OT: Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Senior Citizens Bank Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
God forbid anybody in the organization is an exceptional player. With the #7 pick you should have a stud somewhere. This guy is poor mans Cole Hamels.

It's funny, because it's sad. Marti Wolever likes to crow about his drafts, but they've been generally bad. He went on a media tour recently and has been saying stuff like all of their 1st round picks made it to the bigs. Nevermind that a lot of them were just cups of coffee and many left the organization, and their farm system is ranked poorly.

I just heard an interesting stat on the radio: Since 2004 the players they drafted in the 1st or 1st supplemental have combined for a negative WAR and they're the only franchise to have this.

I know 1st round picks in baseball aren't generally regarded as highly as say 1st round picks in football, but if you miss on these year after year it'll be an issue.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
This kid looks like he will be a decent player. At #7, I want somebody amazing at something. Whether its a 97mph fastball or a power OF.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don't mind the pick. What I was lamenting is the fact that we are right on the cusp of being bad enough to get a difference maker, but management keeps us at that precise level of mediocrity because of some desire to let Utley, Lee, Papelbon, etc age themselves into retirement.

Yeah I hear ya. I don't think there's any person out there that doesn't want to blow it up & start from scratch but unfortunately those who are in charge to make decisions don't feel the same way.

From what I read about Nola is he isn't a typical Phillies pick & I think I like that.

Last edited:

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Yeah I hear ya, I don't think there's any person out there that doesn't want to blow it up & start from scratch but unfortunately those who are in charge to make decisions.

From what I read about Nola is he isn't a typical Phillies pick & I think I like that.

Best case scenario is that Nola = Wacha. It's possible and I hope it comes to that.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
nola is a 3-4 reliever type
I don't think he's a reliever type. If he can't crack it as a starter he probably won't be in the league. He's not a sexy pick, but he's probably the best control guy in the draft, which considering their development of pitchers the last decade is a good thing. Often gets compared to Leake, but his stuff is a tick better. 3/4 release could make him tough against right handers. Reading conflicting reports on his changeup. Keith Law in his writeup says it is his third pitch, but I heard him today on air say it was his second best pitch. If it is indeed a plus pitch, that should help even out his platoon splits.
Matt Imhof out of Cal Poly, 6'5" 220 lbs. He had a 3-1 strikeout to walk ratio this season.
Led the country in strikeouts. Funky delivery, but he's a big lefty so he as a chance. Can be a bullpen guy if he doesn't work out as a starter. Command slipped a little this year. That seems to be the knock on him.

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I like both picks so far. Now if we can dump some vets for some young talent. It is going to be ugly around here for a few years. This team is not the 1914 Braves!!

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Baseball draft is so speculative. There is little to no point in complaining or even getting excited about the pick, unless you take a Strasburg or Harper level prospect (or pass one of them). Chances are you've never heard of the guy they drafted or any of the guys they would have drafted if not Nola. We'll find out in 4-5 years what we really have with him and he could be an Ace, he could be a 2-5, he could be a closer, he could be a career minor leaguer.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The MLB draft is more of an auction than anything. Even if Jackson fell, it doesn't sound like they would have taken him anyway. They probably already negotiated with Nola.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
I didn't like our third pick in brown but getting the 45 ranked prospect at 107 is great and got a right handed first baseman with plus plus power is the 5th round is also great

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
Anyone have any preliminary thoughts on the picks?

If you read the scouting reports, they are taking probably the safest pick (highest ceiling) of the players available which is unusual for them. All of the prospects drafted so far have a potential overall scouting grade of 55 which is above average. Got 4 pitchers who all have good stuff and a power hitting first baseman. Can't complain. The 4th round pitcher hits 98 as a starter and has an above average slider

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
The guy they took in the 3rd round was announced as an OF, although he also pitched in college.

5 college juniors so far. While it seems like at least the first 4 of them have some upside/projection, it would be nice to eventually grab some HS players.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I think, as we are now where we're desperate for good prospects, college was the way to go this time around.

It's not that uncommon for college players drafted in rounds 2-10 to get to pro ball and absolutely stink. The Phillies have a few of them. While I like what I'm reading about most of these guys, I'm still taking a wait and see approach like I would with a high schooler.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Anyone have any preliminary thoughts on the picks?

I kind of hate it. Most scouts think that of all the tools Hitting is the one that you can teach and or manipulate the most. So drafting Athletic kids who can't hit was the way we used to pick. You can't teach speed, or power those things are largely dependent upon natural athleticism and or size. Pitching is the same thing, You can't teach a mid nineties fastball, but you can teach strikezone , and off speed pitches. Fastball is dependant upon frame as well.

So for the past 4 years we drafted atheltic guys who have the natural abilities that can't be taught but who lack the polish to be good hitters. The draft is such a crapshoot that i think this is the way to go from a philosphy pov. Sometimes it works out and you get a dom brown, other times it doesnt and you get a anthony hewitt or a greg golson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille