Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Brett Clark

burst-out-laughing.gif

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/lightning-get-help-on-defense-acquire-coburn-from-flyers-20150302/
“It was surprising, for sure, but in the same breath, I’m real excited to come to Tampa Bay,’’ Coburn said. “They have a real exciting team down there. It will be weird leaving Philly, it’s been home for the better part of the past decade. It will be a new start, and I’m excited to get down there and meet my new teammates and get on the ice with these guys.’’
“I’m not going to try to do anything that is outside of my game,’’ Coburn said. “I’m going to play whatever role Jon Cooper wants me to play and bring my intangibles, my puck-moving, my skating, my defense, be a tough guy to play against and take care of the puck in the defensive zone. I still feel (young) but I guess I’m a bit of a veteran guy now so whatever leadership I can bring to the table I want to bring that.

“I’ve had some pretty healthy playoff runs, been right on the cusp when we got to Game 6 against Chicago in 2010. I’m really hungry to try to get back to that point.’’

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Coburn can be a very, very, very good #2 is he can stay focused and not get over aggressive on PK and some other plays.

He'll totally fit in with that basketball team you have on defense too, and probably be the fastest skater among them :laugh:

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Coburn can be a very, very, very good #2 is he can stay focused and not get over aggressive on PK and some other plays.

He'll totally fit in with that basketball team you have on defense too, and probably be the fastest skater among them :laugh:

Is he faster than Hedman? Heddy can move.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
i am unironically excited to see coburn play against buffalo, toronto, and dallas this week. and then against an NHL team next tuesday.

JS91

May 14, 2014
The more I think about this the more it makes sense to me. At first I thought we got fleeced but I had no idea what kind of a player Coburn was. Now that I've read a bunch of comments from Philly fans, it makes perfect sense for us. Even though he's a left shot he plays on the right side, he is big, very mobile and great at preventing zone entries and he plays big minutes. He's pretty much the ideal partner for Hedman. This also allows us to slot Stralman on the 2nd pairing with Garrison which I think fits him better than being on the 1st.
The price is still pretty steep, but if Coburn fits in with us as well as I think he will, it's worth it.

BOLTMAN

Jun 29, 2011
I copied and pasted this from the Flyers board.

Pretty much ho I'm looking at this.

A real great move Stevie (your the Best)

DrinkFightFlyers

Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

What did you want? They got more than any defenseman on the market so far, other than Yandle. Or are you just being (faux-)ironic contrarian since you hate the draft?

Gudas is a bottom pair defenseman. The pick is likely in the bottom five of the first round (and bottom five of the third round). The team got worse in the present, and at best it is a lateral move three years or so down the road when whomever we pick is NHL-ready. I would have liked maybe a prospect that was close to being NHL-ready or a player better than Gudas or perhaps another pick, something to that effect. Not sure exactly what I would have been happy about (i.e., which prospect, which NHLer, or which pick), but I think they could have gotten more.

This offseason people were saying they wouldn't do Coburn for Eberle, a guy that has shown he can put up 60-70+ points on a regular basis. But now a bottom pair defenseman, late first round pick, and a third rounder is ok? Yandle got more and he should have, and I'm not suggesting Coburn should have gotten a 1st/2nd/one of their best prospects/and a young RFA defenseman. But I don't think a 1st/3rd/Gudas + legit NHL prospect/other NHL roster player/other pick is some crazy amount for Coburn.

I really have never been opposed to trading Coburn unless the team was in a big playoff race or something like that, and the trade isn't terrible, it just isn't a good trade in my book. It makes the team worse now and only gives a slight chance at improvement down the line. Unless the Flyers hit an absolute home run in the draft, the best they can hope for is a guy that is as good as Coburn with that first pick. Yes, it is possible that they draft a top pairing stud defeseman, but the odds are greatly stacked against them that they will wind up with a 4-5-6 than with a 1-2-3 (or a bottom nine compared to top nine).

Trades like this should be made when you have a player that won't re-sign, or a player like Streit where he is older and having a good season that may not be replicated again. I don't think you should do this with your best/second best defenseman who is on a reasonable contract with another year left. Hell that alone should have been worth something to Tampa. I'm not saying fire Hextall or anything like that, I just think he could have gotten more, and if he no one was offering, then hold on to him.

The market for D-men has got to be heating up given the trades and the injuries that are taking place, no?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline Report Post

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The more I think about this the more it makes sense to me. At first I thought we got fleeced but I had no idea what kind of a player Coburn was. Now that I've read a bunch of comments from Philly fans, it makes perfect sense for us. Even though he's a left shot he plays on the right side, he is big, very mobile and great at preventing zone entries and he plays big minutes. He's pretty much the ideal partner for Hedman. This also allows us to slot Stralman on the 2nd pairing with Garrison which I think fits him better than being on the 1st.
The price is still pretty steep, but if Coburn fits in with us as well as I think he will, it's worth it.

It gives us flexibility. Hedman hasn't really been able to play with Stralman since before the injury, so we can go back to that if we want. Carle will come back as a third pairing guy, but Carle is always going to play big minutes under Coop. So we're going to be a defense by committee. No one guy should be overwhelmed by his matchup night after night. Coop just doesn't play Dmen 25 minutes. It's a more even split with us.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I asked this on the main boards and got a good response. Hedman plays on the first pair, and I'm curious if Coburn can anchor that pair. Your fellow Philly fans said yes. I'm just afraid that being on the top pair, facing the teams competition, how Coburn would be. Is he able to stack up against other teams' best, night in and night out, while allowing Hedman to roam, and take his leash off?

In the playoffs in particular, Coburn was generally matched up against the other team's top forwards. Malkin, Ovechkin, those guys. That's his greatest attribute, the ability to shut down (at least most of the time) the opponents' top players.

SgtJoseph*

Yeah - I seriously doubt he's faster than Hedman, but apparently he can really move, so 13 feet of fast, big dmen will be fun.

Coburn can skate with any D man in the league . He is one of those Skaters that don't look like he his trying to skate fast but he is haulin a$$ ! Jeff Carter is that way .

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
Coburn will probably be a nice addition for this year. I'm sure a change in scenery will have him flying around, making smart plays and you'll think you found yourself a shutdown monster. Then, eventually, he'll creep back to his often brain dead form that'll leave you screaming at your television.

Depends what those draft picks turn into, but right now it looks like Yzerman goofed up to be honest.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Is this the final nail in the coffin for Carle this off season? Uses too much cap space for a 3rd pair D.

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Coburn can skate with any D man in the league . He is one of those Skaters that don't look like he his trying to skate fast but he is haulin a$$ ! Jeff Carter is that way .

Marleau is that way as well. You can't tell he's hauling ass until someone tries to actually catch him.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Coburn will probably be a nice addition for this year. I'm sure a change in scenery will have him flying around, making smart plays and you'll think you found yourself a shutdown monster. Then, eventually, he'll creep back to his often brain dead form that'll leave you screaming at your television.

Depends what those draft picks turn into, but right now it looks like Yzerman goofed up to be honest.

This happens a lot with players that get traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad