Player Discussion Phillip Danault part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I'll be shocked if it's less than $5M AAV. Perhaps Covid flat cap helps us though.

$3.5M - $4M range is not really fair in my books. Just cause we got Toffoli for a good AAV, it don't mean that is the standard. If we try to push for a low ball AAV, Danault walks cause you insult him. Oilers would welcome him for $4M for sure and Danault might say screw you for low balling him, he will take the low ball offer and play with someone else.

He's in his prime and is a very valuable middle 2C that most teams are after. Supply and Demand always sets the market price.

Term is key IMO
. I don't care one bit if we have to overpay him by $500k or $1M for the years where we will bridge Suzuki, KK, Romanov, Caufield. I say pay him for 3 years. Otherwise, we take steps backwards and other teams can focus on Suzuki and KK more and you might not like what you see

I agree.
r
I was listening to a french radio today and they were talking about Danault. They said, they believe Danault had already refused a 5M 5 year contract. I just can't see us being a competitive team if we give Danault 6M a year.

Do you believe that has a free agent some team will offer him 6M/year? I think if he wants to stay in Montreal he will need to accept 5M a year.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I agree.
r
I was listening to a french radio today and they were talking about Danault. They said, they believe Danault had already refused a 5M 5 year contract. I just can't see us being a competitive team if we give Danault 6M a year.

Do you believe that has a free agent some team will offer him 6M/year? I think if he wants to stay in Montreal he will need to accept 5M a year.
It will be so hard to predict the FA market this summer. You would think it will be depressed with a flat cap.
But other teams see the value of Danault and what he can do. He's our MVP at forward in the post season.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
I agree.
r

free agents at center this year are relatively slim pickings, will make any center who goes there a much larger than normal commodity this year

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Over paying at free agency is the worst thing a team can do. Heard Brian Burke say this many times. The leafs signing wendall Clarkson was a beauty lol are they still paying him? Komiserak was another great leaf signing.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Over paying at free agency is the worst thing a team can do. Heard Brian Burke say this many times. The leafs signing wendall Clarkson was a beauty lol are they still paying him? Komiserak was another great leaf signing.
If we manage to trade Weber to Nashville for their cap capture and get Hamilton as an Ufa , that would be a huge W for us.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
It will be so hard to predict the FA market this summer. You would think it will be depressed with a flat cap.
But other teams see the value of Danault and what he can do. He's our MVP at forward in the post season.

I agree we are a much better team with Danault in the line-up but he has a very specific role on the team which is to neutralize the oppositions top line. I think 5M for a guy that can do that type of job is fairly paid. If he wants more than we must start considering other options like can Jake Evans accomplish the job Danault is doing now.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I agree we are a much better team with Danault in the line-up but he has a very specific role on the team which is to neutralize the oppositions top line. I think 5M for a guy that can do that type of job is fairly paid. If he wants more than we must start considering other options like can Jake Evans accomplish the job Danault is doing now.
and nothing else.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
I check this thread ever now and then and I'm always saddened and amazed by how polarizing Danault is on this board - for no good reason really.

Danault is a solid player. But if we give him this 5.5-6M , he'll be overpaid by 10-25%. Just like (off the top of my head):

Price
Weber
Edmundson
Chiarot
Gallagher
Byron
Anderson

Which is most of our top 6/4 except for the kids.

What's so different about him to generate that much angst?

For the record I am against giving him 5.5-6M. All these guys are serviceable players. With Drouin on LTIR, we have no real dead weight and still we have a mediocre roster and we're up against the cap. These extra millions add up quick and will handcuff us. But once again, what's so different about Danault's case?

Reactions: canucklover123

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Danault is going to get paid, probably by another team. Winnipeg and Boston have money to spend, and I guarantee you Boston would love to take an important piece from the habs. Winnipeg are losing both Stasny and Perrault so they could also really use Danault.

Reactions: canucklover123

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I think Philip is a little different than most shut down guys even if he doesnt score much. He is so good at puck possession and retrieving pucks. But I agree with so many contracts coming up everyone has a budget and Marc will have to figure out how Phil fits in. You cant give too many 5 year deals for guys in that 30 range . It'll kill ya later.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Jeff Finger was probably my favorite signing. Even the media and analysts had minimal clue on who the f*** he was and he got 4 years/$14M.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think Philip is a little different than most shut down guys even if he doesnt score much. He is so good at puck possession and retrieving pucks. But I agree with so many contracts coming up everyone has a budget and Marc will have to figure out how Phil fits in. You cant give too many 5 year deals for guys in that 30 range . It'll kill ya later.
doesnt score much ?

you mean he does not score at all right ? cause the guy has 0 goals these PO, an amazing 2 assists for a great 0.18 PPG. and a -2 for those who care about +/-.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
doesnt score much ?

you mean he does not score at all right ? cause the guy has 0 goals these PO, an amazing 2 assists for a great 0.18 PPG. and a -2 for those who care about +/-.
Against some of the best offensive players in the world. Amazing stat.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
like Pauls Stastny ? Scheifle for one game ? managed ONE assist.

so, who do you think will have the task to shutdown our #1C Phil the Thrill in the next round ?

Jean Gabriel Pageau can score 15+ goals a year
Plays Defense like Danault
Can pass the puck
Is a huge playoff Performer
plays on the third line at 5m a year

is PPG this year in the playoff with 13 points in 12 games

Meanwhile

We have Danault since the last year Bubbles 1 goal 4 assists in 21 games , the goal was an empty net and 2 of the assists were from an empty net.
That's 2 assists in 21 games.

Clearly he deserves a bigger contract than Pageau because hes 50% in the faceoff and sometimes blocks a shot from a high paid player. I guess Armia and Lekhonen never block shots and still score goals.
Danault is clearly just unlucky!

I don't know what's wrong re-signing Danault at around 3.5m for like 4 years and play him with Lekhonen and someone else on the third line. He will be effective in that position while he wouldnt be the main focus because he wouldnt need to produce. Right now people sees him as a top 6 player because of the media and the forced love on his play. Give him a lesser role then people like me will stop whining.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Jean Gabriel Pageau can score 15+ goals a year
Plays Defense like Danault
Can pass the puck
Is a huge playoff Performer
plays on the third line at 5m a year

is PPG this year in the playoff with 13 points in 12 games

Meanwhile

We have Danault since the last year Bubbles 1 goal 4 assists in 21 games , the goal was an empty net and 2 of the assists were from an empty net.
That's 2 assists in 21 games.

Clearly he deserves a bigger contract than Pageau because hes 50% in the faceoff and sometimes blocks a shot from a high paid player. I guess Armia and Lekhonen never block shots and still score goals.
Danault is clearly just unlucky!
dont you know, those are AMAZING stats for a #1C! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Never understood the flak this guy got. There was no centre ready to take the reins from him. Suzuki seems ready now and he’s being rewarded with time and opportunity as a result.

danault Is such a fantastic hockey player. It will be hard for him to be liked by most fans because his game isn’t flashy or sexy. But he’s be integral to any competitive team.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Never understood the flak this guy got. There was no centre ready to take the reins from him. Suzuki seems ready now and he’s being rewarded with time and opportunity as a result.

danault Is such a fantastic hockey player. It will be hard for him to be liked by most fans because his game isn’t flashy or sexy. But he’s be integral to any competitive team.
the 1st bolded happen mostly because of the 2nd bolded. The guy is our #1C, not 2nd or 3rd but 1st line C, and there's people here claiming he's FANTASTIC because he does ONE thing, others claiming having 0G - 2A in 11 games, 0.18 PPG (-2) is AMAZING for a #1C. Not great, or good or OK, but AMAZING.

reality is very simple
- Danault offense is non existent.
- Danault FO abilities are OK, not great or anything, just OK.
- Danault physical game is average, nothing more.
- Danault transition game is good, not great or amazing, good.

Danault is the defensive equivalent to DD, yet very few claimed DD was a fantastic player. Why is that do you think ?

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
what performance ? you mean doing what we used to see from our 3rd line C ?

Its so amusing to see this get to you hahahahahahah.

It's fun because the better Danault plays, people like yourself cant help it to post worse and worse takes because it infuriates you.

I already dismissed your intellect once, lets leave it at that homie :)

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->