OT: Philadelphia Union Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Could turn out to be a solid pick. Some are speculating this means the end for Danny Mwanga.

Hope to see more of his ballskill and one on ones. From what I saw from the video (and only this video) he knows where to go during crosses and will fight infront of the net.

That being said, his midfielders (primarily right and the long haired center) looked like good players and gave him some great balls to finish. Dont know how his speed is.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The thing about Mwanga is he's just ungodly slow. He has an inability to create his own space because of this fact. It's sad to say, because I really like Danny, but I think it may be a good idea to move him to sure up an area of weakness.

Since we selected a forward with our pick, I wouldn't mind seeing them move Mwanga for a good defender or CB with potential to replace califf at some point.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The thing about Mwanga is he's just ungodly slow. He has an inability to create his own space because of this fact. It's sad to say, because I really like Danny, but I think it may be a good idea to move him to sure up an area of weakness.

Since we selected a forward with our pick, I wouldn't mind seeing them move Mwanga for a good defender or CB with potential to replace califf at some point.

One of the big things I wanted them to draft was was CB. There were some decent D taken but all the good ones taken ahead of them sadly. I guess at that point Hoffman was the best guy available.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/...-transfer-rumor-england-premier-league-011812

Philadelphia star striker Sebastien LeToux arrived in England on Wednesday ahead of a potential transfer to Bolton, United Kingdom-based sources told FOX Soccer Wednesday morning. The Union are prepared to sell the 28-year-old French striker in a move that would allow Philadelphia to keep young attacker Danny Mwanga, around whom trade rumors have recently circulated. The move would also free the funds needed to replace the all-star LeToux.

Stonehands77

Jul 8, 2002
Waltham, MA
That would be a huge loss for the Union. He's only the most popular player on the roster by far. :(

And with the issues they seemed to have scoring last year, losing your best striker seems problematic. I guess if the fee is around the same as for Tim Ream ($2.5 million or so), that's hard to pass up. Still, tough loss...especially for someone who's just started following them a bit.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
At least we get to keep Mwanga now, and hopefully the money is high enough that we can pick up someone good.

Hopefully he can get past last season's slump. I think most expected too much from him and he tried to do too much. Didnt like how he played a majority of the games. Forced wayy to many balls and seemed to try to take on the whole defense at points. Losing LeToux takes a big toll out of out offense. We couldnt score goals before, and now we take away one of our best players. I know we got a bunch of young guys, but we could definitely use another guy who can score goals for us.

I have some high hopes for Josue Martinez though. I think he could become a tremendous player. One of the players I am looking forward to watching play.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Unless we draw every game 0-0, I don't see much accumulation of points this season...

The future now rides on a, if Mwanga can become the player he's supposed to be b, if Martinez turns out to be the real deal and c, if Hoffman can come in right away and contribute. He is projected as being ready to play in the mls this season.

Not a good move here.

Also, I don't understand the rationale here. Le toux is 28 and will most likely be a bench player on a bad/fringe premier league team.

I think I would rather be a star in the MLS and potentially help my team win a championship than play space minutes off the bench on a team in the EPL that only competes to not be relegated every year. However, it still remains to be seen if le toux asked to be transferred or not, but the signs are pointing towards the notion that he requested to be transferred.

Things are looking down for the U.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
There are a lot of unhappy Union fans posting on the Union's Facebook page and not a single comment from the team about it. Not a good PR move on their part.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
So 2 of the Union's best players are gone.

Bummer.

What exactly do they put the money they got for Le Toux into?

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Honestly, Mondragon didn't impress me too much. It's time for the first rounder to step in. I'm still upset about Le Toux, though.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
So 2 of the Union's best players are gone.

Bummer.

What exactly do they put the money they got for Le Toux into?

Macmath did great after Mondragon was hurt and he was the union's first round pick last season. I think he will be just fine. To be honest i thought Mondragon was mediocre at best midway through the season.

As far as I know, the LeToux transfer is not confirmed as he is over there on a trial. I believe they have until tomorrow to make a final decision.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Macmath did great after Mondragon was hurt and he was the union's first round pick last season. I think he will be just fine. To be honest i thought Mondragon was mediocre at best midway through the season.

As far as I know, the LeToux transfer is not confirmed as he is over there on a trial. I believe they have until tomorrow to make a final decision.

this is correct.

macmath largely outperformed mondragon in the 2nd half of the season, and i think he will be fine. he could even be poised to breakout as an elite goalkeeper this season.

as for Le Toux, he did not impress in his tryout with bolton, and is back with the Union. All signs point to him still being here next season, unless another team goes after him, which i highly doubt. If a fringe EPL team that only competes to avoid relegation, like bolton didn't want him i cant see anyone else making a push.

Le Toux will likely be here next season.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
le toux is still with the Union, but rumors swirling that he is being shopped for a trade within MLS. crazy stuff. guess he doesnt fit in the long term plans and with his contract being up at the end of the year, they might be trying to salvage something for him

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Danny Mwanga is training with Aston Villa for 10 days currently, it would make no sense for the Union to dump Le Toux at the moment.

Mwanga could be gone next winter as well.

Also Freddy Adu to Rayo Vellcano could be a possible move too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I get that Le Toux is a dynamic player in MLS, but it doesn't seem like that translates to wide success outside the States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca