Prospect Info: Philip Tomasino, C, 24th Overall, Niagara IceDogs

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'd assume if we seriously think he's NHL ready we would pull him out of the WJC and make him come to our camp. Unless that's something we aren't allowed to do. Would suck for him to miss out on the WJC, but I'd imagine Predators camp would be viewed as more important for his development.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I'd assume if we seriously think he's NHL ready we would pull him out of the WJC and make him come to our camp. Unless that's something we aren't allowed to do. Would suck for him to miss out on the WJC, but I'd imagine Predators camp would be viewed as more important for his development.

You're allowed to (Chicago will do that with Dach and NYR will do that with Lafreniere), but Nashville won't do that with Tomasino. He's not a for sure NHLer this year like Dach/Lafreniere are

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
You're allowed to (Chicago will do that with Dach and NYR will do that with Lafreniere), but Nashville won't do that with Tomasino. He's not a for sure NHLer this year like Dach/Lafreniere are
Unless something changes in the Predators lineup i don't see how they don't put tolvanen and Tomasino in there atleast to try them out. He may not stick past 9 games but as it sits right now the top 6 is so full of holes they have nothing to lose by trying them there.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's also possible that the next NHL return-to-play process will again allow the team to carry more than the usual 23 players. To avoid player movement with callups/demotions etc. If that is in play, it's always possible Tomasino could again have greater benefit sticking around here as an expanded-roster Black Ace than anything else available to him.

I would also not be averse to just leaving Tolvanen in the KHL until the end of their season. It's not at all clear that he's ready to make any significant impact here yet. So no harm in letting his loan go right to the end of the KHL season. At least he'd be playing high level hockey either way. And if he can stick in a top-6 spot there, that might be better for his development than a pressbox/rotation spot here.
:dunno:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Unless something changes in the Predators lineup i don't see how they don't put tolvanen and Tomasino in there atleast to try them out. He may not stick past 9 games but as it sits right now the top 6 is so full of holes they have nothing to lose by trying them there.

Yeah Tomasino will definitely play some NHL games (even up to 9 games), they're just not going to have him miss the World Juniors to be with them.

The schedule is also looking like it will coincide perfectly with him playing a handful of games then going OHL.

-December: Canada Camp
-World Juniors: Dec 25-Jan 5
-With Nashville: Jan 6-Feb 4
-OHL season starts Feb 4

That would have him with Nashville for a month to practice with them and play up to 9 games and then go back to oshawa for game 1 of the OHL season. Obviously if he lights it up for Nashville that could change and he could stick, but the timing looks to be almost perfect for him going back to the OHL for 1 more year

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's also possible that the next NHL return-to-play process will again allow the team to carry more than the usual 23 players. To avoid player movement with callups/demotions etc. If that is in play, it's always possible Tomasino could again have greater benefit sticking around here as an expanded-roster Black Ace than anything else available to him.

I would also not be averse to just leaving Tolvanen in the KHL until the end of their season. It's not at all clear that he's ready to make any significant impact here yet. So no harm in letting his loan go right to the end of the KHL season. At least he'd be playing high level hockey either way. And if he can stick in a top-6 spot there, that might be better for his development than a pressbox/rotation spot here.
Not to mention you wouldn't want 1 case to disrupt a team for 2 weeks. Rosters will have to be expanded.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019

Tolvanen is quickly becoming an after-thought. He’s played himself into that position. I still have expectations but I just don’t know.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ah, don't worry. By the time we're done with him, he'll be as sound a two-way forward as any but can't top 40 points in the NHL.

Depending on what Nashville's plan for him long term is will determine if he's in Nashville or Oshawa this year I think. What I mean by that is if they see him as a winger going forward then keep him in Nashville this year and learn on the job because he can come in and create offensively right away and get by being a winger in the D-zone. But if they see him being a centre long term, I think they send him back to Oshawa (after a handful of NHL games) because I don't think he could hang in his own zone in the NHL yet, which is the case for 99% of junior players.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Depending on what Nashville's plan for him long term is will determine if he's in Nashville or Oshawa this year I think. What I mean by that is if they see him as a winger going forward then keep him in Nashville this year and learn on the job because he can come in and create offensively right away and get by being a winger in the D-zone. But if they see him being a centre long term, I think they send him back to Oshawa (after a handful of NHL games) because I don't think he could hang in his own zone in the NHL yet, which is the case for 99% of junior players.

I think I see a same progressing curve for him as I see for Robert Thomas in St. Louis. Ease him in as a winger in the NHL, then after a year or two, when he's rounded his overall game, move him to the center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->