Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
OHL is officially cancelling their season so Tomasino will not have any concerns about needing to report there at any point. I really wish we would get him in the lineup to see what he can bring. Especially with how bad our PP has been it can't hurt to throw a skilled guy in the mix and see what happens.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
OHL is officially cancelling their season so Tomasino will not have any concerns about needing to report there at any point. I really wish we would get him in the lineup to see what he can bring. Especially with how bad our PP has been it can't hurt to throw a skilled guy in the mix and see what happens.
I have a hard time believing he'd be any less effective than Grimaldi and at least has a chance of having tangible results on the score sheet.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It’s odd. With how ineffective the powerplay has been you’d think he’d get a look. It’s also not like Johanson’s line has been world beaters.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It’s odd. With how ineffective the powerplay has been you’d think he’d get a look. It’s also not like Johanson’s line has been world beaters.

Yeah you think we would have learned after we waited too long to put Tolvanen in the lineup and the huge dividends it ended up paying. Like nine_inch_fang said I can't see him being any worse than Grimaldi (or Cousins for that matter). If we're going to have any chance to win in the playoffs we need to add some more skill to the lineup and Tomasino is our best shot at that as of right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah you think we would have learned after we waited too long to put Tolvanen in the lineup and the huge dividends it ended up playing. Like nine_inch_fang said I can't see him being any worse than Grimaldi (or Cousins for that matter). If we're going to have any chance to win in the playoffs we need to add some more skill to the lineup and Tomasino is our best shot at that as of right now.
He could go in for Cousins but breaking up Arvidsson and Grimaldi is what I'm keying in on most. I don't think we should be working hard to keep Grimaldi in the lineup to begin with but having two tiny fast players with Johanson just hasn't worked. Everyone wants to think Grimaldi is more than he really is because he had an offensive explosion 14 games ago then followed that up with a 1 goal game the next time out, since then he has all of 1 goal and 2 assists while playing the last few weeks in the top 6.

He was a great energy guy on a Lavi team but the energy and hardworking identity line is now obviously the beast line. That kind of heavy game isn't something he can play so I don't see where he really fits into the lineup with a healthy roster or why you'd hold back a kid like Tamassino from getting a look.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
He could go in for Cousins but breaking up Arvidsson and Grimaldi is what I'm keying in on most. I don't think we should be working hard to keep Grimaldi in the lineup to begin with but having two tiny fast players with Johanson just hasn't worked. Everyone wants to think Grimaldi is more than he really is because he had an offensive explosion 14 games ago then followed that up with a 1 goal game the next time out, since then he has all of 1 goal and 2 assists while playing the last few weeks in the top 6.

He was a great energy guy on a Lavi team but the energy and hardworking identity line is now obviously the beast line. That kind of heavy game isn't something he can play so I don't see where he really fits into the lineup with a healthy roster or why you'd hold back a kid like Tamassino from getting a look.
It’s just a bad time to break up the lineup and throw in a kid. Yes, he’s projected to be better than a few of the current group but you’d hope Preds were comfortably in or out so he could be eased in. But I’m ready for them to try him but very carefully. Chemistry is a tough thing to deal with.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It’s just a bad time to break up the lineup and throw in a kid. Yes, he’s projected to be better than a few of the current group but you’d hope Preds were comfortably in or out so he could be eased in. But I’m ready for them to try him but very carefully. Chemistry is a tough thing to deal with.
I wouldn't complain if Tomasino (or someone else) could turn a 0% PP unit into a 5, 10, 20% PP unit.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It may have just been a bit of a schedule fluke that he was called up. AdWolves played the 10th, then not again until the 17th, then not again until the 21st (today!) And both us and the AdWolves are in Chicago on the 21st.

So only missing 1 AHL game traded vs. a week with the Taxi Squad may have been a "lucky alignment" of schedules. :dunno:

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It may have just been a bit of a schedule fluke that he was called up. AdWolves played the 10th, then not again until the 17th, then not again until the 21st (today!) And both us and the AdWolves are in Chicago on the 21st.

