many of you need to understand this.

People are quite capable of understanding the sum of the parts, even while discussing the individual parts.

Reactions: Tighthead

OB5

May 2, 2015
People are quite capable of understanding the sum of the parts, even while discussing the individual parts.

I don't know if Eller is clearly better...Danault is 4 years younger and, when slotted in the right role, can be part of a great team.

the thing is that the Habs are constantly forcing players to play outside of their best roles due to lack of depth and lack of talent. Danault should be a 3C...he's been playing a 1 and 2C due to the aforementioned reasons. Eller has thrived because he has been playing in the role that best suits him, the 3C role...not 2RW, 1LW, 4C, #C like he got under Therrien.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
My biggest worry is that like is his tendency, Bergevin will give him too big of a contract with too much term.

As for Eller vs Danault, production wise, Danault is already doing better than Eller ever did. I do like Eller though.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't know if Eller is clearly better...Danault is 4 years younger and, when slotted in the right role, can be part of a great team.

the thing is that the Habs are constantly forcing players to play outside of their best roles due to lack of depth and lack of talent. Danault should be a 3C...he's been playing a 1 and 2C due to the aforementioned reasons. Eller has thrived because he has been playing in the role that best suits him, the 3C role...not 2RW, 1LW, 4C, #C like he got under Therrien.
Fair enough. Between Danault, Drouin, and Galchenyuk, there seems to be a fetish for turning lead/main actors into understudies. Too bad. I wonder how much more effective players could be if they were used according to their individual strengths.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
are you seriously trying to say PD is on the same level as those 4 players?

[MOD]

if you had the chance to trade PD for any one of those guys, would you not do it?

Given that I never said he was, what’s your point?

I’m saying he produced as much as some 2nd talents in one particular situation(ES).

I responded to a poster critical of his 25 points in 52 GP. I just pointed out at ES it’s nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

OB5

May 2, 2015
Fair enough. Between Danault, Drouin, and Galchenyuk, there seems to be a fetish for turning lead/main actors into understudies. Too bad. I wonder how much more effective players could be if they were used according to their individual strengths.
It's crazy to me how much they force square pegs into round holes.

Drouin at C
Galchenyuk at W

...Should be the opposite.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

:clap:

OB5

May 2, 2015
:: Molson struggling trying and attempting to fit square peg into round hole ::

MB - "no, no, no.....you can't fit a square peg into a round hole!!"

Molson - "then how did you fit your head into your hat Marc?"

they remind me of the monkeys that Mr. burns has writing his book.

It was the BLURST of times!?!?

Reactions: Laurentide

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
@HBDay you wouldn't package danault for a top 6 Center? Jesus did the guy save your life or something :huh:

Haha. That would be something. But no I'd rather trade one of our excess wingers. As the guy above me mentioned if we trade Danault we fill a top six center roll but then we have to put a stop gap center on the third line which would be another band aid fix. We have enough wingers to trade one very good one especially considering we have the opportunity to draft another wing here.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
they remind me of the monkeys that Mr. burns has writing his book.

It was the BLURST of times!?!?

when i think about MB and Molson, I immediately picture these two guys.......

giphy.gif

Reactions: OB5

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Danault's AAV is depended on term. He has two more years of RFA left. I do think his ceiling potential contract is what Eller just got. Both players are ideal 3rd line centers and 0.5pts per game (+/-) potential. We have to remember that Eller is 4 years older and is the by far more matured player. Danault has only played 187 NHL games while Eller has played 604 games.

Like I said before... Another comparable is Boone Jenner. I think Jenner > Danault but he is in the same position. He was drafted in the same year and has two more years of RFA. It would be interesting to see if Jenner signs first. Maybe we can judge Danault off of his contract cause he should make less right?

$3M to $3.5M range for 5 or 6 years makes sense to me. Especially the way our center depth looks like. If Danault asks for more than $3.5M, sign him to one year and we get a better sample size to judge the long term deal. He would have one more RFA year left after that.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
No he will never.

And yes it does make me uncomfortable when our idiot GM brings in players just because they are French to make the idiots that are causing this language thing to be a problem happy. #nomoresmallfrenchcenters.

When they stop bringing in players just because they are French (Drouin, Danault) that's when i will stop the criticism.

This is such a stupid post, its shameful. Danault cost the team absolutely nothing and he's a better player than Eller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

Eller is not much better, he was never much better at any point playing for us. Ever, and I saw him score 4 goals.

This.

Many of you need to understand this.

I have nothing to understand from you other than your discomfort of french players. They will never not be on the team for any reason other than their language and origin such a f***ing shame.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Eller is not much better, he was never much better at any point playing for us. Ever, and I saw him score 4 goals.

I find Eller really dumb. Like yeah he's physically great and strong and is good enough defensively and offensively but there are 3-4 times/game when I'm going "shit that was a really dumb decision." Like going offside when it's clearly avoidable or making a weird pass for no reason...or last night closing his hand on the puck and spinning around.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
[MOD]
Eller 14gp 5goals 6assist 11points +5

Danault LMAO

Far from same tier.

You say different people will prefer one over the other, what you meant to say was that French Quebequers would prefer one over the other.

How are posts like this not banned in a habs forum? It's f***ing shocking

The bias and dishonesty is unbelievable. Danault has hit 40 points in a season, something Eller has never done. Eller has a good playoffs, playing with talent on the second line instead of backstrom. Fine, but its not some definitive indication of relative talent.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The minute an ex-Habs player has a good night with his new team people who never cared about him when he was here are suddenly apoplectic about the fact he was traded. I mean, really. Is Eller the hill you want to die on? Choosing between him and Danault is about as meaningful as choosing to eat at Wendy's instead of Burger King. They are both equally mediocre. They fill a hole and that's about it. One is as good as the other when all you need is something to eat and you're not fussy about what it is. It's not like you finish a Whopper at Burger King and say "Man, I really wish I'd gone to Wendy's for a Bacon Classic instead."

Leaving the Andrew Shaw debate aside for the moment, we traded Eller for 2 picks, one of whom turned out to be Debrincat. That's more than fair value, IMO, for a guy with whom the Habs were going nowhere fast. Anyone who says with a straight face that they were incensed at losing him is lying. Nobody cared. He was a non-entity. Inoffensive enough, I'll admit, and he didn't get people angry the way guys like Desharnais did, but still a non-entity when all was said and done. To cry about how much we miss his skills now is beyond revisionist. It's pure fantasy.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
My biggest worry is that like is his tendency, Bergevin will give him too big of a contract with too much term.

As for Eller vs Danault, production wise, Danault is already doing better than Eller ever did. I do like Eller though.
PD was given chances...that Eller never received. Anyhow, moot point, Eller is in the playoffs, performing well and PD is golfing, waiting on a new contract...that should pay him around 2.75-3.25M per season....

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
It is hilarious how much hype Eller still gets, this is coming from a guy who has a #81 Eller Habs' jersey in his closet and who is still a fan of his. The same thing happens every couple of years, Eller goes on a hot streak and is apparently going to break out and is becoming a top six C.. then you don't hear about him for months when he's back putting up 25-30 points a year. He is what he is, a very solid third line centre who can fill in for a few games in the top six but shouldn't be there full-time.

29 year old Eller just had a career year, during this career year he put up 32 even strength points.. in comparison, Plekanec was on pace for 33 even strength points here and was seen as a black hole offensively.

I can get people being upset over Subban gone, but still complaining about a bottom six centre is just a bit much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. I actually think Eller and Danault will be similar potential and production when you factor in what they do at the same age point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad