Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Corey Pronman;
24. Nashville Predators: Philip Tomasino, C, Niagara-OHL
July 28, 2001 | six-foot | 181 pounds

Tomasino is a very talented forward who started the season down the lineup but worked his way into a decent role on a top OHL team. He’s got all the tools to succeed in the modern day NHL. He’s a very fast skater with high-end puck skills and the vision to make difficult plays. His pace is good but I wish he used his high-end speed a bit more. Tomasino is a threat off the rush due to how quickly his feet and hands move, and when you think of “playing fast,” he’s a guy who is built to do that. He looks to make plays, often finding tight lanes, and he has the creativity to make unique passes. Tomasino has a slight build and isn’t the best at winning 1-on-1 battles in the tough areas. He can at times get pushed around and out of the game, and other times he’ll drive the tough areas. He’ll need to work on the consistency of his play and making the most of his tools, but he’s got the ability to impact a shift like few in this class do.

Niagara IceDogs coach Billy Burke on Tomasino: “His speed and his skating stand out. He’s fast from the start of his shift to the end of his shift. He’s able to find his teammates and make plays while he’s going fast. He’s developing into a dynamic playmaker.

Team Fit: In Tomasino, Nashville gets one of the most dynamic forwards outside the top 10, and a player who can excite with his speed and skill. He has warts in his consistency/all-around game that likely scared teams off, but I like the value at No. 24. The Preds’ system needed talent, and he is full of it. He becomes one of, if not their top prospect, although I would need to think about the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: HITMAN88

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

Philip Tomasino
NHL player comparable: Claude Giroux
The breakdown: “He’s so good at stripping pucks. He’s skilled, smart, elusive, sneaky skill. I think he could be a No. 1 center. He’s a good player. A really good player.”

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
We have to love the skating ability and the ascending nature of his talent/projection. Maybe we have a sleeper talent on our hands.

Reactions: predhead1

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Tomasino is a stud. Enjoy him. I had him at 11 and was praying he didn’t go in the conference or to the Isles.

Here’s my report on him-
“Tomasino has developed more than any prospect I’ve seen throughout the season. His East-West game improved and he’s become a line driver. More power play time next year can lead to Tomasino exploding offensively as he has the toolbox to do so. His release is quick and accurate, Tomasino’s a threat to score around the net and from the circles. He was more engaged later in the season, constantly buzzing around looking for scoring opportunities or to get open. His speed is ridiculous as well, Tomasino’s acceleration allows him to fly by defenseman and once he gets stronger he’ll be able to push them off with ease. High potential”

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Meh..
Would have rather had the Russian , or Suzuki or My boy Bobby Brink

Very underwhelming pick , wouldn’t be surprised if he busts
Typical Poile safe pick. 50/50 on him busting. One breakout season doesn’t always work out.
Him and McMicheal were basically the same player.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
I guess Poile and co. got a pretty good look at him since now ex-Preds prospect Paquette was a teammate of his in Niagara last season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
No complaints... speed and maybe some offensive upside still. That's all to the good. I think it would have been hard for the Preds to disappoint me given the board at our pick... we just need players so badly... there might have been a few different mixes of skills available, but Tomasino's game sounds as good as any.

Still some real interesting names for the top of the 2nd too. If the trade action picks up tomorrow that wouldn't be a bad game to get into.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I guess it's inevitable that if Poile picks a risk/reward guy, people will crab he didn't get the surer pick while if he goes the safe route it will be that he doesn't take a chance on the higher talent potential.

Reactions: glenngineer

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The key word in ever y Tomasino review I read is "speed"... and I think that's more of a fit to our "organizational needs" than trying to split things up by position, size, or any other factor. Our team is not fast right now, and we don't have a lot of prospects in general. Lack of speed stands out... we aren't too quick on the forecheck or the backcheck, and aside from the stretch passes to Arvy, you hardly ever see a player's speed as a factor in our games. Josi might be our only D who is even above average for speed. And you can see our team getting beat to pucks and failing to catch up on turnovers all over the ice.

So forget forward, defense, big, small, finishing or playmaking ability, any of that. I can see SPEED as a primary selling point as our biggest need and it sounds like Tomasino is a perfect fit in that respect. Now, it's nice that he's also "not small", and has scored at a decent clip too. So he does bring other valued traits as well. But if we are going to choose a priority feature or tie-breaking characteristic, I am down with picking the speed factor.

Andreas Athanasiou anyone? I haven't seen the player so I'm not saying that's what we got here. I'm just trying to pull out a comparable name that might fit what I'm reading? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad