Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Kind of funny we call him up after dropping 7 goals on the defending champs but not when we couldn't score at all earlier in the season. Wonder if he slots in immediately of practices for a bit.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean the number of games left is getting fairly thin so if they are going to give him a game or two they gotta get on it. They may be doing it because he is already in Chicago.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Worth seeing what he can do on the PP. With Goalvanen and Forsberg out, that unit has gone cold again. It seems Lambert doesn't want to switch roles for players.

BTW, PT has been an over 1 point per game average for the last 3 seasons. Really excited to see him play up here and hoping he continues a good rate of production. Damn, he could be a real revelation.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Worth seeing what he can do on the PP. With Goalvanen and Forsberg out, that unit has gone cold again. It seems Lambert doesn't want to switch roles for players.

BTW, PT has been an over 1 point per game average for the last 3 seasons. Really excited to see him play up here and hoping he continues a good rate of production. Damn, he could be a real revelation.

That's actually a really good thought. His 5v5 might not be there yet, but watching the kid, you can tell he can play in space.

The PP looks absolutely trash again without Tolvanen and Forsberg. The spacing, timing, decision making, all just went to shit over night when they got hurt.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

if he can come in and turn around our PP, I’ll be highly impressed. it’s nothing short of a fire drill right now without tolvanen and forsberg.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
if he can come in and turn around our PP, I’ll be highly impressed. it’s nothing short of a fire drill right now without tolvanen and forsberg.
Arvy is playing so much better right now in general, but... well... sorry Arvy, I'm not sure he's our best option on the PP. He is throwing too many pucks away. :(

I'm also just going to assume whatever Ellis' injury is, it affects his ability to play on the PP in some fashion? I don't know, but to me, his PP ability... and his pinching and puck control at the line... are actually pretty big strengths in his game. I know Ekholm bailed us out nicely when everybody else went down, and I like Ekholm better than Ellis as an overall d-man... but at least on the 2nd unit I would love to see Ellis back to the PP. Or perhaps even go back to 2D on the first unit. Both Josi and Ellis pinch a fair amount anyway and can shift down low as needed, so at this time I don't see any special advantage in having 4 forwards out there? :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Arvy is playing so much better right now in general, but... well... sorry Arvy, I'm not sure he's our best option on the PP. He is throwing too many pucks away. :(

I'm also just going to assume whatever Ellis' injury is, it affects his ability to play on the PP in some fashion? I don't know, but to me, his PP ability... and his pinching and puck control at the line... are actually pretty big strengths in his game. I know Ekholm bailed us out nicely when everybody else went down, and I like Ekholm better than Ellis as an overall d-man... but at least on the 2nd unit I would love to see Ellis back to the PP. Or perhaps even go back to 2D on the first unit. Both Josi and Ellis pinch a fair amount anyway and can shift down low as needed, so at this time I don't see any special advantage in having 4 forwards out there? :dunno:
If they're going to have shooters out on the wings rather than puck control guys I'd much rather have Ellis shooting on the left side and put Arvi back in front of the net or as the bumper.

Might try
Trenin at the net front
Arvi as the bumper
Johanson on the right wall
Ellis on the left wall or Granlund if Ellis can't shoot the puck but that wrister has looked good since he's been back.
Josi at the blueline

That leaves some better options for the second PP than what we're seeing now.

Reactions: triggrman

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
If they're going to have shooters out on the wings rather than puck control guys I'd much rather have Ellis shooting on the left side and put Arvi back in front of the net or as the bumper.

Might try
Trenin at the net front
Arvi as the bumper
Johanson on the right wall
Ellis on the left wall or Granlund if Ellis can't shoot the puck but that wrister has looked good since he's been back.
Josi at the blueline

That leaves some better options for the second PP than what we're seeing now.
A lot of this 1-3-1 just doesn't make much sense. Granlund can be effective playing the half-board a position where you want a guy who can get to pucks, create space, drive the play, and have a laser shot. That's what he did in Minnesota. So he's the net man. Arvy just isn't a sniper, but has proven he has the quick hands and feet to get greasy goals at the net front. So he's on the half-boards. Johansen is a gifted passer and has been very effective on the wing driving the play. So they use him as an orange traffic cone in the slot. Has he crashed down for a shot-pass deflection once this year? I can't remember it if he has. :huh:

Honestly, Tolvanen's insanely badass wrist shot has bailed the PP out this year. It's obvious now that he's out of the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldOnGold

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think if Tomasino has shown decent in practice he has a shot to get in the lineup after that game. His strengths of skating and decision making with the puck on his stick should in theory be exactly what we are missing against this Carolina team.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
A lot of this 1-3-1 just doesn't make much sense. Granlund can be effective playing the half-board a position where you want a guy who can get to pucks, create space, drive the play, and have a laser shot. That's what he did in Minnesota. So he's the net man. Arvy just isn't a sniper, but has proven he has the quick hands and feet to get greasy goals at the net front. So he's on the half-boards. Johansen is a gifted passer and has been very effective on the wing driving the play. So they use him as an orange traffic cone in the slot. Has he crashed down for a shot-pass deflection once this year? I can't remember it if he has. :huh:

Honestly, Tolvanen's insanely badass wrist shot has bailed the PP out this year. It's obvious now that he's out of the lineup.
I agree that the personnel needs to be moved around but they couldn't even get set up tonight. A simple zone entry was damn near impossible. Crazy how this group almost seems over coached and can't get out of their own way...literally.
I disagree that it's as simplistic as Tolvanen's shot. Yes, his shot is ridiculously good and it makes the PP have a threat on both sides of the formation when he and Forsberg are out there. But to say it just his shot discounts every other aspect of his game that allowed that PP to start producing.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I think if Tomasino has shown decent in practice he has a shot to get in the lineup after that game. His strengths of skating and decision making with the puck on his stick should in theory be exactly what we are missing against this Carolina team.
I don't disagree at all. Where do you put him?

I'd probably try him with Joey and Arv. Can Grimaldi play D instead of Davies?

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I agree that the personnel needs to be moved around but they couldn't even get set up tonight. A simple zone entry was damn near impossible. Crazy how this group almost seems over coached and can't get out of their own way...literally.
I disagree that it's as simplistic as Tolvanen's shot. Yes, his shot is ridiculously good and it makes the PP have a threat on both sides of the formation when he and Forsberg are out there. But to say it just his shot discounts every other aspect of his game that allowed that PP to start producing.
Well, I wasn't really intending to oversimplify it down to the pointy part of a dunce cap.

I actually agree that Tolvanen brings more to the PP than his shot. Taking absolutely nothing away from the other things he does, his ability to hit the back of the net is the definition of the capstone of a successful PP.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't disagree at all. Where do you put him?

I'd probably try him with Joey and Arv. Can Grimaldi play D instead of Davies?

I like him on either top line right now. I think letting him play with Jarnkrok gives him a little extra help on the defensive side. Arvy has been our best forward the last 6 games, so there's definitely a need to give him more to work with as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00