OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Offseason Edition: Eagles Select 13th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
All I've heard is that this is a trash draft for QB, but it sounds like theres like 3 or 4 QBs going in the 1st.

WTF?

People seem to get desperate about QBs. Pretty clear you can't win without a top flight QB (at least not consistently) and while this year may be weaker than others, one of Goff, Wentz, Lynch, or Cook could still turn out to be a good QB. Maybe not Manning or Brady, but a guy that can win you 10+ games a year and give you a shot to win a SB.

You can only go with what you have now. Is Cook a franchise QB? Who knows. But if you need a QB you can't just say, "I'll wait until next year's draft because it should be better." You do that and you may wind up in no better situation the following year and put it off again. Look at all the teams that passed on a guy like Rodgers with likely that mindset. Now, of course I am not saying there is an Aaron Rodgers in every draft, but if you need a QB, which is the most important position on the team (possibly in all sports), you're going to reach. Missing out on another position player sucks if your QB busts, but if he doesn't, nothing else matters. Calculated risk.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Cardinal sin is drafting for need instead of BPA. That's how you become the Browns

Eh, not so much in the NFL. There's nothing wrong with drafting for need in the NFL. If you have two starting CBs but not QB, drafting another CB is likely not going to help you out all that much (or RB, or TE, or whatever the BPA is). It isn't like the NHL or MLB when you can really groom guys. In the NFL, rookies are expected to make impacts from the get-go, especially first rounders. If you need an OL, you draft OL over a DL if you have good D-Linemen. Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule. I wouldn't recommend passing on a bona fide superstar to fill a need with a lesser player, but assuming that is not the case, I've got no problem drafting to fill a need, especially in the first round.

Also, I don't think the Browns do that. The Browns haven't really been a bad drafting team in recent years outside of when they took a QB, and certainly haven't been drafting by need. Manziel didn't work out, but they desperately needed a QB. Turned out bad but it could have turned out great. It was a calculated risk (not to mention, taking Manziel at 23 wasn't all that big of a stretch, that's right around where he was projected to go). Weeden was a disaster but again he was projected to go in the early second round, taking him at 23 (after already having a first round pick) is not some crazy reach. Brady Quinn, IIRC, was actually projected to go much higher than he did so he was arguably the BPA at that time, it just happens that he sucked when all was said and done. Haha.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
There is kind of a mix, but I still think you go talent first. Eagles need a QB. If they draft Goff and he sucks and the guy after him turns out to be a Pro Bowler, revisionist history will smash them. I don't want to draft a ****** QB just because he happens to be a guy that plays QB. That's how you pass on guys like Earl Thomas. This team overall kind of sucks. Get good players first.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
There is kind of a mix, but I still think you go talent first. Eagles need a QB. If they draft Goff and he sucks and the guy after him turns out to be a Pro Bowler, revisionist history will smash them. I don't want to draft a ****** QB just because he happens to be a guy that plays QB. That's how you pass on guys like Earl Thomas. This team overall kind of sucks. Get good players first.

Won't that be true if the opposite happens? If they draft the BPA and it is a WR/RB/LB/DB whatever and Goff goes next and is a pro-bowler, isn't the narrative going to be that the Eagles desperately needed a young QB and passed on a pro-bowl QB that everyone had projected to go around that time to get Player X?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Won't that be true if the opposite happens? If they draft the BPA and it is a WR/RB/LB/DB whatever and Goff goes next and is a pro-bowler, isn't the narrative going to be that the Eagles desperately needed a young QB and passed on a pro-bowl QB that everyone had projected to go around that time to get Player X?

I'll admit I haven't listened to much of the prospects, but I have heard on numerous occasions there is no franchise QB in this draft. If that's remotely accurate, wasting the #13 pick, when there are bigger concerns on this team, especially when they have no 2nd pick either, could be terrible.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
this scenario is ten times worse than passing on whatever other position that is far less important to the team's success than that of the QB position...

that being said I don't know what they should do :dunno:

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'll admit I haven't listened to much of the prospects, but I have heard on numerous occasions there is no franchise QB in this draft. If that's remotely accurate, wasting the #13 pick, when there are bigger concerns on this team, especially when they have no 2nd pick either, could be terrible.

Yeah I'm not saying they HAVE to draft a QB in this draft (first round or otherwise), I'm just saying that in general I'm ok with a team drafting a QB higher than he's projected to go. If you are the GM and you think there's a QB that can be your starter, you pretty much have to take him if you don't think he'll be there when you pick again (again, there obvious exceptions to this rule, but for the most part in today's NFL you have to live by this rule). If a DB is the consensus BPA at #13 but there's a QB you think can be your starter for the next decade but he's not going to be available in the second round, would you take the DB? I wouldn't.

Tankadelphia

All Hail Ghost Bear
Mar 7, 2014
Tankadelphia
theres no franchise quarterbacks in this draft, but there are at least 3 that have starter potential. Each of the top 3 quarterbacks have at least 1 elite attribute, but are raw. This is actually a halfway decent draft for quarterbacks. This will not be like taking geno smith or ej manuel in the first round. These players are NFL quarterbacks and deserve to be first rounders

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
theres no franchise quarterbacks in this draft, but there are at least 3 that have starter potential. Each of the top 3 quarterbacks have at least 1 elite attribute, but are raw. This is actually a halfway decent draft for quarterbacks. This will not be like taking geno smith or ej manuel in the first round. These players are NFL quarterbacks and deserve to be first rounders

Bradford is better than all of them.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
My take on this QB class is that there is significant potential. The 3 guys everyone mention all have serious NFL tools but need significant tooling. I also throw Hackenberg in that mix I think his arm strength is too good to pass up on.

if Chip were still here running this show I would have no problem grabbing Lynch at 13 and rolling with it. I think he would be a good fit to what he would want to get done.

With Doug in, we are still uncertain about what he wants there. If we model what we had in KC I go back to the guys that I have mentioned before that could be solid mid round guys. Allen, Coker, Driskel and maybe even a Brissett are guys I would be happy getting out of the draft in the 4th-5th rounds

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
Bradford is better than all of them.

Agree. I just think the deal with Bradford now is about money. They get this thing done at a reasonable price and I am very happy to have him here long term.

If we look at his body of work over the last 7-8 games he was everything we would want out of the QB position. That under an incredibly amount of instability around him. That to me speaks volumes to the QB he can become going forward.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So Chip comes out and says Kaep is going to stay, several hours later, Kaep and his agent want out.

lol.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
eagles.jpg

Look at all those Eagles scouts.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
lol @ using the 40 yd dash. Who cares how fast somebody is, there are like 12 things I'd rather a player be good at before being fast.

BTW, Schefter reporting that Murray wants out still.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Eagles have until 4:00 today to franchise tag Bradford.

Doesn't seem like they will use it though. They seemed to have put in a larger offer to Bradford than before. People speculating 13-15 mil a season. I think I would sign him to that (and draft a QB either this season or next), bt anything close to 20 and I dont... he isn't worth 20 mil a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad