OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2019 Offseason #FireSZN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I hope that means Klentak is gone too.

im feeling that too, it's just like the ron hextall situation, he refuseds to fire hak, he's gone, klentak refuses to fire gabe, he's probably gone too. i wouldnt want klentak to pick the next manager anyway. i think that's the mistake middleton made, he should have fired klentak and gabe before middleton brought in charlie manual as their hitting coach.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Dead men walking.

Firing Klentak after essentially calling him an elite GM six months ago is not a good look.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnS

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I dunno. I'm not on board with the vitriol towards Klentak. If he's fired, so be it. I get it but I wouldn't agree with it. The dude went out and landed some sweet FAs who turned this team from bad to good without dealing away prospects. GMs can't vaccinate against the injury bug. Traded for JT. He explored upgrading the SP but when Moniak is the asking price for Tanner Roark (a rental) as reported by I believe Salisbury...I mean come on.

Is it a fireable offense to not get fleeced?

I'd see what they do this offseason. Lots of arms. Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Odorizzi, Will Harris, Will Smith....plus the decimated bullpen arms will be back

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I view GM’s & Manager’s in baseball today as pretty replaceable. So I don’t really care either way.

A bad GM today isn’t anywhere close to a bad GM 10-15 years ago.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I dunno. I'm not on board with the vitriol towards Klentak. If he's fired, so be it. I get it but I wouldn't agree with it. The dude went out and landed some sweet FAs who turned this team from bad to good without dealing away prospects. GMs can't vaccinate against the injury bug. Traded for JT. He explored upgrading the SP but when Moniak is the asking price for Tanner Roark (a rental) as reported by I believe Salisbury...I mean come on.

Is it a fireable offense to not get fleeced?

I'd see what they do this offseason. Lots of arms. Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler, Odorizzi, Will Harris, Will Smith....plus the decimated bullpen arms will be back

He's been the GM for five years. Where is the depth? We had Haseley and who else come up from the minors this year and help.

They had a ton of injuries this year and it's reasonable to point to that but then you look at teams like the Yankees and Brewers who also suffered from that but they didn't have players like Brad Miller or Sean Rodriguez filling the spots. That's on Klentak and MacPhail. You can't just build a team in Free Agency you need to hit on some of these prospects and well they just haven't.

Congrats, he signed some free agents anyone can do that. Are we going to leave out the part where Middleton had to jump in and essentially make him sign Harper? He didn't think that Manny Machado was worth $300M and i'm not sure if he though Harper was worth that number either.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
He's been the GM for five years. Where is the depth? We had Halsely and who else come up from the minors this year and help.

They had a ton of injuries this year and it's reasonable to point to that but then you look at teams like the Yankees and Brewers who also suffered from that but they didn't have players like Brad Miller or Sean Rodriguez filling the spots. That's on Klentak and MacPhail. You can't just build a team in Free Agency you need to hit on some of these prospects and well they just haven't.

Congrats, he signed some free agents anyone can do that. Are we going to leave out the part where Middleton had to jump in and essentially make him sign Harper? He didn't think that Manny Machado was worth $300M and i'm not sure if he though Harper was worth that number either.
Valid points. Haseley is a good one. Bohm looks to be a good one. Howard looks to be a good one. Dominguez is a good one, Hammer is useful. But you'd like to see more arms in the system.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Congrats, he signed some free agents anyone can do that.

that's selling him short though since as far as I know from what was said at the start of the season, no GM has ever signed 4 FA's in one off-season that all played in the All Star game the previous season. (Harper, Realmuto, Segura, Roberston) granted he may not have wanted to sign Harper to that contract as what GM would since it's likely going to be a major problem down the road like Ryan Howard's contract was.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
that's selling him short though since as far as I know from what was said at the start of the season, no GM has ever signed 4 FA's in one off-season that all played in the All Star game the previous season. (Harper, Realmuto, Segura, Roberston) granted he may not have wanted to sign Harper to that contract as what GM would since it's likely going to be a major problem down the road like Ryan Howard's contract was.

He traded for Realmuto and Segura though. I'm sure that you're aware of that though so that's just nitpicking.

I love Realmuto and he was probably the best player on the team this season so i'll give him credit for that.

But again, they need something to come from the farm system and they just haven't been able to produce that. The building through FA and trades well will run dry. Hell, he's also signed players like Arrieta and Santana to huge contracts. The Arrieta deal is meh because they had to spend the money somewhere on that team two years ago but signing Santana to put Hoskins in the outfield was inexcusable.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He traded for Realmuto and Segura though. I'm sure that you're aware of that though so that's just nitpicking.

I love Realmuto and he was probably the best player on the team this season so i'll give him credit for that.

But again, they need something to come from the farm system and they just haven't been able to produce that. The building through FA and trades well will run dry. Hell, he's also signed players like Arrieta and Santana to huge contracts. The Arrieta deal is meh because they had to spend the money somewhere on that team two years ago but signing Santana to put Hoskins in the outfield was inexcusable.

yes I should have said added 4 All stars plus McCutchen was a former MVP although clearly not close to that player anymore and his contract is too heavy imo but a smart move to bring in such a good leader for the clubhouse after last year's reports of issues in the clubhouse and say what you will about this team but they weren't bad at all and then turned to shit after they lost Cutch. Don't know how much the 2 are related.

As for the farm system that is another story, there was a lot of talk on other sites that are heavy on phillies prospects and I usually have an Milb.tv sub so I have followed their prospects closely for several years. The talk going into this year was that they had too draft busts, now this year the talk seemed to move to the lack of development.

Next year you should be looking at their top 2 prospects in Bohm and Howard not only on the team but playing a major role. So if that's how it unfolds and how they do will of course play a large part in how the farm system is viewed.

The problem seemed to be a very stupid idea by MLB to change the balls but only at the major and AAA level, so if you saw a the number of arms that went from Reading to LV and how they did well at Reading and then stunk at LV, for the bulk of them to all do this speaks to there being a problem with the balls. There is talk they are going to try and new ball yet again next season, this time it's said to be in the middle of the old balls and this years balls. I just don't get why they had the AAA guys use them and not all the levels or at least AA as well knowing that guys that moved up from Reading and would be close to the majors at least for some, would then have to learn how to pitch with the new ball.

So we'll see what happens there, they have a few pen arms that could be something, I like Brogdon and had hoped he would get the call in Sept, but if he repeats what he did in LV after adjusting he should get a look with the phils at some point next year.

But it's certainly a fair concern after Kingery, Haseley, they haven't had much from the farm system in the past 2 years and that needs to be looked at. I know they made big changes when they hired the guys from driveline but I couldn't say when we should expect to see better results as from what I understand and I could be wrong is that they do better work with hitters but I'm not that familiar with them and this year I didn't pay as much attention to the farm system as I usually do.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

that's the problem, you cant rely on free agents to win, you need players from the farm system to step up, this team has talent, they just dont have coaching to get them play consistent, which is why gabe has to go, with the right coaching and manager, this team can get to the next level. if they want to go after another arm or hitter, that's fine.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town

Oh how soon people forget...

He hae been a good owner since Banner left. Which was in 2012. They were never likeble before.

As far as the Phillies go. If McPhail and Klentak go, Gabe is gone as a new gm will want his manager. This offseason they to bring in at least two starters. I dont expect Franco back. I would try to see what they could get for Hernandez or have Kingery play 3rd til Bohm is ready and shift him to 2nd when he is up.

Reactions: tucson83

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
my guess, and it's just spectulation on my part, is that charlie was brought on by the owner. he had him grade out the players, gabe and the coaches. they are going through the process of what to do next, before announcing anything.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
if gabe is the manager, he would have been back as of tuesday, there's nothing to delay. if there's a delay something is going on, middleton knows that fans dont want gabe back, outside media knows it, alot of players dont want him back.

even if the managers that we want that dont want to come here, that's not going to make middleton keep gabe because if he's here next year and the team takes a nose dive and he has to fire him and hire another manager that's probably not popular. that doesnt make sense.

what makes sense is that matt klentak and andy mcphail has failed this team since they got here, no playoffs, not fixing the starting rotation when players were good there, bad drafting etc, that's why there's a delay, it's the management and it doesnt take overnight to find canadiates, it could take a week or two to replace the front office, it took a while for the flyers to replace the front office.

that's what is going on, if gabe is back, middleton is very bad owner and manager because he's going to lose the fanbase and money especially the 360 million dollars he invested in harper not to menion jt may not resign either, he doesnt want to be part of bad culture that gabe created, it's basically the marlins 2.0.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Howard Eskin on 94 wip today said he thinks Kapler is 99.99% gone and 50% on the GM. I know it's Eskin but just passing it along. Some thoughts I've heard is that they are waiting on TB's playoffs to be over.

Reactions: tucson83

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
Howard Eskin on 94 wip today said he thinks Kapler is 99.99% gone and 50% on the GM. I know it's Eskin but just passing it along. Some thoughts I've heard is that they are waiting on TB's playoffs to be over.
who is it they are after from tampa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad