OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2019 Offseason #FireSZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I got the impression that he was a big part of the Yankees plan to become champions again. It's pretty hilarious that it hasn't worked, at least so far.
With the emergence of Urshella and return of Andujar, Didi played himself off a contract renewal with the Yankees.

Should still be a serviceable player for the Phillies though.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Sorry but this is wrong. Segura actually went through some terrible ****. With Milwaukee his 9 month old son died unexpectedly and his play suffered tremendously. Eventually he got a second chance with Arizona and put up numbers. He was traded to the Mariners in a pretty big trade (haniger, walker, marte) and Seattle was a mess that offloaded everyone in firesale fashion. So no I wouldn’t say the number of teams he played for says much about the quality of teammate he is.

You’d think that, from a value perspective, Segura would be more comfortably in the black, and traded accordingly. But for one thing, Segura is dogged by an unflattering reputation. For another thing, Crawford is an intriguing unknown. And for a third thing, take a look at the shortstop market out there. There wouldn’t have been many buyers.

It’s most worth dwelling on the latter two points. It’s unclear how much teams really care whether a player doesn’t always get along with everybody. Segura isn’t the most popular player in the clubhouse, but maybe he just hasn’t had the right group of peers.
The Phillies Were Jean Segura’s Entire Market

SEATTLE -- A brawl broke out in the Seattle Mariners' clubhouse Tuesday several hours before a game at Safeco Field. Shortstop Jean Segura and teammate Dee Gordon apparently tangled, while catcher Mike Zunino and other players tried to break up the skirmish.

Moments after Gordon politely asked reporters to leave the locker room, the double doors burst open with players shoving and shouting. Segura was on the ground in the fracas.
"Whatever happens in here stays in here," Mariners star Robinson Cano said after a 5-3 loss to Baltimore. "It didn't affect anyone in here. We let it go. We're good. Everyone is good. We left that behind."
Brawl breaks out in Seattle Mariners' clubhouse

Jon Heyman: Clubhouse culture may have been Mariners' ultimate culprit

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I know 3B is a super crowded position, but if Rendon ends up getting less than Strasburg, the Pitching market is proper screwed. The term on these uninsurable SP deals are just absurd.

Now that I said this, watch him re-sign a ridiculous front-loaded 9 year deal with an out after 4 at 38+ per.

On these humongous starter deals, what do the evil maths say about how worthwhile it is to sink that level of money into a position that plays every five days?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
On these humongous starter deals, what do the evil maths say about how worthwhile it is to sink that level of money into a position that plays every five days?

That it's much better than paying a Reliever.

There are so many tricky parts to such a discussion like the SP being your highest impact player for a one game sample and thus how you value high-leverage games, but ultimately this is the $/WAR argument. The last time I saw numbers (the previous offseasonish), I believe SPs on the average had a better $/fWAR rate than position players.

There's an article up on Fangraphs about just how often Cole takes the opt out. It's probably more likely than we think. It's just that so many of the situations where he doesn't are abject disasters. They also have one up on Strasburg's deal with some comps and they all aged shockingly well. The vast majority got better in their early 30s and almost all of them aged through 37 pretty well too.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Dag, yo. I really thought we'd land Redon. So Phillies signing Gregorious, does that mean Segura to third? Is Gregorious playing third? Kingery? Or is Kingery staying in the OF? Who is playing second? WHAT IS GOING ON IN OUR INFIELD AND HAS ANYONE SEEN MICKEY MORANDINI OR MARLON ANDERSON?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad