OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Senior Citizens Bank Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
They've lost my faith in drafting recently. I hope Crawford changes that but it seems like they've gone with guys with high athleticism and not necessarily "baseball" players, if that makes any sense.

It makes sense, they've definitely been guilty of that at times. But I think they've done it less in recent drafts. Everybody and their mom gave the Phils good marks for the draft last year. The last really high pick they made that was all tools/no skills was Larry Green in 2011; definitely a bad pick.

Before that it was the 08 draft where they went Hewitt and Collier with their first two picks, but later they drafted Anthony Gose, Jason Knapp, Vance Worley, Jon Pettibone, Trevor May, Mike Stutes, Michael Schwimer, BJ Rosenberg and Tyler Cloyd, who all turned out to be useful in some way. All those guys have played in the majors except Knapp (who was traded for Cliff Lee) and Trevor May, who I think will pitch in the majors eventually. That's a pretty remarkable number of successes from a single draft.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
It makes sense, they've definitely been guilty of that at times. But I think they've done it less in recent drafts. Everybody and their mom gave the Phils good marks for the draft last year. The last really high pick they made that was all tools/no skills was Larry Green in 2011; definitely a bad pick.

Before that it was the 08 draft where they went Hewitt and Collier with their first two picks, but later they drafted Anthony Gose, Jason Knapp, Vance Worley, Jon Pettibone, Trevor May, Mike Stutes, Michael Schwimer, BJ Rosenberg and Tyler Cloyd, who all turned out to be useful in some way. All those guys have played in the majors except Knapp (who was traded for Cliff Lee) and Trevor May, who I think will pitch in the majors eventually. That's a pretty remarkable number of successes from a single draft.

What happened to Schwimer and Cloyd? And is Stutes all but done?

I get what you say when you say that draft produced successes, as in they played, but to me Worley and Pettibone are fringe MLB players at best and BJ Rosenberg is a total bum. He sucks.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
They've lost my faith in drafting recently. I hope Crawford changes that but it seems like they've gone with guys with high athleticism and not necessarily "baseball" players, if that makes any sense.

Last year's draft was pretty good. They seemed to go more for baseball skills and less for athleticism so there is that. They are light on pitching prospects. The Phillies have historically gone pitching and position player heavy every other year. By the trend, they are due to go pitching heavy this year. Not sure if there is going to be a worthy pitcher available at #7. I really like Tom Gordon's son. He's a SS, but you can never have too many. Much more polished player than Dee.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

I get what you say when you say that draft produced successes, as in they played, but to me Worley and Pettibone are fringe MLB players at best and BJ Rosenberg is a total bum. He sucks.

Yeah, no stars. Worley and Pettibone are both guys that I think/thought could be useful pitchers but now they both have injury concerns. That's how it goes though. Most teams probably get 2-3 major leaguers out of a draft on average, and of course most of them won't be impact players.

Schwimer was traded to the Blue Jays for a low level prospect. He's been hurt all year and most of last year, but I'm not sure what the injury is (hey, maybe he was right about being hurt after all). Cloyd is pitching for the Indians AAA team; I think the Phils lost him on waivers.

Stutes is basically done. Not on a roster.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
The Phillies need to bite the bullet and take Jeff Hoffman imo. Yes, he needs TJS, but before that was in the conversation for number 1 overall. This team is so lacking in quality assets that I'd prefer they just swing for the fence. Most mocks I've seen lately don't have Hoffman sliding much past 11 or 12, so it's not even like it's a reach.

If they go offense, I also like Nick Gordon, but rumors have him moving up... potentially to number 1 so that Astros can pay overslot later.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The Phils crushed their #1 pick last year w/ Crawford, kick will be playing in Philly by 2016 easily.

I have similar hope they can kill it this year too.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

Cloyd signed a minor league deal with the Indians last I heard but that was a while back.

Schwimer was released by the Blue Jays, don't know what he's up to now, probably nothing.

I don't think Stutes has played since his release, he's still a free agent.

All these guys are 27/28 years old and aren't really MLB material, they may just call it quits now or in the near future.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The Phillies need to bite the bullet and take Jeff Hoffman imo. Yes, he needs TJS, but before that was in the conversation for number 1 overall. This team is so lacking in quality assets that I'd prefer they just swing for the fence. Most mocks I've seen lately don't have Hoffman sliding much past 11 or 12, so it's not even like it's a reach.

If they go offense, I also like Nick Gordon, but rumors have him moving up... potentially to number 1 so that Astros can pay overslot later.

Yeah, these rumors of them going the "safe" route and taking Nola have me a little worried. The Phillies have taken risks on guys in the past with Hamels and Savery, so I figure they're at least considering Hoffman. Now's not the time to take a relatively low ceiling guy because he can make it to the majors faster.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah, these rumors of them going the "safe" route and taking Nola have me a little worried. The Phillies have taken risks on guys in the past with Hamels and Savery, so I figure they're at least considering Hoffman. Now's not the time to take a relatively low ceiling guy because he can make it to the majors faster.

That's the scary part, that the Phils front office is pushing to get a player they can rush through.

That would be one of the worst decisions ever.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah I'd rather take a shot on Hoffman than take one of the other college pitchers Nola, Newcomb, and Freeland (who the Phillies drafted 3 years ago out of HS and couldn't sign). And then you have Gordon and Jackson, the two best position players who might be there at 7 and be too hard to pass on. The last time the Phillies took a shot on an injured pitcher however, it was Joe Savery, and it didn't work out too well.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Cloyd signed a minor league deal with the Indians last I heard but that was a while back.

Schwimer was released by the Blue Jays, don't know what he's up to now, probably nothing.

I don't think Stutes has played since his release, he's still a free agent.

All these guys are 27/28 years old and aren't really MLB material, they may just call it quits now or in the near future.

Whatever happened to Vance Worley? I loved that guy

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Whatever happened to Vance Worley? I loved that guy

Traded to Twins with Trevor May for Revere. Worley was then moved to the Pirates for cash considerations and I think is in the minors. Since leaving from Philadelphia he hasn't been able to perform at the MLB level, IMO he doesn't have much of a future. Trevor May on the other hand looks promising.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I must be a masochist. I've watched every inning of this series vs. the Mets.

I listened to a good portion on the radio. Listening to Larry Andersen ***** about the Phillies made it enjoyable for me. I could hear him slamming **** when they had 1st and 2nd no outs and couldn't get a run home (multiple times).

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Jonathan Singleton is called up to Houston along w/ a 5/10MM deal.

He is the 3rd player of 4 to make the Astros from the now defected Hunter Pence.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Jonathan Singleton is called up to Houston along w/ a 5/10MM deal.

He is the 3rd player of 4 to make the Astros from the now defected Hunter Pence.

I assume the 4th is Domingo Santana who was 18 when we traded him, and he's now batting clean-up in AAA OKC with a batting average above .300, power, and ... oh he's a RH hitting RF. We could use 21-year old one of those...

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I assume the 4th is Domingo Santana who was 18 when we traded him, and he's now batting clean-up in AAA OKC with a batting average above .300, power, and ... oh he's a RH hitting RF. We could use 21-year old one of those...

Frankly, we could use a 21 year old anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad