Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Me reading this thread while not following baseball at all:

tenor.gif

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I thought Gregorius was good and young - why is he signing a one-year deal?
Had TJ surgery last year. Betting on himself. If he does well he gets a raise. Can't blame him.

Which, of course, he will, and the Phillies will either not keep him or have to pay out the ass for him. But if he did sign a longer term deal he wouldn't have done well or would have a sore elbow by May 20th

Philly's Law

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Phillies don’t have a lefty at the top of the rotation? I believe they might try and make a deal for one. We more than likely won’t go Nola/Wheeler/Arrieta as the 1-2-3

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Arietta can't be anywhere near the top of the rotation. Hell I don't even really want him in the rotation at all. I think they will add another arm via the bargain bin. Spencer Howard up after Super Two cutoff/innings limit.

Fangraphs had Didi projected at ~3x16. If that's any indication of what the free agent market looks like for Shortstops...plus a lot of smoke about Correa getting moved. It's odd. SS is the premier position and so few contenders need one.

Segura plays 2nd/3rd or gets sold for pennies.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Fangraphs had Didi projected at ~3x16. If that's any indication of what the free agent market looks like for Shortstops...plus a lot of smoke about Correa getting moved. It's odd. SS is the premier position and so few contenders need one.

I hope they don't sell him for pennies

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Arietta can't be anywhere near the top of the rotation. Hell I don't even really want him in the rotation at all. I think they will add another arm via the bargain bin. Spencer Howard up after Super Two cutoff/innings limit.

Segura to 2nd, Kingery to 3rd...

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Holy hell. I'm not sure you can justify that combination of term and money for any Pitcher.

That's overhwlemingly likely to be uninsurable in the current market.
I am wondering if any of it is deferred because of that price tag. Cole is my favorite player in baseball. Elite talent is worth paying for even though you'll never get the value you are capable of getting on younger players. Kinda like racing teams, it can cost you $100k to shave a second off of your lap time, but $1 million to shave off the next 0.1 second.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I am wondering if any of it is deferred because of that price tag. Cole is my favorite player in baseball. Elite talent is worth paying for even though you'll never get the value you are capable of getting on younger players. Kinda like racing teams, it can cost you $100k to shave a second off of your lap time, but $1 million to shave off the next 0.1 second.
I believe I saw reports that there was no deferred money in the deal.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
another cool thing about Cole's deal with the Yankees....the yankees actually drafted him near the end of the first round out of HS. They tried to sign him but he went to UCLA. Pirates drafted him first overall 3 years later.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I thought Gregorius was good and young - why is he signing a one-year deal?

Had Tommy John surgery and came back halfway through the year, where he struggled a bit, notably as a hitter. He's betting on himself to get back to form this year. The defense shouldn't be a question - just want his hitting back to where it was.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
I hope they don't sell him for pennies

I don't get the Segura hate or desire to trade; I'm seeing it everywhere. I thought he was pretty good for us last year and early in the year was the only guy playing well after McCutch went down. I've seen some (not here) even suggest he's a bad locker room guy?

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I don't get the Segura hate or desire to trade; I'm seeing it everywhere. I thought he was pretty good for us last year and early in the year was the only guy playing well after McCutch went down. I've seen some (not here) even suggest he's a bad locker room guy?
What you don't realize is he actually tore McCutcheon's ACL. He shall be banished

In all seriousness, I don't know what they have planned for the infield yet until the 3B fA market dries up. With Didi and Kingery he is a pretty clear trade chip for pitching. His defense wasn't fantastic last year, but maybe it improves at 2nd.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
What you don't realize is he actually tore McCutcheon's ACL. He shall be banished

In all seriousness, I don't know what they have planned for the infield yet until the 3B fA market dries up. With Didi and Kingery he is a pretty clear trade chip for pitching. His defense wasn't fantastic last year, but maybe it improves at 2nd.

Forgot about that lol and the whole play. Forget what team we were playing ,but that purposely missed fly ball was weak. If Bohm starts the year and Kingery starts infield as well, I'm fine with trading him for pitching. Especially if we land Rendon (dont see it happening) or Donaldson. Idk how I feel about these Bryant rumors.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well he's been with 5 organizations in 8 seasons including 4 big league teams in his last 5 seasons. Seems like he wears out his welcome. I think the Seattle breakup was quite public.

As for the player, he needs to play SS to reach his max value and his defense isn't great to begin with. Add in the bad body and the injury history and it probably won't age well. Second base has become an offensive position now (Moustakas and Muncy have become acceptable). You probably need a masher there. Segura's skillset can be valuable on the right team, but he's a contact guy without much power, reliant somewhat on infield hits to boost his BABIP (read again: bad body and injury history). Doesn't walk. Pretty much the antithesis of the hitter thriving in today's game.He's probably a league average hitter at best. Only stole 10 bases last year. Added a career high in base running value last year, but not sure you can expect that again.

An infield of:
Kingery
Didi
Segura
Rhys

Isn't going to scare anyone...and I still believe in Rhys. That's probably 3 league average hitters, two at "offensive" positions. Not sure that is pushing this team to the 90 win threshold. Maybe rookie Bohm moves the needle, but you can't count on that. I think they are going to add another bat and continue to use Kingery as a middle of the diamond chess piece.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well he's been with 5 organizations in 8 seasons including 4 big league teams in his last 5 seasons. Seems like he wears out his welcome. I think the Seattle breakup was quite public.

As for the player, he needs to play SS to reach his max value and his defense isn't great to begin with. Add in the bad body and the injury history and it probably won't age well. Second base has become an offensive position now (Moustakas and Muncy have become acceptable). You probably need a masher there. Segura's skillset can be valuable on the right team, but he's a contact guy without much power, reliant somewhat on infield hits to boost his BABIP (read again: bad body and injury history). Doesn't walk. Pretty much the antithesis of the hitter thriving in today's game.He's probably a league average hitter at best. Only stole 10 bases last year. Added a career high in base running value last year, but not sure you can expect that again.

An infield of:
Kingery
Didi
Segura
Rhys

Isn't going to scare anyone...and I still believe in Rhys. That's probably 3 league average hitters, two at "offensive" positions. Not sure that is pushing this team to the 90 win threshold. Maybe rookie Bohm moves the needle, but you can't count on that. I think they are going to add another bat and continue to use Kingery as a middle of the diamond chess piece.

I'd really be interested to find out why this website keeps doing this to your font :laugh:

Reactions: Young Sandwich

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

An infield of:
Kingery
Didi
Segura
Rhys

Sorry but this is wrong. Segura actually went through some terrible shit. With Milwaukee his 9 month old son died unexpectedly and his play suffered tremendously. Eventually he got a second chance with Arizona and put up numbers. He was traded to the Mariners in a pretty big trade (haniger, walker, marte) and Seattle was a mess that offloaded everyone in firesale fashion. So no I wouldn’t say the number of teams he played for says much about the quality of teammate he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad