OT: Philadelphia Union Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
1 goal in 09 for seattle, career year last year, 0 goals from the run of play this year

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
1 goal in 09 for seattle, career year last year, 0 goals from the run of play this year

I would like to say that last season was a breakthrough season and certainly could expect some falloff, but not complete regression back to the previous year. I can't think of many players in any sport that went from a marginal professional to MVP candidate back to marginal professional.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
how many of the 14 last season were PKs? at least 3-4 i think. no one outside of philly thought he was an MVP candidate.

look i like the guy. he's incredibly nice. he just isnt a star

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
how many of the 14 last season were PKs? at least 3-4 i think. no one outside of philly thought he was an MVP candidate.

look i like the guy. he's incredibly nice. he just isnt a star

He did make the MLS top XI, did he not?

I'm not going to say he's a star or not, but clearly Union management expected more out of him this season.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
I know but Vorm was on fire in net for Swansea. He made a few amazing saves.

Like Ian Darke said during the telecast, Arsenal fans (such as myself) are wondering how Swansea nabbed such a solid keeper while Arsenal signed no one.

Arsenal better come up big during this transfer window. Man City look dangerous if Tevez stays and Arsenal lost my favorite player to watch in Fabregas.

Last edited:

Start Leighton*

Like Ian Darke said during the telecast, Arsenal fans (such as myself) are wondering how Sawnsea nabbed such a solid keeper while Arsenal signed no one.

Arsenal better come up big during this transfer window. Man City look dangerous if Tevez stays and Arsenal lost my favorite player to watch in Fabregas.

Sorry to hear you are an Arsenal fan at the moment. Nasri is probably going to leave too and losing Cesc really put the team back will be interesting to see who they go after.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
Sorry to hear you are an Arsenal fan at the moment. Nasri is probably going to leave too and losing Cesc really put the team back will be interesting to see who they go after.

Yeah, losing Fabregas really sucks and Nasri wants out as well. Oh well, if he doesnt want to be at Arsenal, let him move. A lot of guys will eagerly take his spot in the lineup. I'm hoping Wilshire is a full-time starter now. I also like Aaron Ramsey.

Rumors are that Eboue and Arshavin could follow Nasri (maybe Man City) and Fabregas (Barca). That's a lot of talent lost and all they added was Gervinho.

:rant:

EDIT: Eboue just transferred out, it's on ESPN. Never a huge fan of his, but man is this getting sad. Arsenal need defense help bad.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004
EJ coming back to mls. another forward I take. chivas has first allocation. they dont need both ej and angel......

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
EJ coming back to mls. another forward I take. chivas has first allocation. they dont need both ej and angel......

We're last and who would you trade for EJ? I wouldnt give up any of the young guys for EJ. We arent in win now mode. This team is still building.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
Yeah, losing Fabregas really sucks and Nasri wants out as well. Oh well, if he doesnt want to be at Arsenal, let him move. A lot of guys will eagerly take his spot in the lineup. I'm hoping Wilshire is a full-time starter now. I also like Aaron Ramsey.

Rumors are that Eboue and Arshavin could follow Nasri (maybe Man City) and Fabregas (Barca). That's a lot of talent lost and all they added was Gervinho.

:rant:

EDIT: Eboue just transferred out, it's on ESPN. Never a huge fan of his, but man is this getting sad. Arsenal need defense help bad.
I would love it if Man City added Arshavin and Nasri. They were talking during the game about how Nasri was close to transferring to Man City and if one of my favorite players like Arshavin follows him, we will be up there with Man U.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
I would love it if Man City added Arshavin and Nasri. They were talking during the game about how Nasri was close to transferring to Man City and if one of my favorite players like Arshavin follows him, we will be up there with Man U.

I phrased it incorrectly.

Arshavin is being courted by a Russian team, Nasri by Man City, and Eboue by some other team (and they got him, Eboue is gone).

Nasri to Man City is possible, but not Arshavin.

I'd love a Tevez for Nasri swap though, lol. NEVER GUNNER HAPPEN tho.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
I phrased it incorrectly.

Arshavin is being courted by a Russian team, Nasri by Man City, and Eboue by some other team (and they got him, Eboue is gone).

Nasri to Man City is possible, but not Arshavin.

I'd love a Tevez for Nasri swap though, lol. NEVER GUNNER HAPPEN tho.
Oh I gotcha now. In that case, I hope Arshavin stays in the EPL. I mean, I like Nasri, but I'm not sure what happens to Tevez if he joins Man City. Adebayor just went on loan to Tottenham so we got a roster spot available, but that probably includes limitting playing time for a few players once they figure out the new lineup and Aguero can play the full 90.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
We're last and who would you trade for EJ? I wouldnt give up any of the young guys for EJ. We arent in win now mode. This team is still building.

Who said anything about trading young guys? CUSA is one of the worst-run clubs in the league. Offer them Miglioranzi and a burrito and see what happens.

Also, MLS and the Union are still working out Adu's contract. I heard that if he's a DP, he might not count against the allocation order.

slitz

Feb 28, 2004

like Irish said...no one said anything about trading youth. offer a draft pick, any allocation $$ thats left, JDG, migs, whatever. see what happens

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
JDG and Migs arent getting anything.

Allocation money looks like something this team will be needing more than EJ. I am expecting a big young striker this offseason.

Draft picks...once again not giving up youth for EJ. Would take a 1st+probably. Not gonna do it.

CavemanLawyer

Feb 22, 2006
Ocean City, MD
Hey gang, me and a bunch of guys decided to finally trek up and hit up a Union game. We have all been big fans for awhile and finally decided to do a game. Chose the last home game of the season.

After searching high and low we decided on getting some tickets in the supporters section from some strange ticket reseller website even though we know the supporters section hate and loathe 'Stubhubbers' and stuff. So are we just gonna be harrassed all game or something? haha. How should we prepare for this? haha.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Hey gang, me and a bunch of guys decided to finally trek up and hit up a Union game. We have all been big fans for awhile and finally decided to do a game. Chose the last home game of the season.

After searching high and low we decided on getting some tickets in the supporters section from some strange ticket reseller website even though we know the supporters section hate and loathe 'Stubhubbers' and stuff. So are we just gonna be harrassed all game or something? haha. How should we prepare for this? haha.

Well...Honestly...If SoB is manipulating people who aren't season ticket holders, then thats just ridiculous. Would they rather have an half empty section? Or a full one with random Union lovers.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Well...Honestly...If SoB is manipulating people who aren't season ticket holders, then thats just ridiculous. Would they rather have an half empty section? Or a full one with random Union lovers.

The issue isn't that the Sons of Ben are super uptight about "members only." The issue is that there have been people who buy season tickets in the supporters section at a hefty discount, and then turn around and sell them all for profit. The Sons of Ben naturally are against people taking advantage of their section like this, and it also becomes a problem when people buy tickets on third-party sites not knowing what they're getting into.

Also, you have to be a member of the SOB to buy tickets from the team in The River End, season tickets or not. I'm not sure why the section would suddenly be half empty if third-party sites were eliminated.

If you show up to support the Union, aren't wearing the colors of another team, aren't yelling racist comments, aren't throwing bottles or anything, nobody will care. Just be prepared to stand the whole game and possibly have your view blocked by flags and/or scarves. As long as you know what the situation is, there's no problem. And when I say "colors of another team," I don't just mean MLS. If you show up in a Man U shirt or Brazil or something, you'll probably catch **** for that.

Issues arise when people come in unaware and get pissed because everyone's standing, they can't see, they don't like everyone chanting the whole game, etc. If you don't like any of that, there are 16,000 other seats to sit in.

Last edited:

CavemanLawyer

Feb 22, 2006
Ocean City, MD
If you show up to support the Union, aren't wearing the colors of another team, aren't yelling racist comments, aren't throwing bottles or anything, nobody will care. Just be prepared to stand the whole game and possibly have your view blocked by flags and/or scarves. As long as you know what the situation is, there's no problem. And when I say "colors of another team," I don't just mean MLS. If you show up in a Man U shirt or Brazil or something, you'll probably catch **** for that.

Issues arise when people come in unaware and get pissed because everyone's standing, they can't see, they don't like everyone chanting the whole game, etc. If you don't like any of that, there are 16,000 other seats to sit in.

Hey thanks for the quick reply man. That sounds EXACTLY with what we all wanted. We didn't want to travel 100+ miles to just sit and eat a hot dog at the pitch. We wanted the atmosphere, the chants, the flags, and yes, the standing. It's just I researched it a bit before I bit on the gentleman's tickets and saw there was a big forum post after the "brawl" in the stands with the forum just blasting 'Stubhubbers', wanting to ban them and wanting stricter policies on them and such.

Good to hear it's just as i wanted - act an ass, treated like an ass. Here's to a fun time!

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
Hey thanks for the quick reply man. That sounds EXACTLY with what we all wanted. We didn't want to travel 100+ miles to just sit and eat a hot dog at the pitch. We wanted the atmosphere, the chants, the flags, and yes, the standing. It's just I researched it a bit before I bit on the gentleman's tickets and saw there was a big forum post after the "brawl" in the stands with the forum just blasting 'Stubhubbers', wanting to ban them and wanting stricter policies on them and such.

Good to hear it's just as i wanted - act an ass, treated like an ass. Here's to a fun time!

Yeah, the venom towards "Stubhubbers" is actually mostly directed towards the people selling, not the people buying.

Obviously most season ticket holders aren't going to make it to every game, so it's expected that tickets will be passed on or sold. SOB just prefer that those transactions are done with people who are somehow acquainted with the person selling. Reasoning there is that that way you won't get random troublemakers or, as I witnessed at a game last year, a Japanese family of four who were clearly not expecting to be in the middle of a supporters group.

The last (regular season) home game of the season was a good choice. DC will probably bring 300-500 fans, and the atmosphere is always better when you have someone to yell at.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, I don't think anyone has a problem with buying/selling tickets in the Supporter's Section as a policy. It's more about maintaining the integrity (or lack thereof! ;-) ) of the section and avoiding any people getting into situations they're not prepared for.

And, as someone else said, the Supporter's Section tix go for a ridiculous discount, so profiting on said discount is rather frowned upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad