Status
Not open for further replies.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
:laugh:

BoxflKFCcAEb8MD.jpg:large

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
But I think that's realistic given what he's been doing. It's not his money but I think at this point it would be good to see.

While it may be good for him, considering his past couple of years and given the state of the lack of power in other areas (3rd & LF), they need him to be better.

A 30/110 1st baseman is not the worst in the world, but when 3rd & LF are complete black holes of power, it doesn't help. And Utley has a billion doubles, but only 2 HRs, so now there is another spot you hope to get some HR pop. And obviously CF is like having a 15 year old out there.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
While it may be good for him, considering his past couple of years and given the state of the lack of power in other areas (3rd & LF), they need him to be better.

A 30/110 1st baseman is not the worst in the world, but when 3rd & LF are complete black holes of power, it doesn't help. And Utley has a billion doubles, but only 2 HRs, so now there is another spot you hope to get some HR pop. And obviously CF is like having a 15 year old out there.

Yeah I dont disagree that he needs to be better to make up for the lack of power throughout the lineup. I just know that his likely ceiling will be ~30-35 homers, and I think we should probably be happy when he gets there lol

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If he doesn't crash, I think he'll get 35 this year. He usually has a good summer month.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Utley has 4 homers but your point still stands.

I'll gladly take the doubles though. He's on a crazy pace, record setting pace, that obviously won't continue but it's kinda hard to complain over all when he's having an All-Star year.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
.319 OBP isn't acceptable from a cleanup hitter/first baseman. If they would just let Howard hit righties that would get better.

At least he's doing his usual Jekyll and Hyde act with runners on/bases empty:

Nobody on base: .188/.244/.313; 52 wRC+
Men on: .282/.371/.534; 141 wRC+
RISP: .258/.360/.532; 129 wRC+

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Utley has 4 homers but your point still stands.

I'll gladly take the doubles though. He's on a crazy pace, record setting pace, that obviously won't continue but it's kinda hard to complain over all when he's having an All-Star year.

It sucks but he's probably the best trade piece after Lee. I wanted him to be a Phillies lifer, but if he can get us some good prospects to retool then it is for the best.

However, that said, I don't trust Amaro to even come close to capitalizing on his market value. He'll probably trade Utley for 2 middle relievers, a utility infielder and a pitching coach

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
It sucks but he's probably the best trade piece after Lee. I wanted him to be a Phillies lifer, but if he can get us some good prospects to retool then it is for the best.

However, that said, I don't trust Amaro to even come close to capitalizing on his market value. He'll probably trade Utley for 2 middle relievers, a utility infielder and a pitching coach

What they should do is fire RAJ immediately and either appoint Wade or Gillick interim GM. Wade did a good job with their firesale in Houston. I think in another year Hamels could have some good trade value as it is about $20 million less and he would only be 31. Utley should be traded, as should Burnett and Byrd.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I never want to see Utley in anything but a Phillies uniform. I don't care what type of return he brings, my man crush on him is that big. :laugh:

I want the Phillies to get back to competing for championships. If Utley brings a return that makes that more likely/come sooner, then I'd sadly let him go. The Phillies are so incredibly far from being a winner right now that it's going to take drastic measures to allow it to happen over some timeframe less than 5-10 years.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The sad part is the Phillies haven't bottomed out yet. You bottom out when you fire sale the team, Amaro won't do that.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I want the Phillies to get back to competing for championships. If Utley brings a return that makes that more likely/come sooner, then I'd sadly let him go. The Phillies are so incredibly far from being a winner right now that it's going to take drastic measures to allow it to happen over some timeframe less than 5-10 years.

Sophie's choice.

OK, maybe not.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The sad part is the Phillies haven't bottomed out yet. You bottom out when you fire sale the team, Amaro won't do that.

I think that's the ownership's approach as much as it is Amaro's. I'm okay with it. This isn't the NBA; you can get better through the draft and trades without being terrible but you have to scout and develop well, and you have to make smart trades.

That might not sound like something the Phillies are capable of, but they would need to do the same if they were to gut the team and start over. And remember, the Phillies have produced a number of good prospects even in years when they weren't picking super high in the draft. It's just that they traded them all away for Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Pence.

Besides, they have the 7th pick in the upcoming draft, which is a pretty high pick and they didn't have to gut the team to do that. And they've shown recently that they're willing to be sellers at times, like when they traded Pence to the Giants. Depending on where the team is in the race, they'll look to move Byrd and Burnett, and maybe some other guys depending on the return.

The only worry I have as far as trading guys away is the awful and ridiculous 2nd wildcard keeping the Phillies in the race artificially, and leading to them trying to buy when they should sell.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I think that's the ownership's approach as much as it is Amaro's. I'm okay with it. This isn't the NBA; you can get better through the draft and trades without being terrible but you have to scout and develop well, and you have to make smart trades.

That might not sound like something the Phillies are capable of, but they would need to do the same if they were to gut the team and start over. And remember, the Phillies have produced a number of good prospects even in years when they weren't picking super high in the draft. It's just that they traded them all away for Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Pence.

Besides, they have the 7th pick in the upcoming draft, which is a pretty high pick and they didn't have to gut the team to do that. And they've shown recently that they're willing to be sellers at times, like when they traded Pence to the Giants. Depending on where the team is in the race, they'll look to move Byrd and Burnett, and maybe some other guys depending on the return.

The only worry I have as far as trading guys away is the awful and ridiculous 2nd wildcard keeping the Phillies in the race artificially, and leading to them trying to buy when they should sell.

They've lost my faith in drafting recently. I hope Crawford changes that but it seems like they've gone with guys with high athleticism and not necessarily "baseball" players, if that makes any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad