OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I doubt very much he signs an extension. Unless he's getting something closer to a billion than a million, there is really no incentive for him to sign one right now.

we have a clear centerfield need. If can be our centerfielder this is could be a 5 war upgrade from last season easily.
McCutchen's days in center are over.

Phillies are actually pretty good in Center. Odubel and however many games of Quinn you can get is pretty good. Haseley is not far off and should be able to play CF early in his career.

They need help in the corners. Williams is nothing but a sweet swing. Cozens is not a ML player. Altherr is so inconsistent.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
we have a clear centerfield need. If can be our centerfielder this is could be a 5 war upgrade from last season easily.

Quinn’s the CF.

McCutchen hasn’t had the range for CF for a while

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The key is Quinn staying healthy, he's got all the tools to be exceptional, just can't stay healthy.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

If I was going to go multiple years on a 36 year old starter, at least it’s one whose effectiveness is linked to deception. Pending reasonable numbers, works for me.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

If I was going to go multiple years on a 36 year old starter, at least it’s one whose effectiveness is linked to deception. Pending reasonable numbers, works for me.

Happ has maintained his velocity:
FB 92.4, a slight decline from two years ago (92.8 but 0.5 bump from the new measurements, so for comparison's sake, 91.9 in 2018)
Four seamer has shown a similar decline, but both pitches are above average in terms of effectiveness.
Slider was his out pitch last year, along with a decent but not special changeup.

His profile actually looks similar to Corbin, Happ actually throws a little harder.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Right now, the Phillies are:

Williams/Herrera or Quinn/McCutchen
Franco/Segura/Cesar/Hoskins
Alfaro

That's a better team. Still lots of time to tweak.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Happ has maintained his velocity:
FB 92.4, a slight decline from two years ago (92.8 but 0.5 bump from the new measurements, so for comparison's sake, 91.9 in 2018)
Four seamer has shown a similar decline, but both pitches are above average in terms of effectiveness.
Slider was his out pitch last year, along with a decent but not special changeup.

His profile actually looks similar to Corbin, Happ actually throws a little harder.

Corbin has the best slider in baseball. Happ’s slider showed life last season, but his bread and butter is his 4 seamer. According to pitch distribution, Happ is more like Colon than Corbin.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Machado and Harper are coming.

If they do then I love all these moves. Im just not going to feel comfortable until one of those guys is a Phillie.

Also why arent they looking to bring back Ramos? I know hes got injury issues...but he seems like a great mentor for Alfaro.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
So much for the Phillies having the inside track over the Yankees on Happ.

3 year deal with the evil empire

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So much for the Phillies having the inside track over the Yankees on Happ.

3 year deal with the evil empire

When given the choices between the Yankees or Red Sox and another team, most guys choose the twin evil empires. If either wants Harper and/or Machado and can afford them, that's where they are going. There's no point in even hoping as a Phillies fan. I take the "not expecting anything but if it happens AWESOME route."

Reactions: Cody Webster

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Question about advanced stats. Was just looking at something and I don't understand it. I don't know how I got started on this but the internet will do that to you...

2017 Byron Buxton had a WAR of 5.2 (highest on his team). The next two were Brian Dozier (4.5) and Joe Mauer (3.2). Buxton had lower BA, OBP, SLG than Dozier and Mauer. 16 fewer HRs than Dozier and nine more than Mauer. More strikeouts than the other two. Fewer walks. Fewer hits. Fewer Doubles. Fewer runs. Fewer RBIs. The same amount of errors as Dozier but more than Mauer. The only thing he appears to have done better than Mauer and Dozier is stolen bases and hitting into fewer double plays. Can someone explain how a player that has worse stats across the board is a more valuable player than the two closest players? Does position really matter that much that an outfielder is automatically worth essentially one more win than a second baseman and a first baseman (Mauer did play a handful of games at DH too)? These kinds of things are why I can't wrap my head around these advanced stats (and they show up a lot, this is just the most recent example of this that I have seen). There is essentially no argument that you can make to tell me a guy with a worse batting average, on base percentage, homers, runs, walks, strikeouts, etc., is more valuable than someone with worse numbers.

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I believe Buxton typically grades out as one of the best defensive outfielders in the game.
Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but in 2017 it appears that Joe Mauer was the best 1B in the league from a defensive standpoint and Brian Dozier was 11th, while Byron Buxton was 5th (this was using default sorting in fangraphs and UZR, I am not an advanced stats guy so if this is wrong let me know what the rankings should be).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Defense and base running are just as important as offense. Harder to quantify but just as important.

Buxton is arguably the fastest runner in baseball. That helps on the bases and in the outfield.

Run creation and run prevention. It’s the name of the game. It can come in many ways. That’s the beauty of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese