OT: Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Interrupting the Process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I'm at the point where hindsight is 20/20, gotta move on with what we got and pray we get the #1 or 2 pick along with Embiid panning out.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'm at the point where hindsight is 20/20, gotta move on with what we got and pray we get the #1 or 2 pick along with Embiid panning out.
Agreed. I'm not bashing the pick, because I would have done the same thing Hinkie did. Too bad he didn't draft Giannis in 2013 as well smh. :sarcasm:

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
I've been seeing this "rumor" floating around the last day or so (probably just more of a trade suggestion somebody made online and it spread because it made sense) involving Okafor to Portland for McCollum. How would you guys feel about that?

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I've been seeing this "rumor" floating around the last day or so (probably just more of a trade suggestion somebody made online and it spread because it made sense) involving Okafor to Portland for McCollum. How would you guys feel about that?

I wouldn't want to do that.

Would you guys give up Okafor for say the 4th pick in the draft?

Personally, I really like Sean Dunn from Providence. He has a Dwayne Wade/Derrick Rose hybrid feeling for me. Saw him live when they played Nova. He will be special

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Agreed. I'm not bashing the pick, because I would have done the same thing Hinkie did. Too bad he didn't draft Giannis in 2013 as well smh. :sarcasm:

I'm with ya though, it sucks to see how Porzingis is a great piece to build around, while there are still major questions about Okafor's game. There are a lot of questions about the Sixers in general, which leaves many uneasy, including myself.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Lol, is that becoming a thing? I wrote about it the other day. Would love to bring the Lehigh boy here.

Hurricane28

Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Lol, is that becoming a thing? I wrote about it the other day. Would love to bring the Lehigh boy here.

Man I was crushed when he was picked one spot ahead of us. I had watched most of his games at Lehigh (the upset at Duke was so sweet...I actually picked Lehigh in my bracket)

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Man I was crushed when he was picked one spot ahead of us. I had watched most of his games at Lehigh (the upset at Duke was so sweet...I actually picked Lehigh in my bracket)
I remember the draft well. They traded Holiday so you pretty much knew they were going with a PG at 11. People were really down on that draft back then, but it looks very good now.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
His defense is still questionable, but he can score from anywhere on the floor it seems.
CJ? I agree on both counts. I don't see Portland ever getting anywhere with him and Lillard (whose an even worse defender). They both should be guarding PGs only. It's a mismatch when one has to guard a wing. Shooting wise I would argue he's one of the five best shooters in the NBA. He could shoot off the catch or off the dribble from anywhere: http://on.nba.com/20bSO2I Rim finishing needs improvement though.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Embiid hasnt payed much basketball in his life, and he is would have missed two years of critical development already. Doubt he reaches his potential. Have to keep Noel though.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
CJ? I agree on both counts. I don't see Portland ever getting anywhere with him and Lillard (whose an even worse defender). They both should be guarding PGs only. It's a mismatch when one has to guard a wing. Shooting wise I would argue he's one of the five best shooters in the NBA. He could shoot off the catch or off the dribble from anywhere: http://on.nba.com/20bSO2I Rim finishing needs improvement though.

Yes, was referring to CJ, my bad, should have quoted you. Yup, the Lillard and CJ pairing is not going to work out on the defensive side of the ball, and it's pretty clear that Portland could use an upgrade to their front court.

A trade between the Sixers/Trail Blazers makes sense, rumor has it a Kevin love - McCollum trade is in talks.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I wouldn't want to do that.

Would you guys give up Okafor for say the 4th pick in the draft?

Personally, I really like Sean Dunn from Providence. He has a Dwayne Wade/Derrick Rose hybrid feeling for me. Saw him live when they played Nova. He will be special

We might end up with the 4th pick anyway, either with our own or the Lakers' pick. But to answer your question, no. This isn't supposed to be a great draft and Okafor has great upside. I'm more in favor of keeping Noel but I'd still need something better to trade Oak.

Also, I don't think the "who do we keep" decision needs to be made this year. Even if Embiid comes back healthy next year he'll probably have his minutes limited. We'll need to see how he looks and if he can hold up. We could keep all three of those guys for one year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm with ya though, it sucks to see how Porzingis is a great piece to build around, while there are still major questions about Okafor's game. There are a lot of questions about the Sixers in general, which leaves many uneasy, including myself.

This is abject nonsense. Far too early to know.
Both players are talented, but have different skill sets and backgrounds.

Porzingis shoots better, because that's stressed in the European game, and has been more physical than advertised, and he's tall. But he's not especially nifty.

Okafor is a better athlete but less polished, he never shot or played defense in his one year in college, he's climbing a learning curve, but in three months has extended his range out to 15 feet. For a guy who can't jump, he's averaging 1.1 blocks per game, and has a true shooting % of 51.8.

Thing to remember is Porzingis has better, and more importantly, far more experienced talent surrounding him, his numbers with Anthony off the floor are dismal, because defenses crash on him.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-kn...s-shows-how-important-carmelo-is-to-porzingis

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Anybody who is trying to determine a players career after 30-40 games usually means their opinions are pointless.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Once again Sixers look better with Nerlens playing big minutes in the middle (Okafor injured). Him and Okafor on the same court just don't mesh and team looks slower...

Actually, I think it has less to do with Noel/Okafor than RoCo and Thompson.
With RoCo healthy, he opens up the court for the rest of the team because if you leave him unguarded for a second = boom. And Thompson when on provides the same threat (Canaan does as well but he's such a defensive liability . . .)

Noel and Okafor looked fine a couple games ago, it's a work in progress but their skills can mesh, Okafor is extending his range, playing further from the basket on offense, opening up the paint for Noel. On defense, Okafor is reacting quicker off the P&R, while Noel has to learn to play defense at the "4" as well as the "5."

Noel looks best when he plays teams without a physical center that can manhandle him under the basket, but Okafor can matchup against any center.

The alternative is Noel at center with a small lineup that will be exposed against more physical teams - ideally you want to be able to mix and match them against opponents both between and within games.

Working with the two of them sets them up to work with Embiid and Saric next year - part of maturation as a player is understanding how to fit different roles, the more limited you are as a player the less valuable you are, and the easier it becomes for opposing coaches to create mismatches.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
So how badly are the Sixers screwed if they don't end up with Simmons and flip the switch -- they are winning some games now.

Hurricane28

Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I'm listening to Colin Cowherd and he brings up a good point about the NBA and how the ratings are down. He says that there is no villain anymore ever since Lebron left Cleveland. Everybody likes Steph Curry and Golden State

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
A trade between the Sixers/Trail Blazers makes sense, rumor has it a Kevin love - McCollum trade is in talks.
Just looked that up, seems like a Bill Simmons suggestion. That trade doesn't make any sense for Cleveland lol. Without putting much effort into it, a trade with Houston would make some sense. Capela + Jones for Love. The Cavs need players that can add value without needing the ball in their hands to put around their alpha dog ball handlers in James & Irving. Capela gives them a very good defensive player and a great finisher in the pick n roll with Lebron. Jones has had a bit of a down year but could be a good 3 and D power forward for them. Irving/Smith/LeBron/Jones/Capela gives them a better chance against the Warriors in the finals IMO. The Rockets could properly use Love and have Howard to protect against his poor D. Beverly/Harden/Ariza/Love/Howard looks good.
Glad to know they're go all this distance only to fart up the last four meters.
Keep in mind things could obviously change down the line. When the Sixers jumped up into 2nd in the 2010 lottery the vast consensus had Wall and Turner as the top 2 picks. Well, years later Turner sucks and Wall isn't even one of the best two players from that class.

Last edited:

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I'm listening to Colin Cowherd and he brings up a good point about the NBA and how the ratings are down. He says that there is no villain anymore ever since Lebron left Cleveland. Everybody likes Steph Curry and Golden State
I'm sure that has something to do with it. But I think the biggest problem is out of the 30 teams only 4 have any chance of winning the championship: Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, Thunder. In the NFL and NHL lower seeds at least have hope. It makes it more exciting IMO.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When you look at MVP voting the last few years, while there are some #1 picks, the spread is mostly throughout the top 10. Simmons might turn out to be James without a jump shot, Ingram might be a shooter who never learns to play defense - you're projecting 19-20 year olds. Maybe Dunn develops an outside shot and ends up better than both of them. Curry was #7.

As far as pure potential, neither can touch a healthy Embiid.

It comes down to accumulating assets, if the Lakers don't convey, they'll have it next year, if Miami doesn't convey, it's unprotected next year. They also have Sacremento in 2019.

With draft picks, lot's of money and hopefully a healthy Embiid and Saric coming over, the Sixers will still be a much better team next year - they can move around the draft, package players and draft picks, sign a FA, etc.

They have the ability to build a real team, compare to three years ago when they were dead in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad