Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I don't have a problem with them being patient and not playing him this year. If they were determined that they weren't going to rush him, let him play in Chicago and act as if he was in Juniors and couldn't come play with the big club I don't have a problem with that. Now, once the playoffs start and he can be a Black Ace it would be nice to see if he has anything to offer if the team isn't scoring.

Doesnt 1 playoff game burn a year of the ELC? Or did that happen with playing in the AHL anyway?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
AHL didn't count for junior players this year. I would assume he still has 9 games, playoffs or not
Yeah, the 9 games is any games, regular or playoffs. Since Tomasino is still junior-aged. Next year it won't matter either way, since he'll no longer be a junior so his contract won't slide, regardless of where or how many games he plays.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
No idea but how much do you worry about that?

In a cap world you have to worry about it. If one playoff game burns that year youd better be damn sure hes gonna help you out this year. Which is why I though we should have already given him 3 or 4 to at least have some idea of whether hes ready or not

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
In a cap world you have to worry about it. If one playoff game burns that year youd better be damn sure hes gonna help you out this year. Which is why I though we should have already given him 3 or 4 to at least have some idea of whether hes ready or not
The worry warts on HFBoards obviously think the salary cap is the single most important thing in hockey but I don't think we've seen Poile give a single shit about burning one year of an ELC if it could even potentially help.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The worry warts on HFBoards obviously think the salary cap is the single most important thing in hockey but I don't think we've seen Poile give a single shit about burning one year of an ELC if it could even potentially help.

Losing a year of team control is a pretty big deal too. Also when was the last time we burnt a potential slide year on a player? Girard is the only one I can remember.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box

The first time I can remember him doing it was Upshall. He got his 9 games and looked good but still got sent back to junior. I might be mistaken but I thought he did it with Forsberg after we acquired him as well.

But if the playoffs arent a special case and he still has multiple games, then it's a moot point

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Fabbro for sure. Didn't they burn one with Tolvanen?
The college guys it's basically a built-in perk anymore... you get your 1 game as a condition of signing, and they aren't junior aged anymore, alas. So Fabbro and Farrance were gifted that burned year.

We got 4 years out of Tolvanen on ELC instead of 3, including his first slide year.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Gotcha, still don't think THAT is the consideration that stops them from playing Tomasino. If he's a black ace, they need scoring and he's proven himself in the practices will that one year slide stop them? It's kinda like the dreaded no trades at the deadline thing.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Fabbro for sure. Didn't they burn one with Tolvanen?

They did Fabbro as an incentive to sign and leave college.

Tolvanen they only played 3 games after he came over following the conclusion of Jokerits season in 2018, so yes Poile did save a year on his ELC, and did not burn one

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Gotcha, still don't think THAT is the consideration that stops them from playing Tomasino. If he's a black ace, they need scoring and he's proven himself in the practices will that one year slide stop them? It's kinda like the dreaded no trades at the deadline thing.

Well, I'd say it depends. Since he would have a few games before the year was burned, Poile could play him a little and then decide if he was worth burning the year. But it is a huge consideration for someone who will be due a big salary once they go off their ELC. It would be the difference of having a player with a sub 1M cap hit vs 4 or 5 million if they perform well during the ELC years.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Another 1g/1a last night for Tomasino.

I'm totally content with how things have played out for him this year. We've brought in so many young players already, and a lot of them we really needed to see up close and evaluate because they have waivers/expansion/expiring contract situations to deal with, and they had paid their dues to get those looks already. Tomasino was just going to be in the OHL otherwise, so we've already had a better chance to follow him and get him that taxi squad look and keep tabs on him. He'll get his turn next season.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Another 1g/1a last night for Tomasino.

I'm totally content with how things have played out for him this year. We've brought in so many young players already, and a lot of them we really needed to see up close and evaluate because they have waivers/expansion/expiring contract situations to deal with, and they had paid their dues to get those looks already. Tomasino was just going to be in the OHL otherwise, so we've already had a better chance to follow him and get him that taxi squad look and keep tabs on him. He'll get his turn next season.
I'm really glad he got to work in the AHL this season. The OHL would've been a waste.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wow, at 19, he's top 10 in the AHL in scoring, despite playing in 7-15 games less than most of the other leaders. His 1.19 points per game leads everyone that has played at least 27 games.
Looking through the PPG list and Jeannot was a beast while he was down there this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Last game of the season tonight for the AdWolves... I would imagine that means a few guys will be flying down to be Black Aces for our playoff run. Obviously Tomasino leading the pack in that sense.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->