Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
McMichael would probably be worth gushing about just as much if we had picked him instead. I don't remember having had any strong opinions either way, but I might have voted for Brink at one point in a poll. Not knowing anything about any of them. Definitely much happier to have Tomasino now!!!

Hopefully I'll be saying the same thing soon about Seth Jarvis vs. Askarov. I'm looking forward to it! :handclap:

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Funny thing is I was right it was a safe pick and McMicheal and he had almost the exact same season. But I will say he is less likely to bust now.

Reactions: triggrman

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't know if the lines are "real" yet, but I see Tomasino listed in a "spare forward" role atm for Team Canada. Canada why??? That kinda sucks. :(

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't know if the lines are "real" yet, but I see Tomasino listed in a "spare forward" role atm for Team Canada. Canada why??? That kinda sucks. :(

It's a pretty stacked forward group they have but probably not a great sign for his possibilities of cracking an NHL roster right out the gate. Here's to hoping a couple guys on Canada have a rough game and Tomasino gets in the lineup once the real games start.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

It's a really stacked roster and the head coach seems dead set on three lines:

Quinn - Cozens - Dach
Perfetti - McMichael - Krebs
Holloway - Newhook - Pelletier

So there's only two winger spots left. I think he'll get a look at some point of the tournament in case one of the lines fail. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's a pretty stacked forward group they have but probably not a great sign for his possibilities of cracking an NHL roster right out the gate. Here's to hoping a couple guys on Canada have a rough game and Tomasino gets in the lineup once the real games start.
I don't have anything to go on beyond reading the Team Canada thread here. It SOUNDS like he produced well and showed well in everything leading up to this. Just that they are a little more focused on finding ways of getting other guys going, and as a result Tomasino's good showing was allowed to fall between the cracks to some extent.

It sounds like it's totally within the realm of possibility that he could reclaim a starting role. But still, I guess it's just a bit of a bummer that he doesn't already have that out of the gate.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I don't have anything to go on beyond reading the Team Canada thread here. It SOUNDS like he produced well and showed well in everything leading up to this. Just that they are a little more focused on finding ways of getting other guys going, and as a result Tomasino's good showing was allowed to fall between the cracks to some extent.

It sounds like it's totally within the realm of possibility that he could reclaim a starting role. But still, I guess it's just a bit of a bummer that he doesn't already have that out of the gate.

Yeah, I guess, he kind of fell through because other players have had chemistry before in their national teams. I don't think dropping him out of the rotation, at least at first, is a indication of him being a worse player at all.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Is he a year younger than most of the team Canada players?
No, the players are all from the 2020 and 2019 drafts basically. But it's a pretty even split, 12/13. Although quite a few of the 2020 picks were late-year 2001 birthdays. So Tomasino as a 2019 pick is in the "older class" of players. It's his last year of junior eligibility.

I think it just came down to the coach's vision of his line chemistry. But to be the 14th forward and have only yourself and the 3rd goalie sitting in the pressbox must be disappointing. Not as disappointing as sitting at home and not making the team, of course. Perhaps if Dach is injured it will let Tomasino back in the door. :dunno:

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Dach injured and will miss the rest of the tourney. Maybe Phil gets a shot now.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Now that Dach is out for the tournament, Tomasino will get his look. I think Canada will keep the McMichael and the Newhook line intact but make some changes elsewhere.

Also, can I just rant Andre Tourigny, the HC for Team Canada for a second?

Tomasino was the 2nd most productive player in the 4 game intra-squad games but eventually gets pushed out of the lineup as Tourigny's own team's (Ottawat 67's) Jack Quinn gets spoon fed top line ice-time even though he hadn't done jackshit the whole training camp and looked like absolute trash last night as well.

I just hate these coaches who coach a national team but bring guys from their own teams and favor them. I hope Tomasino gets a fair chance now and shoves it in Tourigny's face.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
You cant judge much when its 11-1 after 2 periods. Obviously better than if he was scoreless in a game like this but nothing to get too excited about

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
question is, is Tomassino that good (2g, 1A) or is Germany that shit?
To be fair Germany is only rolling 14 guys on the roster and it is not the primary goalie.

But it is still pretty fun to watch our guy rocking and rolling after getting snubbed initially.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well, you could play 11 mins on the 4th line in a game like this and get nothing... or 2g+1a... the latter is obviously a nicer outcome. I don't suppose it will have any real effect on Tomasino's deployment moving forward, which is still disappointing, but at least getting on the scoreboard in this bizarre mismatch of a game is better than not getting on it. I watched the 1st and it was more than a little frustrating that he was of course assigned to serve the major, but at least satisfying that he scored right after, even if he flubbed his shot a bit. It's not much of a game to really go on, giving how wiped the German team was, and in particular how bad their goalies were, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad