OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Interrupting the Process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
If Embiid is 100%, Simmons doesn't matter.
We forget how good Embiid was before he was injured, and he's worked on his game, how many 7'2 centers can hit the three?
He's freakin' HUGE these days.

I think you listed the problem though, trusting that he is 100%.

Also when he gets into his first game (which here I am assuming next season), he would have not played competitive basketball in 2 1/2 years. Don't get me wrong, I am truely hoping he comes in and beasts it, but I do think it's smart when planning the future to not automatically think of Embiid.

TheSpectrum

Oct 18, 2011
He may not have the jumper (yet), but he does everything else so well, he'll change a franchise for the better.

His ability to facilitate at his size is so rare, he's going to be great in the NBA.

LSU had him practically running the point last night it was interesting to watch. His court vision is insane and the precision on his passing is elite.

It was just great to see Simmons still have a profound impact on a game where he had early foul trouble and had low usage on offense. Still, when the ball circled back to him he was virtually unstoppable inside. I am yet to see the Durant comps as he hasn't showcased much of an outside touch. Everything else checks out.

Sixers land Simmons and these 3 years will be worth it. Him and a healthy Embiid would be a legitimate 1-2 core in the NBA.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Billy King out.

Btw went to my 1st Sixers game in 3 years. The start was good. Everything else...

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
25 point win against a fringe playoff team in the west tonight. Biggest win in like 2 years.

I'm convinced that Ish Smith needs to be re-signed to a long-term deal. He's seriously helping the development of our young bigs.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
25 point win against a fringe playoff team in the west tonight. Biggest win in like 2 years.

I'm convinced that Ish Smith needs to be re-signed to a long-term deal. He's seriously helping the development of our young bigs.

Agreed, he deserves to get paid. While he's been here Noel and Okafor's numbers look so much better.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Haven't watched a game in forever, and don't plan on any time soon, but at least they haven't been a complete embarrassment lately.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
Haven't watched a game in forever, and don't plan on any time soon, but at least they haven't been a complete embarrassment lately.

I think they're fun to watch, as long as the games are close. I guess I just like watching young players grow. Okafor looked like a star in the first quarter. Covington seems like he's back to normal these last couple games. Pretty much everybody contributed; great win all around.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Okafor kills it early, then the double and triple teams start. However, it's obvious he's been working hard on his intermediate shot, and he's a natural shooter who should get better with more reps, his progress over half a season is excellent.

Biggest problem is having guys to dish it back out to, though RoCo finally looks healthy the last few games (shooters start on the legs, he finally has some explosion).

It's not just Ish's play, it's working through the roster and pushing guys back on the depth chart, Wroten gone, Marshall, Landry at the back of the bench, Canaan limited to a backup SG role, McConnell matched up against backup PGs who lack elite quickness.

Stauskas is still inconsistent as a shooter, but BB has him hustling and playing defense, which is a plus over Canaan, a defensive liability, and Thompson, who is too slow for SG.

Grant plays defense, Sampson tries but is headed back to the bench when Grant returns.

You can see where this team could make a quantum jump if they added an elite wing player.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I would love to know what Okafor's 1st quarter averages are. Seems to kill it early.

Ya gotta think his conditioning is what holds him back from being consistent with respect to both halves of the game.

He's very effective and noticeable the first half and usually some-what invisible in the 2nd half.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Probably should have won that game.

Also Okafor went to the bench sometime in the 3rd quarter and didn't play at all in the 4th or both overtimes.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
That, and the Sixers poor free throw shooting bit them in the ass.

They are the 2nd worst FT shooting team in the league, and have been poor the last 3 seasons. That needs to improve as the team get better players you'd hope.

IrishSniper87

Jun 25, 2007
Media, PA
I'm really excited about this team for next year. A top 3 pick, probably another pick in the top 20, Embiid should be ready and Saric should come over.

I'm trying to figure out where this team goes in the next two years. They will have to trade someone if not multiple people; Okafor, Noel, Embiid, Saric, Simmons (god willing) all can't play together. You probably want only two of these 5 on the floor anyway (4's and 5's)

Things get easier if you move one or two of these players for guard help (I predict Noel gets moved but Okafor has more value). If you end up with Ingram, who pretty much would have the 3 spot to lose, now you can rock NEW - NEW - Ingram - Saric - Okafor.

Of course Embiid is the wildcard. I'm still convinced he is biggest potential star on the team. highest ceiling but huge injury risk. I am leaning towards the Sixers keeping Okafor long term and working with him on his defense.

If the Lakers could win a few games and drop out of the top 3, things could get REALLY interesting but Kobe's farewell tour seems to be serving them a top 3 pick they won't have to cough up to us.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice win tonight. Hopefully Noel is ok.

They have been looking so much better of late...even in the losses which have been close and exciting. The Knick game was enjoyable to watch even though they couldn't pull it out ...

Next season is gonna be interesting. It is so hard to say who should eventually go...Okafor or Noel. To me Noel just has so much versatility....I hope the Sixers make the right moves in the offseason. I mean if Embiid is healthy I will not care as much if they trade either Noel or Okafor but again even with Embiid I think Noel is a better fit with him. I'm leaning on trading Okafor at this point....we should reap a nice return but I would hope it wouldn't come back to bite them like with Brad Daugherty back in the day...

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
They have been looking so much better of late...even in the losses which have been close and exciting. The Knick game was enjoyable to watch even though they couldn't pull it out ...

Next season is gonna be interesting. It is so hard to say who should eventually go...Okafor or Noel. To me Noel just has so much versatility....I hope the Sixers make the right moves in the offseason. I mean if Embiid is healthy I will not care as much if they trade either Noel or Okafor but again even with Embiid I think Noel is a better fit with him. I'm leaning on trading Okafor at this point....we should reap a nice return but I would hope it wouldn't come back to bite them like with Brad Daugherty back in the day...
Pretty much in agreement. If Embiid proves his health, you can move on from either with a clear conscience. Predicting major trades like that is extremely difficult, but the most realistic one I can come up with is something happening involving McCollum from Portland. Also, we're in big trouble if we don't get Simmons or Ingram this draft. Potential in the prospects fall off a cliff after those two IMO.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I really haven't been keeping up with my basketball. Couldn't believe McCollum was averaging 20 a game when I saw it on the tube tonight.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Ex Sixer KJ McDaniels played 30 seconds last night and committed 5 fouls. They were going against the Pistons and intentionally fouling Drummond. They lost in the process, but Drummond went 13/36 from the line setting an NBA record for most free throw misses in one game.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I really haven't been keeping up with my basketball. Couldn't believe McCollum was averaging 20 a game when I saw it on the tube tonight.
He's awesome. You really saw his potential over the games where Lillard was hurt. http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mccolcj01/gamelog/2016/#130-135-sum:pgl_basic He can shoot from anywhere on the court off the dribble or catch, great handle, and is more of a play maker when Lillard isn't in the game. For the Sixers, I think a trio of McCollum, Ingram/Simmons (hopefully), and one of our centers would be a great trio build around.

For the Blazers there are several reasons I think they would do it. Number one they could really use an upgrade over their center Plumlee. Two, I don't think the combo of Lillard/McCollum is ideal long term because of size and defensive concerns. They're not going to be able to stop anybody. CJ is pretty much a lite version of Lillard, is Portland going to want to pay big money to him as well? They have another guard in Crabbe that offers great shooting as well, but has much better size to guard against wings. Lastly, they have pretty much ideal pieces to surround an Okafor. A great shooting back-court, a 3&D wing in Aminu, and a stretch 4 in Leonard (Vonleh has potential at PF as well). Also note they signed Kanter to a max offer sheet last summer, so it's likely they're big fans of Okafor. Portland is 20th in pace too, so that suits him as well. Sorry for the run on nature of this post but I really think it makes sense for both teams, of course who knows what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad