Player Discussion Phillip Danault's next contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
We don't want to let PD walk by offering him 2 million either
That would just be insulting. But we need to spend the 'extra million' on players that are worth the extra million. If PD is asking 4 million+ and doesn't accept 3.5 or 3.75...well I can say he made himself walk. Part of that has to be on the player as well. He is a good player but he better not kid himself and think he need 4.25 and we couldn't do without him(at that price). Term is also an issue.
Bonino signed at 4.1 and he has a little better numbers. The only reason PD should be getting close to that money is because Bergie backed us into a corner so bad that he can't trade even for 3rd line centres anymore.

Max + 2nd for 3rd line center will be the next thread if we don't sign Danault or other likely thread if PD isn't signed 'Pleks the 4.5 million edition.'
MB has to learn who to play chicken with and who not to.

Radulov and Markov you don't mess around, you give those guys what they need.

Danault is a guy i think you can play some chicken with, he doesn't have much leverage.

The truth is you have to play some chicken if you are an NHL gm, you just have to know when to hold em and when to fold em.

And remember, Danault doesn't want to change teams, he's very happy in La Belle Province.

Reactions: the and Doc McKenna

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If he stayed healthy last season, I think he would have got around 3.5M$ which I'm okay with for a very good 3rd liner.

He shouldn't play on the top 6 but I won't surprised that he'll be forced to play there again next season because we won't have better options.

That said, he's one of our best even strength producers in the last 2 seasons.

Drouin: 57 ES points in 150 games = 0.38 ES pt per game
Galchenyuk: 56 ES points 143 games = 0.39 ES pt per game
Danault: 61 ES points in 134 games = 0.46 ES pt per game.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
But he changed his play as soon as he signed the contract...He had clawed his way through the east coast league, the AHL and had a lot of drive to his game. He was the last person I thought would change after getting his 14 million dollar contract. But he did. He was never the same. I didn't see it coming so I don't blame Bergevin on this one.

But a player's value isn't only about points. They may put up 40 - 50 points but need so much quality ice time to do it, or be a liability in work ethic, on the defensive end, etc...

I don't know if I agree. Desharnais still had hustle between 2013-2016 he just lost his skating. He still hustles but he can't keep up. Moving him to the wing would have allowed that to be less of a problem, especially once 2016 rolled around. He could easily been moved to 3LW and played as an offensive threat for a defensive line.

The club got zealous when he bumped out Gomez and thought he could be Gomez at a cheaper rate. In reality he should have been the new Oleg Petrov.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If he stayed healthy last season, I think he would have got around 3.5M$ which I'm okay with for a very good 3rd liner.

He shouldn't play on the top 6 but I won't surprised that he'll be forced to play there again next season because we won't have better options.

That said, he's one of our best even strength producers in the last 2 seasons.

Drouin: 57 ES points in 150 games = 0.38 ES pt per game
Galchenyuk: 56 ES points 143 games = 0.39 ES pt per game
Danault: 61 ES points in 134 games = 0.46 ES pt per game.
True, he is, but he gets the easier matchups...hence the ES production.

JD and AG get the tougher D and tougher lines to play against.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't know if I agree. Desharnais still had hustle between 2013-2016 he just lost his skating. He still hustles but he can't keep up. Moving him to the wing would have allowed that to be less of a problem, especially once 2016 rolled around. He could easily been moved to 3LW and played as an offensive threat for a defensive line.

The club got zealous when he bumped out Gomez and thought he could be Gomez at a cheaper rate. In reality he should have been the new Oleg Petrov.

He definetly lost some his hustle/grit. I remember in his first how he went after Chara to get a loose puck. In fact he was pretty good battleing along the boards becaused he used his low center of gravity effectively. But after a while it became rarer to see him engaged.

Personally I don't think it was the contract, I think it was more Therrien's usage where he was the go to guy regardless of how much he worked. It's tough for anyone to maintain their work ethic when there are simply no consequences for not giving it your all. Also when your the golden boy who can do no wrong it's harder to correct your bad habits partly because no one is pointing it out or working with you to break them.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Stephane Fiset, who represents Danault along with Don Meehan said that they have submitted a list of comparables to the Habs.

He also said that both Habs and Danault are interested in signing between 3 to 5 years.

Apparently, they will meet again this month. I predict this will be done fairly quickly.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
At some point, MB has to stop overpaying people for intangibles...especially 3-4 liners...as mentioned earlier PD really doesn't have any leverage, so no need to overpay.
He also has to stop competing with himself for players no other teams want. Desharnais should have been paying the Habs for the privilege of playing NHL hockey when he had no business being there. Not one other NHL club was the least bit interested in his services yet Bergevin signed him to ridiculous money and term as if he was in competition with a half dozen other clubs. If there ever was a player with whom Bergevin could have played the "take it or leave it" game with and win, it was Desharnais. DD would have taken literally any offer he was given. He'd have played for meal money. Instead they gave him tens of millions.

Reactions: BLONG7

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
That would be perfect, and honestly a bit of a discount comparing it to Shaw's stupid deal.

To be fair both the Shaw trade and contract is a perfect textbook example of how not to manage a team. No need to give 2 2nds for a middle winger and then proceed to give him a long term expensive deal, particularly to someone who plays a style that makes him injury prone and prone to taking penalties.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That would be perfect, and honestly a bit of a discount comparing it to Shaw's stupid deal.

I think Danault could make a very good argument to be paid even more than Shaw and I wouldn't blame him if he took advantage of MB's mistake for what he paid his boy Shawzie. Danault is a better player than Shaw IMO and with the Habs serious lack of centers he'd be a in a very good position to get more.

I'm hoping for a max of 3.75M per season for Danault for 4-5 years but if he asked for more than Shaw I wouldn't blame him one bit.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
A rumor I heard from a guy who is supposedly "connected" to someone inside the organization says that Danault's contract will be for $3 million per. He didn't mention the term.
That figure seems low..

I expect Danault to come in around 3.75M-4.25M annually depending on length of contract

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That figure seems low..

I expect Danault to come in around 3.75M-4.25M annually depending on length of contract

Oops. I was suppose to say 3.75M instead of 3.5M so I'll edit my post. I expect he'll get as much as or even a bit more than Shaw per season though since he has a very good argument to be paid more than Shaw.

Reactions: 417

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
MB has to learn who to play chicken with and who not to.

Radulov and Markov you don't mess around, you give those guys what they need.

Danault is a guy i think you can play some chicken with, he doesn't have much leverage.

The truth is you have to play some chicken if you are an NHL gm, you just have to know when to hold em and when to fold em.

And remember, Danault doesn't want to change teams, he's very happy in La Belle Province.

agreed.....Danault is easily replaceable, you play chicken

guys like rads and markov are not easily replaceable....MB found that out the hard way

Reactions: Cobra Commander

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
agreed.....Danault is easily replaceable, you play chicken

guys like rads and markov are not easily replaceable....MB found that out the hard way

Not when your team as the worst center depth in the NHL and your GM hasn't had the ability to upgrade the position in his going on 7 years here.

I agree you can play chicken and see how things play out on July 1st first before talking contract but if the Habs strikeout for a center then Danault is really in the drivers seat if he isn't already.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Stephane Fiset, who represents Danault along with Don Meehan said that they have submitted a list of comparables to the Habs.

He also said that both Habs and Danault are interested in signing between 3 to 5 years.

Apparently, they will meet again this month. I predict this will be done fairly quickly.

interesting, I thought maybe he would opt for a 1 year deal since he was injured, if he felt he could have a big year next year and then sign a 5-6 year deal in the 3.5-4M range depending of course on how good a season he had.

But if he signs for 5 years then they are buying UFA years so that would up the cost. Not that it matters since we should have a ton of cap space if we are looking at an 80M cap

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
A comparable player might be Calle Jarnkrok from the Predators. The Swedish center preferred to get more term than money: he has inked a 6 years- 12 millions deal last summer.

I guess Danault could opt for something like that if he doesn't care about money...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
A comparable might be Calle Jarnkrok from the Predators. The Swedish center preferred to get more term than money: he has inked a 6 years- 12 millions deal last summer.

I guess Danault could opt for something like that if he doesn't care about money...

Not gonna happen.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
That figure seems low..

Danault making more than Gallagher is insanity
I don’t care if Gallagher signed 2 years ago.
Keep wasting cap space on players like Danault
I guess Byron is easily gonna make 4-5 million then
Two 20g years and penalty kills. There an argument to be made that Byron is the more valuable player even though they play different positions

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Two 20g years and penalty kills. There an argument to be made that Byron is the more valuable player even though they play different positions

Danault is a product of the environment, habs have no centres so he was able to carve a spot on the team.

He is not a valuable piece, a 3rd line centre at best. Watch him get a 4 million 5 year term contract though because...

Getting sick of the mediocrity of the Habs

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Not when your team as the worst center depth in the NHL and your GM hasn't had the ability to upgrade the position in his going on 7 years here.

I agree you can play chicken and see how things play out on July 1st first before talking contract but if the Habs strikeout for a center then Danault is really in the drivers seat if he isn't already.
Danault is not in the drivers seat regardless of the Habs lack of depth. If you think even a guy like Hudon couldn’t get 40-45 pts playing with your teams best wingers and with PP time , you’re sorely mistaken

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

There is absolutely no argument to be made, Danault is a lot better and younger. FFS, it's not because he'a local guy that he is automaticaly overrated.

And I'd like to know hhow was Gallagher better when he signed his contract than Danault is right now ? If Danault signs a Gallagher type contract we are lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad