OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I don't think Trout is every traded, honestly, I don't think Trout ever leaves the state of California.
tenor.gif

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I don't think Trout is every traded, honestly, I don't think Trout ever leaves the state of California.
If they can't extend him, they will need to trade him, and It's certainly plausible that he wouldn't want to sign to stay in Anaheim for the rest of his career, especially when it's highly visible and common knowledge how much he loves and is invested in Philadelphia and Philly sports.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If they can't extend him, they will need to trade him, and It's certainly plausible that he wouldn't want to sign to stay in Anaheim for the rest of his career, especially when it's highly visible and common knowledge how much he loves and is invested in Philadelphia and Philly sports.

They are a pretty big budget team, I don't see why they won't.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
How can anyone hate the McCutchen deal? Have you seen the Phillies OF situation?

The office doesn’t seem to like Herrera, so there were at least 2 open spots prior to the acquisition. I think they view Quinn as the CF long term. Williams, Altherr, et all probably won’t be regulars. Still room for Harper...

Reactions: SnS

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McCutchen is a solid pickup, I'd have preferred two years, but odds are he'll pay for the contract before the 3rd season (6 WAR should do it).
Phillies simply can't plan on getting either Harper or Machado, it's one thing to be willing to spend, quite another to assume that a player will sign with you. So while they wait, Klentak is making incremental improvements.

This way they've made some major upgrades over last year, SS, and LF/1B where the offense may be the same but the defense is much improved.
They've also added depth to the bullpen.

With 5 OFs, and Haseley probably ready by September, if not earlier, they're in much better shape than last year.
Hernandez should bounce back with a healthy foot.

Still some question marks, but they're not as dependent on the right answers as last season, is Franco's 2nd half for real, can Herrera bounce back, can Quinn stay healthy, will Kingery take a step forward, can Alfaro develop at catcher, can the young SPs improve.

So far, the only young player they've sacrificed is Crawford.

Reactions: Jtown

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Certainly a worthwhile endeavor.

Also, if that 3-team trade goes down, Machaod to the Yanks is all but done. Phillies might be trying to stall that effort.

Like one guy on Twitter just said, if you have to sacrifice Sixto, but you end up with Realmuto and get Machado because he can't go to the Yankees, do you do it?

When you look at it like that, yea, I probably do it.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
No. I believe he’s moved to a corner outfielder for the past year. Still, he has a positive defensive runs saved in right field, something the Phillies can’t say they got this year

we have a clear centerfield need. If can be our centerfielder this is could be a 5 war upgrade from last season easily.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Somebody just tweeted that Rosenthal predicted a monster extension for Trout.

I'm not sure if he was on the radio/TV.

If Rosenthal thinks he's staying...he's probably staying

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Somebody just tweeted that Rosenthal predicted a monster extension for Trout.

I'm not sure if he was on the radio/TV.

If Rosenthal thinks he's staying...he's probably staying

Monster extension...after traded to Phillies? :)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Not a fan of Odubel?

mixed feelings. Loved that we got him as a rule 5 draft guy. Started off great, but last year he was pretty bad. You can't go into next season expecting to be a team contending to win the division and have him being your starting cf. I feel like everyone of our outfielders last year busted. Altherr was the guy i was hoping that could transition into that cf spot, but again another outfielder who busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad