Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Where do you come up with this stuff? In what world was he given the same ice time then Desharnais?

Desharnais got more ES ice time, and tons more PP time. The only reason they might even look close is because Eller played on the PK and Desharnais didn't. And playing on the PK isn't top-6 minutes.
This is why some people think that Eller is something special: because he winds up looking special by default when compared with playoff flops like Desharnais (0.33 career PPG) and Pacioretty (0.50 career PPG) Sure, compared to those no-show's pretty much anyone with a pulse starts looking good. But instead we should just agree that they're all equally mediocre in the post-season.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If you can't stop taking personal shots at people and/or their posting style, you'll be removed from the discussion. Chill.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Garbage post.

EGG line was amaizing.

While I support the value, in there role, of having a player like Eller, or even Danault, at C on a 3rd line, I have to disagree with your awe of the EGG line. It worked well at first, but it didn't work as a line as the results were generated by Gallagher-Eller or Gallagher-Galchenyuk. Eller-Galchenyuk NEVER worked together. There was clearly an unproductive competition between the players. I'd even say that this was fed by Eller's wish to prove that he was better as a 2nd line C option.

At this point, we're all reminiscing a bit and the memories could be murky, but I remember pointing this out from the start, even when things were going quite well for that line.

The Galchenyuk - Prust - Gallagher line, short-lived as it was, was a better combo, IMHO, because all three players were on the same page and because, at the time, a veteran like Prust was a calming influence for when things would get a little tougher.

Eller had more talent than Prust, but the chemistry was better with Prust between the two Gs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where do you come up with this stuff? In what world was he given the same ice time then Desharnais?

Desharnais got more ES ice time, and tons more PP time. The only reason they might even look close is because Eller played on the PK and Desharnais didn't. And playing on the PK isn't top-6 minutes.

DD got on average of 2 min per game on the PP while Eller got 1 min and his production was not good! You need to produce if you want to earn your ice time.

Tons more PP Time and overall ice time? I don’t think so.

And I repeat.. the 2015/2016 season before he was traded.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Not interesting in have a discussion with cranky people who call other post garbage with lack of substance. And you spelled amazing wrong.

BTW... If that line was so amazing, why did we finish 21st that year and Eller scored 26pts while Galchenyuk had 56 and Gallagher 40 (53 games). Eller was given opportunity to start the year and he struggled in our top 6 as a 26 year old. That's what I remember.

Eller was also -13 that season (the worse +/- on our team). Heck Dale Weise was given oppertunity in our top 6 and produced better in less games played
Care to remember who he always had to jump on the ice for after gliding back to the bench as the play went into our end? Do you know how many times eller stepped on the ice to take Wee Daveys minus? Honesty after someone pointed it out I noticed at least 8 times from january on that season. And I mean barely getting to the blue line before we got scred on. CLEARLY eller was defensively responsible. But thanks for sharing your keen insight on a garbage stat.

Reactions: Tighthead

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I understand your angle but MT did give Eller plenty of opportunity in our top 6 and he didn't produce. Eller was given the same ice time as Chucky and DD. He got what he deserved based on his play on the ice.
This is just an outright lie. Seriously who writes the scripts you spew on here regularly(after hiding under a rock for the last 3 months)

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
He's made a difference this year, surrounded by good players (significantly better than the one's he had in Montreal, I might add) and one other year, 2013-14, when he got 13 points in 17 games. Other than those 2 performances, he's done diddly-squat in the post-season.

Before this playoffs Eller's career playoff totals were 6 goals and 17 assists for 23 points in 50 playoff games. Now he has 35 points in 65 playoff games. Again, this is the precise definition of "meh". Plekanec, who by his own admission, plays "like a little girl" at playoff time has 53 points in 94 career post-season games. That gives him, a notorious non-clutch performer who everyone agrees is a black hole when it comes to producing offense, a 0.56 points per game average at playoff time. What is Eller's career PPG average in the playoffs?

So just stop with this ridiculous narrative about Eller being some sort of playoff beast. He is an insect.

It's easy to put out numbers without context. Let me remind you that Eller was used as a defensive center, with plugs and almost no PP when he was with us.

Even the year where he got 3 pts in 12 games in 2014-2015, he was a beast, by far our best center but Prust wasn't as good as of a goal scorer as Bourque. I have watched those games several time and Eller was BY FAR our best center. You can even re-read the GDTs in those games, he got nothing but Praise. I remember those games, do you?

Name me 3rd line centers that are more productive in point per game ratio than Eller in the playoffs. You won't find many. Even Bonino doesn't have a better PPG rate than Eller despite playing with Kessel.

It's funny that you put his PPG ratio in bold as if it's bad numbers.. That's actually a good point per game ratio for a player that has been used as a third center for most of the time until the last 4 games. Now maybe you should try to put Eller's production at even strength in the playoffs.. or Eller wingers.. Before claiming that 0.53 is bad production... Maybe you should ask yourself what is a good production of a player, playing Eller's role which is 3rd line center and minimal to non-existant PP, and also quality of linemates. If you think 0.53 is a bad playoffs production for a third liner.. You should check around the league because your expectation is ridiculous.

Good third Cs like Fisher, Berglund, Bonino, Eakins, Letestu, Lowry, Coyle, Rackell, Stepan, Handzus, Hanzal, Jordan Staal in his Pittsburgh year, doesn't even have a better playoffs production than Eller as a 3rd C... and most of them had more PP, played more often in the top 6 or had better linemates than Eller.

Just the fact that you compare Plekanec's playoffs production with Eller's is laughable.

You're wrong in all counts.

EDIT: This is an old post that I wrote back in 2015, replying to another poster who thought Eller sucked because he only got 3 pts in 12 games. Nothing annoys me more than people spitting false informations.

First of all, this is between Eller and Plekanec. Eller has 3 pts playing on the third line, on a defensive role, with a mix of DLR, DSP, Prust and PAP while Plekanec has 4 pts playing mostly with Pacioretty, Gallagher and Galchenyuk, our 3 best wingers. So considering what who they had to play with, Eller with 3 pts is not that bad.

Do you really expect Eller to outscore our top 6 center every playoffs?

Last year he did because he had Bourque scoring a bunch of goals on his wing.

Like I said, go read the GDT and PGT, you will see that Eller got a lot of praise in his game even if he didn't produced as much. His two way game, puck possession and decision making was much better. But seriously, go read the GDT. I know you won't but here some quotes. I don't have much time since I'm at work but here it goes.

Game 6 against the Sens.
-You other slackers on the Habs watch Eller, this is how it is done in the playoffs!
-Eller is a BEAST
-Eller should really be our 1C playoffs show it 2 years in a row now
-Eller showing MT why he should play much more.
-Eller came to play wow
-Lars Eller you ****ing tank.
-Eller essentially becomes a power forward in the playoffs.
-Eller beasting it. Get rid of DD right now.
-Eller in beast mode!

Game 1 against Bolts
-Eller is a horse
-Eller, Eller, Eller tank mode. Can't stop him.
-Eller is in the game. Next PP we get he should play 2nd unit, Despite Chuckies PM, still think he should get shifts with Eller .
-Eller keeps making great passes with nobody to finish.
-Eller is so good, I can't believe we don't use him on the top 6.
-Why is Eller so incredible come playoff time?
-He's been our best forward for a while now - with the exception of Max.

Game 2 he got injured so not much talk about him except the people who were very upset that Eller is hurt so it must means he does something right.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/search.php?searchid=33394157&pp=25&page=2

Game 3
-It's so sad watching Eller playing so well, but has to play with guys who struggle to score.
-Would like to see Eller line up with Patch and Gally.
-Eller is too good
-Considering he now has to carry he defense partner along with the offence and still make great defensive plays, I think he has been one of the best Habs
-They all ****ing suck except Eller and Petry
-Give eller some offensive wingers you muppet

Game 4
-Hot damn, Eller. What a beast play
-Eller is playing one heck of a game.
-really nice play by Eller's whole line on that...

Game 5
-Eller is a warrior
-Good net presence by Eller
-Maddening that eller gets no pp time
-Good shift by Eller there
-i wish eller had one of the kids as a winger instead of prust and you know who

Game 6
-Eller and Galllagher are really our only forwards that can do anything
-Gallagher and Eller the only forwards to show up..
-Put Eller on the first line please.
-What a play by Eller.
-What a ****ing play by Eller.
-Great play by Eller too bad Prust couldn't do anything with it.
-Eller did everything and puck goes straight to Prust
-Eller proving once again he's the only one who deserves offensive minutes in the playoffs.
-Eller's been arguably our best forward
-Honestly, Eller and Plekanec should shift roles right now. Relegate Plekanec to the checking line center role and give Eller an offensive chance.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why is this some kind of a joke? DLR is a good shutdown center yes, but he can't score. How does he make a 45 point guy like Danault expendable?

Yeah Grant became a parody of himself. The Swedes used him as a shutdown C, hence it's an EMERGENCE, hence Danault is expendable. He has become what he hated the most.....

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's easy to put out numbers without context. Let me remind you that Eller was used as a defensive center, with plugs and almost no PP when he was with us.

Even the year where he got 3 pts in 12 games in 2014-2015, he was a beast, by far our best center but Prust wasn't as good as of a goal scorer as Bourque. I have watched those games several time and Eller was BY FAR our best center. You can even re-read the GDTs in those games, he got nothing but Praise. I remember those games, do you?

Name me 3rd line centers that are more productive in point per game ratio than Eller in the playoffs. You won't find many. Even Bonino doesn't have a better PPG rate than Eller despite playing with Kessel.

It's funny that you put his PPG ratio in bold as if it's bad numbers.. That's actually a good point per game ratio for a player that has been used as a third center for most of the time until the last 4 games. Now maybe you should try to put Eller's production at even strength in the playoffs.. or Eller wingers.. Before claiming that 0.53 is bad production... Maybe you should ask yourself what is a good production of a player, playing Eller's role which is 3rd line center and minimal to non-existant PP, and also quality of linemates. If you think 0.53 is a bad playoffs production for a third liner.. You should check around the league because your expectation is ridiculous.

Good third Cs like Fisher, Berglund, Bonino, Eakins, Letestu, Lowry, Coyle, Rackell, Stepan, Handzus, Hanzal, Jordan Staal in his Pittsburgh year, doesn't even have a better playoffs production than Eller as a 3rd C... and most of them had more PP, played more often in the top 6 or had better linemates than Eller.

Just the fact that you compare Plekanec's playoffs production with Eller's is laughable.

You're wrong in all counts.

EDIT: This is an old post that I wrote back in 2015, replying to another poster who thought Eller sucked because he only got 3 pts in 12 games. Nothing annoys me more than people spitting false informations.
Actually I wasn't saying that Eller or his production was necessarily bad, just that he is like pretty much all third liners: mediocre, when all is said and done. It was in response to a poster who had clearly lost the plot and was trying to convince everyone that Eller was some sort of playoff beast. I merely pointed out that this was a fallacy, as was the narrative that anyone (except perhaps this particular poster) even cared that much about losing Eller when he was traded. I think that most of the Eller love here is revisionist history because it gives us another way of hating on Bergevin and is also convenient for those who hate Shaw, who wound up being the guy we traded those two picks for that we originally got in return for Eller.

My contention is that we barely cared when he was here and most knew going into that off-season that it was time for Eller to go. His presence or absence has had next to no bearing on the fortunes of the Habs one way or the other. Nobody should lose sleep over the loss of a bottom six forward or third pair defenseman. They are completely interchangeable, replaceable and expendable. They make no difference to winning or losing 99% of the time. Yet some here treat Eller like he's a first ballot Hall of Famer just because they dislike the GM who got rid of him. There are plenty of good, valid reasons to hate Bergevin. Trading Eller for 2 picks ain't one of them.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
No offense but you're wrong in a lot of things again.

Eller does play much better in the playoffs. A lot better. I agree that Eller is a consistent and fragile player. He can be good at times or he can make you go wtf... But in the playoffs, his game is much more poised and way better in general.

Playoffs best, playoffs performer, I don't care how people call it but it remains the truth. I've followed Eller's career closely and there's no doubt that he performs much better in the playoffs. All of them. That's why his PPG actually increase in the playoffs.

I just don't get the numbers that you just posted earlier trying to convince us that it was nothing special. It's actually pretty darn good numbers for a third line player. He's a lot better than a lot of current or ex-3rd C in the league. You're argument about 3rd liners are mediocre or has no importance makes absolutely no sense.

Most people don't hate Bergevin because he traded Eller.. We hated MB because he gave that extension to sweetheart DD to the detriment of Galchenyuk and Eller's development. We hated that after trading Eller, he went to get Shaw afterwards that didn't make us any better. I was always a fan of Eller and didn't mind the trade at all. It was useless to keep Eller here and it gave him a chance to play for a better team that will appreciate him more/use him properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad