Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Probably needs to fill out a bit but in every other way yes. Not a fan of rushing prospects but this guy will be a good NHL scorer some day with the potential to be a star. Think Barzal.
Pretty big numbers for the OHL with 21 left. He is only +8 with those 100 points. Can you tell us about this it would appear the line he is on suffers defensively. His goals and asst's show that his linemates should be doing pretty well also. Is he used at all on the PK? It is hard to get real excited about big numbers before the AHL for me I kept up with Linden Vey and Emerson Etem when they had multiple 100 point seasons in Medicine Hat then flamed out in the NHL. The OHL has 30 players now with over 70 points with 20 or 21 games left. I do like the comparison to Barzal though I really wanted the Preds to trade up that year and pick him.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Makes me wonder what's the next step for him? Is tearing up the OHL next year as well the best progressing platform for him? Or is he NHL ready?

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
He only has 2 choices right? OHL or NHL. Afanasyev can go AHL but Tomasino will be in the O again and likely put up more gaudy numbers.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Pretty big numbers for the OHL with 21 left. He is only +8 with those 100 points. Can you tell us about this it would appear the line he is on suffers defensively. His goals and asst's show that his linemates should be doing pretty well also. Is he used at all on the PK? It is hard to get real excited about big numbers before the AHL for me I kept up with Linden Vey and Emerson Etem when they had multiple 100 point seasons in Medicine Hat then flamed out in the NHL. The OHL has 30 players now with over 70 points with 20 or 21 games left. I do like the comparison to Barzal though I really wanted the Preds to trade up that year and pick him.
Draisaitl has 110 points and is a minus 4 just saying

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
+/- is worthless.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
+/- is worthless.
+- is relevant for your top lines. The lines that create your scoring must create more than they allow it is really that simple. It is also a struggle that bot Duchene and Johansen have had thru there career's.

Reactions: CMDEADLY

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
+/- is useful in comparing teammates across a season and Tomasino is +8 on a team where two other forwards are -20 and -25. His +8 is second best on the team.

He was 4th best on Niagara with a 0 on a team with 13 players at -20 or worse.

He's also a winger, with the least defensive responsibility on the ice. Oh and power plays still exist and PP goals still count as much as ES goals.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Gosh, just hit the 100 point mark. That’s good, right? It was starting to sound like we weren’t excited about that. Looking to me like the beginning of good steps with our last draft. More power to you guys and get to the NHL quickly; we need you!

Reactions: maplepred

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
would you guy see him as your next #2c or 1c ?
At this point, it's just too early to say. But imagine this timeline for Tomasino:
2020-21: last season of junior
2021-22: first taste of pros in Milwaukee
2022-23: maybe Preds, maybe Milwaukee
2023-24: maybe Preds, maybe Milwaukee
2024-25: first real chance he could be a top player for us if the previous two seasons he did well

In 2024-25 Johansen will be on the last year of his deal, and Turris' deal will have just expired, so that checks out. Duchene's deal ends in 2025-26. So I could see him getting a chance around that timeframe...

IF he's able to stick at center in the NHL... which so far as I've heard is not really likely. He probably has a much better chance of being a top-6 winger sooner.
:dunno:

Reactions: Techcoockie

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
At this point, it's just too early to say. But imagine this timeline for Tomasino:
2020-21: last season of junior
2021-22: first taste of pros in Milwaukee
2022-23: maybe Preds, maybe Milwaukee
2023-24: maybe Preds, maybe Milwaukee
2024-25: first real chance he could be a top player for us if the previous two seasons he did well

In 2024-25 Johansen will be on the last year of his deal, and Turris' deal will have just expired, so that checks out. Duchene's deal ends in 2025-26. So I could see him getting a chance around that timeframe...

IF he's able to stick at center in the NHL... which so far as I've heard is not really likely. He probably has a much better chance of being a top-6 winger sooner.
:dunno:
so you think he doesn’t make the NHL until he is 23?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
so you think he doesn’t make the NHL until he is 23?
That was a hypothetical timeline for him becoming a #1 or #2C for us.

I don't have any opinion on when he makes the NHL, I've never seen him play. But 2022-23 seems like a reasonable suggestion for him becoming a regular in the NHL, though not likely a #1 or #2C right away. It's only really 2021-22 that seems to be a likely earlier possibility, but again in a lesser role.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I still get confused about something. How can other teams get youngsters to the NHL so much faster than Nashville? Why would this kid need another junior year? Then a year or 2 in the AHL? That route may work well for Dmen but Nashville really hasn’t been extremely successful in developing forwards this way.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I still get confused about something. How can other teams get youngsters to the NHL so much faster than Nashville? Why would this kid need another junior year? Then a year or 2 in the AHL? That route may work well for Dmen but Nashville really hasn’t been extremely successful in developing forwards this way.
I think it is too small a sample size to really draw any generalizations.

Tomasino at #24 and Tolvanen at #30 are not in the range where players usually step right in. Fiala at #11 was getting closer... but then we are talking an undersized prospect from Switzerland, so it's not surprising his path was a little longer.

I don't think it's as common for other teams to get youngsters into the NHL faster as we probably think. The times it happens stick out in our minds. The exceptional cases stand out. But relative to all the actual numbers of picks, it's probably not all that common? :dunno:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

Because their teams are shit.

Reactions: PredsV82

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It is kind of true though, we've had this discussion with stats a couple of times over the past year or so. If Tomasino takes more than half of an AHL season to develop, he might become a solid NHL player but not a great one. Almost every great NHL forward in recent memory has either bypassed the AHL or torched it in 20 games or so, forced a call-up and never went back.

Give him 9 games next season to see how he hangs, he probably ends up back in the OHL. Season after that, start in the AHL and hope that he shows himself to be in that elite category rather than the needs multiple AHL seasons category.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It is kind of true though, we've had this discussion with stats a couple of times over the past year or so. If Tomasino takes more than half of an AHL season to develop, he might become a solid NHL player but not a great one. Almost every great NHL forward in recent memory has either bypassed the AHL or torched it in 20 games or so, forced a call-up and never went back.

Give him 9 games next season to see how he hangs, he probably ends up back in the OHL. Season after that, start in the AHL and hope that he shows himself to be in that elite category rather than the needs multiple AHL seasons category.
I think this highlights how it's really an egg-then-chicken situation. Teams aren't really on the hook for the decision, it comes down to how intrinsically good the player is. If he's good enough and has the higher ceiling, he'll force his way onto a team sooner. If he's not, he'll have to work his way up over a longer period. So basically it just comes down to the fact that we haven't been picking star caliber forwards with our top picks in recent years, not that we have any particular method of development that we adhere to with them.

Now, is Tomasino finally the guy who emerges as a star caliber forward for us? I have no idea, but the odds of that aren't good with a #24 pick. Yes, it has happened. There are Pastrnaks or Ahos or Kucherovs and everybody says, hey, why don't we just get ourselves one of those? When's our turn? Absolutely it is not impossible. But considering all the picks that don't turn out to be players like that, it's also not remotely likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->