So only missing 1 AHL game traded vs. a week with the Taxi Squad may have been a "lucky alignment" of schedules. :dunno:

Tomasino back to Chicago now. Think you probably nailed it here.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Tomasino back to Chicago now. Think you probably nailed it here.
upload_2021-4-21_17-29-41.gif

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm guessing equivalency is some made of fancy stat?
According to the guys replies to some follow up tweets it is a "translation of how their production in the ahl would translate to the nhl". He also says it doesn't take into account the lower quality of the AHL this year, but that "this type of production is so rare that its still very intriguing".

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I like the idea behind NHLe, and that it's not something that the Twitter advanced stats community continuously touts as something super meaningful. I use it in my annual player ratings project, but it's definitely flawed because the sample size to create it is very, very, very small.

So you have to be able to weigh NHLe vs everything else you know about the player to adjust it for a more accurate prediction of how they'd score in the NHL.

In Tomasino's case, seeing what he's done at each level, it's easy to believe that he will be a successful scorer in the NHL. The AHL NHLe scores are usually a little more accurate too because it does have the biggest sample size. But it should really all be viewed as just a fun prediction exercise, and not an actual projection of NHL success.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I like the idea behind NHLe, and that it's not something that the Twitter advanced stats community continuously touts as something super meaningful. I use it in my annual player ratings project, but it's definitely flawed because the sample size to create it is very, very, very small.

So you have to be able to weigh NHLe vs everything else you know about the player to adjust it for a more accurate prediction of how they'd score in the NHL.

In Tomasino's case, seeing what he's done at each level, it's easy to believe that he will be a successful scorer in the NHL. The AHL NHLe scores are usually a little more accurate too because it does have the biggest sample size. But it should really all be viewed as just a fun prediction exercise, and not an actual projection of NHL success.

At one point this year Farrance's NHLe score projected him to be the equivalent of a 150 point forward.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The guy is playing amazing... especially for a 19 year old. I know we talked about how the quality of the competition is lower due to the taxi squads but there's also a couple additional high quality players that would be in the OHL that are playing in the AHL (Tomasino, Byfield, etc). Doesn't quite make up for all of it but it brings the quality of competition back up some.

Reactions: triggrman

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
It’s disappointing to me that we didn’t get him at least a game or two to see what the NHL was like this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Some lineblender in action there... Tomasino was with Novak and I think Bokk the previous game. It's gotta be a little tough for the Wolves lately with soooo many players called up by TWO NHL teams.

Harper | Novak | Gust
Rees | Malone | Bokk
Smith | Solow | Richard
Cotton | Rempal | Tomasino

Lajoie | Warsofsky
Healey | Allard
Fitzgerald | Keane

Bibeau
Warm

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
According to the guys replies to some follow up tweets it is a "translation of how their production in the ahl would translate to the nhl". He also says it doesn't take into account the lower quality of the AHL this year, but that "this type of production is so rare that its still very intriguing".

I just take the AHL stats and multiple by 2/3 for the first full NHL season. Over a few more seasons, a player should get to match of his AHL numbers in the NHL. After that, it is up to the player and team about how far he can go.

For example, Eeli Tolvanen played 58 and 63 games in Milwaukee and scored 15 and 21 goals. That averages out to 0.26 and 0.33 GPG or nearly 0.30 GPG. In the NHL, I would expect 0.20 GPG in his first NHL season. Eeli now has 11 G in 35 games or 0.31 GPG, so he is maintaining his scoring pace already!

Rocco Grimaldi averaged 0.40 GPG in his short stint in Milwaukee. He came with 37 games of NHL experience. This season, Rocco has 9 goals in 39 games for 0.23 GPG. During his 3 years in Nashville, he has scored 24 goals in 158 games for a 0.15 GPG average. His NHL totals are 29 G in 195 games for 0.15 GPG. His NHL scoring is up 53% relative to his career.

Rocco is outscoring Duchene, who has 4 G in 29 games for a 0.14 GPG average season. Duchene's career numbers are 249 G in 822 games for 0.30 GPG. Duchene is at 46% of his career goal scoring average.

Rocco is scoring goals at 64% over Duchene's rate this season or Duchene is scoring at 61% of Grimaldi's rate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad