Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Tomasino with a strong showing. Provided some scoring when the game was actually competitive and with low ice-time. Hopefully, Coach Tourigny gives him some more ice-time going forward.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
When you’re a goal scorer you go out and try to score goals; regardless of your ice time, regardless of your line position, regardless of the opposition, regardless of a coaches opinion, etc. He went out and got 2. Good for him; he was successful.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
When you’re a goal scorer you go out and try to score goals; regardless of your ice time, regardless of your line position, regardless of the opposition, regardless of a coaches opinion, etc. He went out and got 2. Good for him; he was successful.
Yeah, I don't think anybody is saying he wasn't successful. But he should probably be in the top-6 on this team. And that's disappointing. Not on him whatsoever. But still disappointing for other reasons, just as a general matter of Justice.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, I don't think anybody is saying he wasn't successful. But he should probably be in the top-6 on this team. And that's disappointing. Not on him whatsoever. But still disappointing for other reasons, just as a general matter of Justice.

Disappointed in him or ..? Stacked team and the coach has his own favorites. I think he did really well in that first game.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tomasino is 2nd in points for the tournament with 3G 2A. Cozens is the only one infront of him with 3G 4A but he's getting a fair amount more ice time. I mean in the last game Cozens got spoon fed 19:16 TOI while Tomasino got 8:48 TOI. In the destruction of Germany game, Cozens was given 14:19 TOI and Tomasino 11:03 TOI. Tomasino is doing great with the little time he's being given. He's at the top of the team in terms of +/-. Top of the team for SOG. I just don't get why he's not getting more opportunity.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
On the one hand... "let's hope it comes back to bite them and they suffer an embarrassing elimination after underutilizing their top performer"... on the other hand... well I guess we want Tomasino to win too, even if he's getting dissed in the process. On the other other hand, Askarov+Afanaseyev+Chistyakov is a bigger conglomerate to cheer for. And yet they lost to the Czechs. :eek:

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Tomasino is a very good player. I don’t think he’s going to be a number one center, but he could be a very good number two or a top line winger. His skill and skating are fun to watch and he’s a really good player to have coming in. The teams that are building around speed and skill are winning so he’s a great peice and a very good get at 24OA.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
It’s anazing how toma is one of the leading scorers in this tournament and yet his dummy coach gives him zero power play time. Or very very minimal at that. Just shows how good he truly is!

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It’s anazing how toma is one of the leading scorers in this tournament and yet his dummy coach gives him zero power play time. Or very very minimal at that. Just shows how good he truly is!

Is Don Cherry coaching Canada?

I heard that Tomasino's 4 goals got him promoted to the third line.

Canada must have some butt kicking players on lines 1 and 2!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Glad he's finally on his way. I thought he looked dangerous most of the time when he was on the ice in that final, but in the end the whole tournament came down to him basically being pigeon-holed into an auxiliary role. He could have been a winger on a top line instead, and probably would have been cleanly #2 in scoring on Team Canada, gotten 11 or 12 points. Instead he was slotted lower, and still 4 goals was tied for 2nd I think.

So on to the next step. Which I imagine ends up being Taxi Squad to start with, barring injuries... missing camp I don't think you start him out on the opening night roster. But keep him around and see how things are looking and if he shows well on the Taxi Squad, slide him into a few games here and there and see where it goes. I don't think there should be any firm expectations for this season one way or the other. He might push his way into the mix, but it's also ok if he's not quite ready for that. No rush. And if the OHL comes back and there's going to be a Memorial Cup, then as long as he's not tearing it up in our top-6, send him there... I don't think that will happen, but if it does, that'll be good for him too.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
He was really good throughout the tournament. Started as a scratch and made his way onto the 2nd PP unit and from time to time in the top-six (although, Dach's injury factored into all that). Managed to score some goals versus other teams than Germany and overall drove the play well. Against weaker competition on the 4th line but also with weaker teammates. They were telling in last night's Finnish broadcast that according to analytics, he had the best expected goals % of all Canada's forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->