OT: Phillies: We Might Just Get A Little Stupid Spending: Offseason Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Harold Baines to the Hall of Fame. I can only assume this has something to do with some dumb SABR stat about swing speed or total bases in domes when the weather is below freezing or a fielding metric that shows he would have been the best outfielder ever if he wasn't playing DH.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well...I was all ready for some big signings during the Winter Meetings, but it doesn't sound like that's happening

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I'm fully expecting the Phillies to miss out on both Harper and Machado anyway.

Apparently the Phillies are "bidding against themselves" with Harper.

From all the negativity surrounding Machado's hustle comments and his heel turn in the playoffs, I don't think his market has developed as expected. Steinbrenner wants a one-on-one interview with Machado to assess attitude before he considers signing him.

Also, many teams have showed that they aren't willing to spend. Before the offseason, I thought there'd be a much bigger market for both players.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That's a really weird assumption about the Veteran's Committee. They're the stodgiest, most anti-SABR clique you can find. They like the guy. No need to dig further.

Also no need to pay attention the HoF, but etc.
The times they are a-changing.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

These quotes like this are always just filler. There's always "mystery teams" and the market is always "limited." They just need to generate buzz leading up to the decision. I forget where I read it (may have been that Crossing Broad article about Hextall's firing) about GM/Exec speculation being really no more reliable than fan speculation. Just getting the thought from a random person. Anyway, hopefully we sign everyone at all times.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

sherlock-holmes-greg-joens.jpg

Everybody loves a good mystery

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
huge week with the rule 5 draft on Thursday, should be very interesting to see what happens.
In terms of who gets picked from us or if we pick someone? There seems to be a number of guys available that might be tempting. Not sure if there's anyone that would make it the whole season though, especially in light of the moves we have made thus far and will hopefully (likely) make in the near future. Any guys we might target? I would imagine we would take a flyer on a LHP, preferably one that can start.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
In terms of who gets picked from us or if we pick someone? There seems to be a number of guys available that might be tempting. Not sure if there's anyone that would make it the whole season though, especially in light of the moves we have made thus far and will hopefully (likely) make in the near future. Any guys we might target? I would imagine we would take a flyer on a LHP, preferably one that can start.

I could see them losing a player or two between the major and minor rule 5 draft.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I could see them losing a player or two between the major and minor rule 5 draft.
I'm not too worried about that. There aren't a lot of names on the list of eligible players that I would be upset if they were taken, and anyone that gets taken is more likely to be returned than kept anyway.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Interesting that they went for a low risk/low ceiling signing there.

It's almost bigger news to me that Sixto has been involved in talks. That had better be one hell of a player.

*Edit* Also this.

I don't think any of us can have a meaningful opinion there. Who knows? They were willing to eat 38 MM apparently.

Reactions: Chinatown88

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Interesting that they went for a low risk/low ceiling signing there.

It's almost bigger news to me that Sixto has been involved in talks. That had better be one hell of a player.

*Edit* Also this.

I don't think any of us can have a meaningful opinion there. Who knows? They were willing to eat 38 MM apparently.

Where the hell are you seeing those trade talks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad