OT: Philadelphia Union Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Get a full-time translator. You could afford one or two or three.

You could have a Translation Team.

I was thinking the same thing. Going to email their manager and see if thats alright. I have a feeling though that their going to pick the guy who can speak Chinese. The offer went out to a few people.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
But, they come back to get a tie in dramatic fashion. Still, you should not tie a team like the New England Revolution, let alone have to battle back from 3 goals down to get said tie.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Plenty of blame to go around for that first half, starting with the coach for still having Miglioranzi on the payroll, let alone within shouting distance of the field, let alone actually starting a game. There's no way that guy is actually Brazilian the way he plays. Why is Okugo on the bench and Migz playing? I need an answer to this question.

Le Toux, for all his problems, is a ****ing machine on penalties. Do the goals start falling for him now?

NE's time-wasting was disgraceful. Not surprising, expected even, but disgraceful nonetheless. If you get carded for time-wasting in the first half, you are such a ****ing *****.

Old Serb... I like the guy and will not make general comments about him based on just this game, but he completely blew three golden opportunities, including that one that was just on a platter. Come on, man.

Freddy Adu + Roger Torres is lovely to watch.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Plenty of blame to go around for that first half, starting with the coach for still having Miglioranzi on the payroll, let alone within shouting distance of the field, let alone actually starting a game. There's no way that guy is actually Brazilian the way he plays. Why is Okugo on the bench and Migz playing? I need an answer to this question.

I agree with you 100%. Migz is absolutely terrible.

GirouxGiroux said:
Le Toux, for all his problems, is a ****ing machine on penalties. Do the goals start falling for him now?

After every penalty kick he has converted this year this question has been asked. He finally netted a "real" goal last night, but he had a number of opportunities where he chose to make an extra pass instead of shooting.

GirouxGiroux said:
NE's time-wasting was disgraceful. Not surprising, expected even, but disgraceful nonetheless. If you get carded for time-wasting in the first half, you are such a ****ing *****.

This is one of the reasons why soccer in NA just will never be popular. In what other sport can you not put the ball into play and have the clock run? The solution to these time wasting tactics is to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play.

GirouxGiroux said:
Old Serb... I like the guy and will not make general comments about him based on just this game, but he completely blew three golden opportunities, including that one that was just on a platter. Come on, man.

Agreed, but he has also converted a few goals this season so it's hard to criticize him

GirouxGiroux said:
Freddy Adu + Roger Torres is lovely to watch.

Definitely.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
After every penalty kick he has converted this year this question has been asked. He finally netted a "real" goal last night, but he had a number of opportunities where he chose to make an extra pass instead of shooting.

he netted a "real" goal Saturday vs RSL and it was a beauty

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Sorry, forgot about that one. So he has 2 "real" goals this season. I'm sure that Nowak was expecting much more from him this year than scoring his first "real" goal in the end of August.

agreed.

le toux has been a bit snake bitten around the net this season, but don't necessarily take that as gospel. le toux is still the backbone of this team, and he contributes in many more ways than just scoring goals, and even that is not due to a lack of effort. le toux gives 110% every match, and that's what everyone loves about him. The goals are starting to come now, and hopefully he has a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. He and Adu really stepped up last night in the 2nd half, and hopefully that's a sign of a turned corner.

sadly, even with the great effort to get a tie out of last nights match, it's still hard to be proud of it. this team shoots themselves in the foot WAY too often to think about last night with much more than bitterness.

after a while, a team of mediocre players, with a few good players sprinkled in, tends to catch up with you. this team needs some star power level help on the back end. desperately. too often do players completely miss assignments and marks for this team to be successful this season. if they do make the playoffs, sadly i think it will be one a done.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Sorry, forgot about that one. So he has 2 "real" goals this season. I'm sure that Nowak was expecting much more from him this year than scoring his first "real" goal in the end of August.

Yeah, the way I worded my original comment made it sound like I was referring to the PK. What I had in mind was a goal from the run of play in consecutive games.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
If anyone is interested in tickets to next Thursday's game (9/29) against DC United, shoot me a PM. I have 3 available in Section 114 for $25 a piece and will include a parking pass in Lot A.

SeanL44

Welcome to Hellbow
Apr 5, 2008
Philadelphia
Union officially acquire Costa-Rican 21 year old international Josue Martinez. He'll be the teams first "young designated player" contract.

I've only seen him play a little bit in CONCACAF Champions League, kid has some incredible skill. He was Saprissa's best striker last year.

(go to 1:20 to see him beat the defender)

Ton more videos in the article. With this transfer I'd be most comfortable with Mwanga and Martinez up front with LeToux in sort of a CAM position on top of them. Hopefully this will give our offense a big boost.

SeanL44

Welcome to Hellbow
Apr 5, 2008
Philadelphia
Also to add more to the discussion, get this thread going again, MLS sent a Generation Adidas team to tour Europe. Most teams have 1 player with the group, Union have 3 (MacMath, McInerney, Okugo).

MacMath is currently training with Tim Howard and USMNT goalkeeping coach Chris Woods. Pfeffer and Okugo are training in Germany with Hoffenheim and Freiburg respectively. Okugo just got done captaining a strong US U-23 side that trained and played some matches against reserve teams in Germany. He and Sheanon Williams seem to be locks for the next US Olympic team.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
What's this I hear about the Union going after a player from Chelsea?

SeanL44

Welcome to Hellbow
Apr 5, 2008
Philadelphia
What's this I hear about the Union going after a player from Chelsea?

Apparently they've looked into Anelka but to be honest I really don't want him, regardless of his skill. He has one of the worst attitudes in soccer.

Regardless, he's had $10 million offers from China and Russia so chances are slim.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
2 quick notes on previous posts:

the U actually have 4 GA players in europe. Mwanga is there too and all 4 started yesterday

I read somewhere yesterday at Martinez is in fact NOT a "young DP"

oh... and his old team will be playing the union this summer, presumably in philly

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
that scares me a bit bc they could be lost for a big chunk of games next season

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
that scares me a bit bc they could be lost for a big chunk of games next season

Williams is the only starter, though Adu could be a huge part of the squad next season. The rest are backups.

And it's only, what, a month? Five-six games out of 34?

If losing one or two players for a month keeps you out of the playoffs, then your team wasn't going to win the cup anyway. I'm not worried about it and I'm happy for the players.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
with how close the playoff race was last season, losing starters for any length of time can be troubling.

not sure how long they maybe lost for... but the US has to play thru qualifications first

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Apparently they've looked into Anelka but to be honest I really don't want him, regardless of his skill. He has one of the worst attitudes in soccer.

Regardless, he's had $10 million offers from China and Russia so chances are slim.

gah

Anelka is wretched. Sounded like Montreal was the MLS team after him.

CavemanLawyer

Feb 22, 2006
Ocean City, MD
This might be Amobi's last year Dooping.

Several German teams are "interested""

Not to sound like an ass, but where do you guys even get this? </said in polite terms> I just googled Amobi Okugo, then Amobi Okugo rumors, then Amobi Okugo transfer, and got nothing on it. Obviously this isn't the first time as I have had trouble finding MLS transfer news/rumors in the past so... Whats the best news source for the MLS?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
To caveman, i follow the USMNT very closely and go on a bunch of forums for them and stuff.

This year instead Of taking the winter off, MLS guys have been encouraged to the winter training with Euro clubs instead of taking the winter off of course.

Amobi has been training with SC Freiburg and someone tweeted that the club could be interested in a few years or something like that. Now is this a trial? No its more of a way to stay in shape for the older guys but a great opportunit for the younger guys to get there "stocks up".

Here's a list of the other MLS'ers on trial/trainingper Socceroverthere.cOm

Juan Agudelo – VfB Stuttgart & Liverpool
Kyle Beckerman – Kaiserslautern
Bill Hamid – West Bromwich Albion
Sean Johnson – Everton
Perry Kitchen – SC Freiburg
Jeff Larentowicz – Bolton Wanderers
Zac MacMath – Everton
Amobi Okugo – SC Freiburg
Zach Pfeffer – TSG Hoffenheim
Tim Ream – West Bromwich Albion & Bolton Wanderers
Robbie Rogers – Kaiserslautern
Omar Salgado – Fulham
Brek Shea – Arsenal

These trainings are most important for guys such as Salgado, Rogers and Ream, 3 guys who are definitely on the move soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad