Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think this highlights how it's really an egg-then-chicken situation. Teams aren't really on the hook for the decision, it comes down to how intrinsically good the player is. If he's good enough and has the higher ceiling, he'll force his way onto a team sooner. If he's not, he'll have to work his way up over a longer period. So basically it just comes down to the fact that we haven't been picking star caliber forwards with our top picks in recent years, not that we have any particular method of development that we adhere to with them.

Now, is Tomasino finally the guy who emerges as a star caliber forward for us? I have no idea, but the odds of that aren't good with a #24 pick. Yes, it has happened. There are Pastrnaks or Ahos or Kucherovs and everybody says, hey, why don't we just get ourselves one of those? When's our turn? Absolutely it is not impossible. But considering all the picks that don't turn out to be players like that, it's also not remotely likely.

We've had the star players coming from later in the draft, it's just been on defense and goal. Weber, Josi and Rinne. Two seconds and Rinne was a 6th or 7th? It's all about perspective.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think this highlights how it's really an egg-then-chicken situation. Teams aren't really on the hook for the decision, it comes down to how intrinsically good the player is. If he's good enough and has the higher ceiling, he'll force his way onto a team sooner. If he's not, he'll have to work his way up over a longer period. So basically it just comes down to the fact that we haven't been picking star caliber forwards with our top picks in recent years, not that we have any particular method of development that we adhere to with them.

Now, is Tomasino finally the guy who emerges as a star caliber forward for us? I have no idea, but the odds of that aren't good with a #24 pick. Yes, it has happened. There are Pastrnaks or Ahos or Kucherovs and everybody says, hey, why don't we just get ourselves one of those? When's our turn? Absolutely it is not impossible. But considering all the picks that don't turn out to be players like that, it's also not remotely likely.

RV was a 4th rounder. Hornqvist was a 7th rounder. Smith was a 4th rounder. It may take a few more years but if Tomasino ends up somewhere in that group then i'll consider it a win. If he lands in the Pastrnaks/Aho/Kucherov area I'll be ecstatic.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
RV was a 4th rounder. Hornqvist was a 7th rounder. Smith was a 4th rounder. It may take a few more years but if Tomasino ends up somewhere in that group then i'll consider it a win. If he lands in the Pastrnaks/Aho/Kucherov area I'll be ecstatic.

He has the vision, speed and shot to get there. The big thing for him is he needs to get quite a bit stronger. So much more talented than the guys he goes against in the OHL but still got knocked off the puck by D-man semi-often

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Turris seems like a prime buy-out candidate, Nashville would save $4M over the next 4 years (but add $2M for the 4 years after that.) If the Preds really think Tomasino is ready for the NHL and could take the 3C spot next season that would be about $3.1M for the Preds to improve their roster elsewhere for the next 3 years while Tomasino is on his ELC.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Turris seems like a prime buy-out candidate, Nashville would save $4M over the next 4 years (but add $2M for the 4 years after that.) If the Preds really think Tomasino is ready for the NHL and could take the 3C spot next season that would be about $3.1M for the Preds to improve their roster elsewhere for the next 3 years while Tomasino is on his ELC.
I don't think Turris is a buy-out candidate at all yet. He's not that bad and the Preds won't be that keen to sign up for that cap penalty.

Tomasino is also not even remotely a candidate to take a #3C or #4C spot on the roster as it stands now. Bonino and Sissons have those jobs. Where Tomasino I could possibly fit in is on the wings on a scoring line. Whatever those lines end up looking like and whatever number you assign to them... but he could play wing to Duchene, for example, most optimistically. I don't think there would be very much point in playing him in the NHL as a teenager in a lesser role, and especially not as a center.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
He is 19 and not out of the OHL. To even mention him in the same sentence as Pastrnak/Aho/Kucherov is laughable. If he were elite he would be in the NHL today. The best hope is going to be a 20 goal 40 point guy that is if he even sticks in the league.

I get it you guys want to be excited about something but my goodness somehow you have to look at the reality sometimes.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I don't think Turris is a buy-out candidate at all yet. He's not that bad and the Preds won't be that keen to sign up for that cap penalty.

Tomasino is also not even remotely a candidate to take a #3C or #4C spot on the roster as it stands now. Bonino and Sissons have those jobs. Where Tomasino I could possibly fit in is on the wings on a scoring line. Whatever those lines end up looking like and whatever number you assign to them... but he could play wing to Duchene, for example, most optimistically. I don't think there would be very much point in playing him in the NHL as a teenager in a lesser role, and especially not as a center.

1) I'm still in the house of pay 50% so you have 3 million a year for 4 years vs a buyout of 2 million for 8 years.

2) I'm wondering HOW good he has to be to bypass Milwaukee or the CHL? UNLESS, ownership is asking for him now. Poile likes over-riping vs the chaos of the expansion era.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
1) I'm still in the house of pay 50% so you have 3 million a year for 4 years vs a buyout of 2 million for 8 years.

2) I'm wondering HOW good he has to be to bypass Milwaukee or the CHL? UNLESS, ownership is asking for him now. Poile likes over-riping vs the chaos of the expansion era.
Who has Poile over ripened? For the life of me I can not think of one player who has been a bonified top 6 guy that Poile ever over ripened in the minors. The opposite is certainly true as recent as Fialia who if he had an extra year in the AHL would have been much more valuable. It is a tenuous thing when a player is ready as fans we want them ready immediately when in reality few players are ready before 21 or 22. Even top picks often need some time before they make the team. Nathan McKinnion did not emerge until after his 3rd year in the league. Draisaitl did not break 20 goals until his 3rd year, Taylor Hall did not break 60 points until his 4th year, Tyler Seguin had 22 points his rookie year it took until his 4th year for Sam Reinhart to break 50 points it was his 4th year before Jack Eichel was finally a PPG player. All of these guys were top 5 picks seen as sure hits in the league. All could have used at least one year in minor hockey.

The reality of the league now is a rush to youth but it is also true that these younger players are not prepared for the league. For every one that has a great rookie year you will see 5 or more that are borderline failing. Of course you have your McDavid's and Crosbys from time to time but they are the exception instead of the rule.

Many here still have Fialia envy he is now and will probably always be a 40 point guy. Which is something good every team needs 40 point guys but he did it one time here again his 3rd year he dropped and got traded. While he is now playing 1st line and had 54 points do any think he could have beat out Arvy or Forsberg to get those minutes here? Would he have continued 40 points on the 2nd line we have here> It is questionable since that is a big part of the reason for his down year. Overall he was not developed well granted most of it was him and his temper tantrums of not making the team the year Arvy did and pouting in Milwaukee.

Now many want to bring a 19 year old kid up out of the OHL a league of 16 to 21 year olds. If this happens his chances of success are pretty small and the negative effect on the player is even worse. But it is probably going to happen due to salary Cap and Poiles overpayment of three underperforming centers. These are not good times.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
He is 19 and not out of the OHL. To even mention him in the same sentence as Pastrnak/Aho/Kucherov is laughable. If he were elite he would be in the NHL today. The best hope is going to be a 20 goal 40 point guy that is if he even sticks in the league.

You do realize that Kucherov didn't make his NHL debut until his draft plus two year and at age 19 was playing in QJMHL. Aho also didn't debut in the NHL until his draft plus one year which is currently where Tomasino stands. I'm not saying he will reach the level of any of those guys, but to act like he can't since he hasn't played in the NHL yet is a poor take.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
From Scott Wheeler's post-draft 2020 top 50 prospect rankings.

29. Philip Tomasino, C, 19 (Nashville Predators — 24th overall, 2019)
Previous ranking: No. 20

Tomasino’s ability to handle the puck, make plays at top speed and knife through lanes in all three zones is exciting enough. Then you realize that he’s a right-shot centre who has grown into his frame and worked to show some doubters that he can be reliable off the puck. He’s exactly the kind of player the Predators need and exactly the kind of playing you want leading the charge through the middle of the ice to draw attention and play through layers with his touch and finesse. I have always had minor reservations about whether either of his goal scoring touch and playmaking ability was quite high-end enough as NHL qualities (they’ve both always graded out highly but neither distinguished itself from the other) but I’ve come to terms with the fact that what makes him so slick is that he’s never really looking to impact the game in any one way. He takes what comes to him and he has the talent to execute in any number of ways.

the only Predators prospect to make the list. Goalie rankings to follow tomorrow.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Where does he go if he doesn't make the team?
Oshawa for their Memorial Cup run... if there's an OHL season.

But frankly I think it should depend a lot on the projections of just whether or not it looks like there will be an OHL season at the time. I would say even if in a normal year he's not quite ready to make the team - and on top of that if it looks like there isn't going to be an OHL season - then you just keep him around on the Preds anyway. He can train and practice with us, more useful than skating in whatever OHL group he might otherwise be skating in during a shutdown.

The NHL can still run a season with no fans. Or start a season anyway. But the OHL probably can't.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens in some of these leagues. Kind of wonder too how many colleges will opt out and guys may end up signing rather than sitting for a year.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Definitely going to be interesting to see what happens in some of these leagues. Kind of wonder too how many colleges will opt out and guys may end up signing rather than sitting for a year.

NCAA gave permission to players to play NON CHL junior if season does not happen.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

Is it normal for a player going back to the OHL to be assigned a number? Or.....

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Wonder how it will affect his chances to make the Preds now that it looks like he’ll miss all of Preds camp because it’s during Canada’s camp that Tomasino is already at. He’d also miss the first couple games of the regular season

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wonder how it will affect his chances to make the Preds now that it looks like he’ll miss all of Preds camp because it’s during Canada’s camp that Tomasino is already at. He’d also miss the first couple games of the regular season
I would think the things that affect his chances more are:

1) if/when there will even an OHL season - no OHL (or OHL with no contact) means he stays with the Preds

2) how the Preds use their remaining Cap space - if they sign a couple more players at some point, there may be a threshold where there's no room left for Tomasino.

I don't think any WJC overlap would have an effect. :dunno:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I would think the things that affect his chances more are:

1) if/when there will even an OHL season - no OHL (or OHL with no contact) means he stays with the Preds

2) how the Preds use their remaining Cap space - if they sign a couple more players at some point, there may be a threshold where there's no room left for Tomasino.

I don't think any WJC overlap would have an effect. :dunno:

Idk I think missing the entire camp is a huge factor when Nashville has a full roster so he's needing to beat someone out of a job in order to stay. Hard to beat someone out of a job when you're joining the team a week into the season already starting and you havent practiced or played with any of the people ever

Obviously if the OHL season is cancelled then he'll be staying in the NHL. The no contact thing was never going to happen. That was just an out of touch politician that was shot down within a day. They'd cancel before they'd do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad