OT: Philadelphia Union Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Danny Mwanga is training with Aston Villa for 10 days currently, it would make no sense for the Union to dump Le Toux at the moment.

Mwanga could be gone next winter as well.

Also Freddy Adu to Rayo Vellcano could be a possible move too.

I have no problem saying adieu to Adu.

As for LeToux, he is the face of the franchise and it's one thing if the Union sold his rights to a team in Europe as that would be seen by Union fans as a positive for his career, but it would be another to trade him to another MLS team.

Orange, I agree with you 100% about MacMath. His first start was a bit shaky, but the offense bailed him out. After that he looked really solid. I actually wanted to see him instead of Mondragon at the end of the season and playoffs.

Edit: LeToux was traded to the Vancouver Whitecaps. :cry: :shakehead :madfire: WTF

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...tien+Toux+traded+Whitecaps/6075425/story.html

Last edited:

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
sucks that he is gone but its a calculated risk from the team. they think they have enough firepower in mwanga, pajoy, et al that they can drop le toux. if they didnt plan on resigning him (and from the looks of it they didnt), then this is exactly the move to make.

the idiots on facebook are hilarious. the only thing they prove is how little they understand about the game.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The sad thing about Le Toux is he was the one guy on the Union who had a buzz around town above the team.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Dont worry, we will trade Le Toux and then (as rumor has it) sign Lionard Pajoy a Columbian Striker who failed a drug test in 2007 and was suspended for 6 months for having cocaine in his system.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
It's disapppointing that my feelings toward a franchise would turn so quickly, but they have. They just Babe Ruth'd the face of their franchise, and for reasons unknown to even him...and he was willing to stay here for anything.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
sucks that he is gone but its a calculated risk from the team. they think they have enough firepower in mwanga, pajoy, et al that they can drop le toux. if they didnt plan on resigning him (and from the looks of it they didnt), then this is exactly the move to make.

the idiots on facebook are hilarious. the only thing they prove is how little they understand about the game.

Their trusting alot in a player who had a pretty bad season last year. He better step his game up or he could be gone also. Funny that this team had trouble scoring goals, and we go and trade our top goal scorer. Our new strikers better be able to cut it honestly.

I worked for the Union this past summer and will probablly this up and coming one, but that is disgraceful what they did to him. Ive talked to Le Toux a few times and watched the team practice a handful of times, he was the nicest guy there, and honestly should have been the team's captain. First one on the field, last one off. He even used to stay with Pfiefer to pick up the balls at the end of practice.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
Are the Union really hurting for cash that much? I'm puzzled by this move otherwise. Yes, they completed the acquisition of Roger Torres, but they handled this incredibly poorly. For a new team still establishing itself, this seems like a really bad approach. But perhaps I'm missing something here.

I do agree that it seems bizarre to trade your leading goal scorer when you struggled to score the previous season.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Are the Union really hurting for cash that much? I'm puzzled by this move otherwise. Yes, they completed the acquisition of Roger Torres, but they handled this incredibly poorly. For a new team still establishing itself, this seems like a really bad approach. But perhaps I'm missing something here.

I do agree that it seems bizarre to trade your leading goal scorer when you struggled to score the previous season.

I don't see how they can be hurting that badly for cash. They are sold out game after game and there is ton's of merchandise walking around PPL Park.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Didnt see anyone talk about him but Gabriel Gomez was also signed by the Union. He comes from Panama. Looks like he will be a solid defensive midfielder.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
I don't see how they can be hurting that badly for cash. They are sold out game after game and there is ton's of merchandise walking around PPL Park.

I was asking because LeToux himself seemed to indicate they might be. His interview (I think it was linked above) where he mentions how the practice facilities aren't good and upgrades had been promised but not delivered is one example. He also flat out said it was about the money, too.

I don't follow the Union closely, but I was under the impression you give: solid attendance, good buzz in the community, and a very solid sponsorship deal. I'm a bit puzzled as to why they'd need the cash, too. Especially when LeToux was willing to negotiate on the deal and wanted badly to stay in Philly. :help:

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I was asking because LeToux himself seemed to indicate they might be. His interview (I think it was linked above) where he mentions how the practice facilities aren't good and upgrades had been promised but not delivered is one example. He also flat out said it was about the money, too.

I don't follow the Union closely, but I was under the impression you give: solid attendance, good buzz in the community, and a very solid sponsorship deal. I'm a bit puzzled as to why they'd need the cash, too. Especially when LeToux was willing to negotiate on the deal and wanted badly to stay in Philly. :help:

They actually just announced another sponsorship deal with Goldenbergs.

Mind you there may be more to the story as this is only LeToux's side, but it certainly isn't making the Union look very good.

There was an impromptu farewell at Kildares last night. You can see he's not happy about leaving

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
giving up season tickets over this? are you kidding me?

look his contract was up after this season. either move him now for some return or lose him at the end fo the year for nothing. the team valued him at one number, he valued himself at another. the team didnt see him fitting in its long term plan so they moved him while they could. it sucks buts its the business.

as far as the $$ is concerned, le toux starts to lose crdibility in my eyes. " ‘Just give me a contract and I will sign it,’” said Le Toux, who spoke exclusively with the Daily Times. “I wanted to stay in Philly. I didn’t care about the money". yet he freely states he was asking for $400K.

its an emotional move. the guy was a cult hero to the fan base. I've met him several times and think he is the nicest athlete I've ever met. it sucks, but thats the business. hopefully when cooler heads prevail people can see all sides of it

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
giving up season tickets over this? are you kidding me?

look his contract was up after this season. either move him now for some return or lose him at the end fo the year for nothing. the team valued him at one number, he valued himself at another. the team didnt see him fitting in its long term plan so they moved him while they could. it sucks buts its the business.

as far as the $$ is concerned, le toux starts to lose crdibility in my eyes. " ‘Just give me a contract and I will sign it,’” said Le Toux, who spoke exclusively with the Daily Times. “I wanted to stay in Philly. I didn’t care about the money". yet he freely states he was asking for $400K.

its an emotional move. the guy was a cult hero to the fan base. I've met him several times and think he is the nicest athlete I've ever met. it sucks, but thats the business. hopefully when cooler heads prevail people can see all sides of it

How does losing your top goal scorer, and fan favorite a good business strategy? It's like owning a company and getting rid of your hardest worker, and top employee to save some money.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
like I said, they must have made the decision to not resign him after the season or at least not at the # Le toux wanted. they got what they could for him and are moving on. they used the $$ to buy torres.

people wondered the same thing about the flyers this summer didnt they?

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
like I said, they must have made the decision to not resign him after the season or at least not at the # Le toux wanted. they got what they could for him and are moving on. they used the $$ to buy torres.

people wondered the same thing about the flyers this summer didnt they?

I think I would take the money to sign LeToux rather than buying Torres on many levels.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
I think I would take the money to sign LeToux rather than buying Torres on many levels.

I dont know man. I think you are comparing apples and oranges here.

the allocation $$ from seba went to buy torres contract. this is completely different from their salaries. this season seba and torres would be close in salary, with seba a little higher. but next season seba is on record saying he wanted 400K. if torres is making about 150K, thats a 250K difference. why is that important? well you have several players would need to be paid one way or another. Mwanga graduated from GA so now his entire contract is on the cap. Okugo and McInerney either have or will graduate from GA after this season. MacMath will surely graduate GA after this season. all of these guys now need to be paid out of the cap. In addition, Williams is still being paid like a USL castoff that he was. he makes 42k. he very well could be the starting right back for the USMOT. he'll be getting at least 2X his salary next season.

in a perfect world there would be no cap and seba could get whatever he wants and he could stay. that isnt the reality. could the union have paid him 400K? sure. would they have had money to keep torres, macmath, williams, okugo, jack mc at the same time? nope.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I believe this also serves as the generic soccer/futbol/football thread, sooo...

Congrats USA!!! :handclap: solid 1-0 win over Italy w/o Donovan. Not a great game for the Yanks, but they got the result. First win vs. Italy in 82 years, Italy's first loss in Geneva ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad