Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hector Salamanca

Jul 20, 2013
Qc
here's a few hints :
- playing strictly a shutdown role we used to see it from the 3rd line (Gainey, Carbo, Jarvis, etc)
- 0.18PPG when you are the MOST used forward sucks, plain and simple.

Well since he is playing 5v5 vs top opposing lane and have like 85% dzone start and play on the first pk without pp ... he qualify as you describe. Idc if sportnet label his line as the first, watch the game, use your brain and realize it already his role.

Yes .18 isn't good, have mediocre considerating toi, but his role is to Shutdown opposing top offense line and he do that at an elite level, I don't think we can argue on that. Yes he is use alot, but in the right role without pp since he doesn't have offensive creativity.

There's no perfect player and danault have a specific role and he is well above average at it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well since he is playing 5v5 vs top opposing lane and have like 85% dzone start and play on the first pk without pp ... he qualify as you describe. Idc if sportnet label his line as the first, watch the game, use your brain and realize it already his role.

Yes .18 isn't good, have mediocre considerating toi, but his role is to Shutdown opposing top offense line and he do that at an elite level, I don't think we can argue on that. Yes he is use alot, but in the right role without pp since he doesn't have offensive creativity.

There's no perfect player and danault have a specific role and he is well above average at it.
think you can tone down the "I know better" B.S. attitude. every single poster here know what Phil the thrill role is on the team, you are not teaching anyone anything.

Yes Danault have a specific role, we all know it and yes he's good at it, pretty sure everyone agrees with it. it does not change the fact that every other aspect of his game outside this specific role is average at best.

And no being good in ONE aspect of the game does not make you a fantastic player (yes someone said it) and no 0.18PPG for the most used forward is not amazing (Yes, someone here said that too).

YOu might want to tell those people to use their brain you know...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's funny how people can ask why Danault gets any flak. In his last 27 games he has 1 goal. He's playing over 19 mins in the playoffs and has 2 pts. In 27 career playoff games he has 1 goal and 6 assists.

That's the been the problem with Danault. Great defensive center that just can't produce enough offense for the TOI he gets over his career with us. I like the player until last years comments about not wanting to be a defensive only player.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It's funny how people can ask why Danault gets any flak. In his last 27 games he has 1 goal. He's playing over 19 mins in the playoffs and has 2 pts. In 27 career playoff games he has 1 goal and 6 assists.

That's the been the problem with Danault. Great defensive center that just can't produce enough offense for the TOI he gets over his career with us. I like the player until last years comments about not wanting to be a defensive only player.

The 1 playoff goal is an empty netter too lol...

Hopefully he can pot 1 vs Vegas somehow..

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
4x4.5 or buy bye.
Evans has reached another level and Poehling is ready for the jump.
I like Danault for his defensive work but as mentioned 4000 times, he doesn’t bring enough offence for a heavier contract on a cap team. If someone else wants to overpay, they can go for it.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The 1 playoff goal is an empty netter too lol...

Hopefully he can pot 1 vs Vegas somehow..

He's had a ton of grade A chances. He's just not a goal scorer. He gets most of his points off of assists.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I really think Gallagher is the straw the stirs the defensive juggernaut of Danault. Without Gallagher, Danault was a shell of himself. With Gallagher flanking him they form the best shut-down duo in the game IMO.

I just hope Danault realizes how lucky he is to have a linemate like Gally. I hope that plays a role in his decision to stay with the Habs.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I really think Gallagher is the straw the stirs the defensive juggernaut of Danault. Without Gallagher, Danault was a shell of himself. With Gallagher flanking him they form the best shut-down duo in the game IMO.

I just hope Danault realizes how lucky he is to have a linemate like Gally. I hope that plays a role in his decision to stay with the Habs.

Gallagher was horrid when he came back from injury at the start of playoffs, the line changed instantly when Tatar was taken it off it.

I do agree though that it seems Danault- Gally and I guess Tatar all like playing with each other as each of them have mentioned. I also do think they play best together, so well see what happens in FA.

Last edited:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
yeah, I'll take exactly what he gave us in the first two rounds.

Hey Phil, you did great at what you were supposed to do and we won! But hey, we need to cut down your ice time because you were too good at it lol.

That being said lol, we need Danaults line to outproduce his matchup line again if we will have success against the Knights. All four lines have to roll

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
here's a few hints :
- playing strictly a shutdown role we used to see it from the 3rd line (Gainey, Carbo, Jarvis, etc)
- 0.18PPG when you are the MOST used forward sucks, plain and simple.
At least they are winning as of now in spite of all the complaints n shortcomings constantly pointed out...... Enjoy. It's a good run that may end soon.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hey Phil, you did great at what you were supposed to do and we won! But hey, we need to cut down your ice time because you were too good at it lol.

That being said lol, we need Danaults line to outproduce his matchup line again if we will have success against the Knights. All four lines have to roll
It's the playoffs...you do whatever it is you need to do to win.

If that means Danault for 20 mins a game...so be it.

But over 82 games...I don't believe that strategy is conducive to winning.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

That's the problem - every other team doesn't need their shutdown centre leading the team in ice time.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
It's the playoffs...you do whatever it is you need to do to win.

If that means Danault for 20 mins a game...so be it.

But over 82 games...I don't believe that strategy is conducive to winning.

Yep exactly. Season is more wide open hockey, this year NZ overtook danault on TOI as he should. Next year , door is open for Kk to do the same

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Gallagher was horrid when he came back from injury at the start of playoffs, the line changed instantly when Tatar was taken it off it.

I do agree though that it seems Danault- Gally and I guess Tatar all like playing with each other as each of them have mentioned. I also do think they play best together, so well see what happens in FA.

With all due respect, why do we want to keep a guy who NEEDS Gallagher to play his best hockey?

They are too many variables in a season imo for them to stick together on the same line for the 3-6 years they would be contracted at the same time.

What happens when a team figures them out? There was no need up until now because Habs were not even a playoff team. But after this playoff run, they moght get more attention

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
Tough call there IMO.

Not going to argue about his offensive game, Danault is very frustrating on that aspect of the game.

But when it comes to his defensive game, is he the best pure defensive forward in the game right now? How can you evaluate his real value? I think that we might have to overpay for the elite part of his game.

Are we still in the playoffs without Danault?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Tough call there IMO.

Not going to argue about his offensive game, Danault is very frustrating on that aspect of the game.

But when it comes to his defensive game, is he the best pure defensive forward in the game right now? How can you evaluate his real value? I think that we might have to overpay for the elite part of his game.

Are we still in the playoffs without Danault?
So, here is the issue........and I have said before, I love Phil, as a 3rd line C.............that's what he is. A shutdown centre, and very very good at it...........if we take your question to the main board, there would be fans of the other 30 teams come running to tell you there are 2 guys on every team who does what Phil does, and also provides offence.
So, then, out come the defenders, who say, what? Phil is the most amazing player in the league right now, he shuts everyone down!!!
He is the C on that line, and should get the credit, but then there is his wingers, and Gally is actually the guy who stirs the drink on that line......helping shut people down, and creating some, but limited offence.
To answer your question, is he the best pure defensive forward in the game? Wow..........no, guys like Stone, and Bergeron say hold my beer......and they are better at it, and wow look at their numbers. They are so much better at the D side of the puck, and actually drive their lines and produce.
You have to SCORE goals to actually win games.

To answer your next question, are we still in the playoffs without Phil...........I think the answer is in our net, Price. As we know Price is THE reason we beat TO. Phil did a good job vs Matthews, but Price was amazing.

Now the defnders are going to come running on this post, but let's just relax, again I have already said ALL along Phil has been very good for us, very very good, but his offensive game has disappeared, which luckily for us while it has, kids like Suzuki and KK have picked up the slack in that area by scoring....yes scoring....Price probably really appreciates that, and not just having a shutdown guy alone....we all know where that leads us to, nowhere.

Price since 2015 in our limited playoff appearances is something like 17-0 when we SCORE 3 goals or more...
As people have pointed out, Phil has not scored, so he is NOT the sole reason we are where we are right now...but he is one of them, and I am glad he is playing well on our side of the puck, and getting to eat pizza at PC's

Flame away kids!!

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Given the fact he had one assist each round, care to tell us wich opposing line HE outproduced so far ?

Reactions: Doc McKenna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad