Confirmed with Link: [PHI/TBL] Radko Gudas, 1st, 3rd rounder for Braydon Coburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
He obviously doesn't understand the concept of supply and demand. When that demand is high the price is high. The deadline isn't a pretty sight. If you want to win in the playoffs and have needs to fill your going to pay a price.

I went back and looked at "Value of: Brayden Coburn" threads and most of the flyer fans say he had a price of a 11-24 first rounder and a prospect. We made the deal at the deadline when prices are highest.

Its very hard to say we got fleeced when we came out with filling the team need of a top 4 dman and didn't have to give up any real worthy prospects to get him. I love Gudas but you just don't know what kind of player he will be when he gets back from his injury.

I agree, I also don't Think people like that really look at what each team needs but just over all, like what was paid for guys like Yandle but forget that Coburn is the type of player that we need, I mean sure we could have gone out and paid what the rangers did for Yandle but we have no need for Another offensive defensman on this team, what we needed was someone who can focus on defense (while still playing a bit of offense, we're not going to be upset over any Points he will get here).

Now I get why people keep saying that we were the losers because they forget that SFY made most of his big moves in the summer (getting Boyle, Stralman, Garrison, Morrow) and the development of our young guys and been better then what I think anyone thought so SY didn't have to go out and to try fill and major hole and could just focus on the small one we really had and were able to do so even if it cost a bit. No, I think Yzerman did a good job not getting carried away at the TDL and just focused on what was needed, that's what good GM's does.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also, while if I were a Rangers fan I'd be a little nervous - you gotta admit they're on the short list of favorites to get out of the East now. I mean, they kind of already were before, but evidently they identified a need and addressed it.

They're all in for this season at the cost of the future. It's not the route I would like to take - I like the idea of more sustained success a la Detroit - but I don't think it's a wrong move at all. It's a ballsy one though, and if they don't get a Cup out of it I think they're really going to regret it.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
And an injured Gudas does right? :laugh:

No, but trading away a solid D man who has been solid for us aside from injuries doesn't help the future. I understand it's meant to try and win now. There are some D men that we could trade for, and making a lop sided trade to win now might make sense. I just don't feel like this is it.

As opposed to not having Gudas in the lineup for the rest of the season? :huh:

Like I said to Sky. It wasn't meant to say Gudas does. I just think giving up a solid young D-man and overpaying, in my opinion, for a guy I'm not sure will take us there is crappy.

You should follow the Devils. Scott Gomez = Loyalty.

The Devils are a great example of a loyal team though. Even when players leave, they often end up back there. But players don't leave as often. Players stay in NJ a long time when homegrown. I like Lou, think he's a great GM.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
[nhl]768685[/nhl]

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=756323
Coburn said he’s very familiar with Garrison from their time together on Team Canada during last year’s IIHF World Championships in Belarus, though the two didn’t partner together. Coburn skated with Tyler Myers. Garrison was with his former Vancouver teammate Kevin Bieksa.
“(Garrison’s) a great player,” Coburn said. “He can shoot the puck. He’s real steady. I can already tell he talks a lot out there, so that’ll make my job a lot easier.”
“I don’t know, maybe it’s fate,” Coburn said when asked if he requested a locker next to Carle. “We used to sit by each other on the plane in Philly. Maybe he requested my presence or something, I don’t know.”

Carle, who has been traded twice in his career, was one of the first members of the Lightning to reach out to Coburn after Monday’s trade, partly because of his friendship with Coburn and partly because of his understanding what it’s like to be shipped to a new team.

“When you’ve been through a couple trades, it’s tough,” Carle said. “Your life really just gets flipped upside down and as a guy who’s familiar, he’s familiar with me I guess, I just wanted to kind of be a helping hand and let him know that anything he needed while he’s down here, I’ll be here for him.”

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I just got done scouting Coburn. Oh boy, yeah Yzerman nailed it. Couldn't get enough of a player boxing out the crease and not getting overpowered - literally watching players not being able to cross in front of the net. Clearing the crease with effective aggressiveness. He is not Hedman in terms of skating/fast...but close. I'd say Hedman is a bit more agile...while Coburn really does have great straightline/recovery speed. He really can move/skate and does not get beat to the inside/outside. Just funnels everything to the outside and has the agility/speed/strength to just nail forwards to the wall.

i particularly liked him swallowing forwards along the boards and taking the body on the blue line. I imagine this is what a faster/bigger Brewer would have looked like circa 2002 - 2007 (with the Oilers/Blues).

The Lightning play more structured in the defensive zone than Philly (I know right? ...hard to imagine) and that should help a lot with a player like Coburn who does his job well if he doesn't try to overreach. It should also help against some of the bigger teams that we've had problems with - Capitals/Bruins/Panthers. I imagine the speed of our forwards should also help him as he gets the puck off his stick fast. Didn't really see him carry it a whole lot...just gets off the first pass quick - too bad the slower Flyers can't transition well except for one line.

Overall I'm very happy with what I saw. Hope he translates it fast to the new Tampa system. He should be excellent to watch as a second pairing...I think he'll be rock solid there.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Not much to write home about, but at least they are familiar with each other:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Devils are a great example of a loyal team though. Even when players leave, they often end up back there. But players don't leave as often. Players stay in NJ a long time when homegrown. I like Lou, think he's a great GM.

I just wanted to address this.

It's always sad to see a guy who's grown up through the system, like Gudas, go. A player we've all followed with a watchful eye from the moment he was drafted, to his time in the AHL, to him becoming a solid NHL player. I personally feel much more of an attachment to those players you home grow than older players you bring in through free agency. They feel like our players because they've only ever put on one jersey. But that's why I'd probably make a bad GM. I'm a fan, and I see it differently at times from Yzerman who looks at it as a GM. Yzerman first and foremost has to have winning and success as the top priority. He'd be doing all of us fans, the other 20 guys on the team, and everyone else in the world who care about this franchise a disservice if there was a move to make us better, a move to get us closer to a cup, and he didn't do it. He's got to do what's in the best interest for the team. That's where his true loyalty has to lie.

You hear players say it all the time: it's a business. And they use that too. You'd like to see Brewer show us some "loyalty" and not ask for a trade off the team and hurt our D depth. You'd like to see ______ take a hometown discount and take less money. You'd like to see ______ put our franchise above another on their list in free agency for the relationship we've had in the past. You'd like for Paul Ranger to allow Yzerman to get assets for him, instead of waiting for his rights to expire here. You'd like to see Mattias Ritola accept a demotion to the AHL when he played awful, but still had Yzerman to thank for saving is career. Etc.... so players aren't always using the loyal card either, (cough cough Marty) but it's well within their rights to do what they choose or see best for themselves and their families.

That's not to say Yzerman hasn't shown any loyalty. He's brought back past players, kept players who would otherwise be out of the NHL, he's as classy as they come, he treats players with the utmost respect, and he's always accommodating to their wishes. I could give plenty of examples here. And if you really want to see more players return, look no further to what Jay Feaster is doing with our alumni.

I don't think we'll have any worries though about our core pieces. I feel those top guys will be here for a while.

I live in NY trust me people here are more angry and are fickle bandwagon jumpers. Living up here in the ****** weather makes a lot more people *******s. What i would give to live in the sunshine state.
Absolutely. I live in the tri-state area so I see daily the love/hate relationship between New Yorkers and their sports teams. It's comical and sometimes just sad.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I really like that Yzerman isn't afraid to trade "fan favorites" and "character guys" in order to give this team the best chance to win hockey games. Looking back: Downie, Conacher, (Marty) and now Gudas... So far it's always worked out, this team is on pace to finish with 105 points which would be a new franchise record. No team has scored more goals (total as well as per game), goaltending is solid enough and we've improved our weakest position by adding a proven top-4 defender who fills the gap at RD, veteranship and defensive prowess. In all objectivity we're a better team now. And that team was pretty good already. Get the PP back on track and the Lightning are a legit contender.

Of course it hurts dem feels at first but the numbers speak for themselves and most of our key players have a lot of good years left in them. We're only getting started... #dynasty?

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Are we really complaining because Gudas was traded for a much much much better version?

I love Gudas as much as the next guy but I take Coburn over Gudas 150 times out of 100.

Then again, I'm a fan of the crest on the front, not the names on the back. And that's where the disconnect is here.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I live in NY trust me people here are more angry and are fickle bandwagon jumpers. Living up here in the ****** weather makes a lot more people *******s. What i would give to live in the sunshine state.

This. Spare me the northerners are more diehard bull. People avoided the Bruins and Blackhawks in droves when they sucked. Rags fans hate on Marty already after he was their hero a few months ago. Fairweathers gonna fairweather.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
This. Spare me the northerners are more diehard bull. People avoided the Bruins and Blackhawks in droves when they sucked. Rags fans hate on Marty already after he was their hero a few months ago. Fairweathers gonna fairweather.

Lived in Brooklyn in 2011 and 2012, and never saw much Ranger gear on people, and never heard much conversation about them, just saying.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Are we really complaining because Gudas was traded for a much much much better version?

I love Gudas as much as the next guy but I take Coburn over Gudas 150 times out of 100.

Then again, I'm a fan of the crest on the front, not the names on the back. And that's where the disconnect is here.

IN ALL FAIRNESS me and you grew up with detroit. We had guys we loved and got traded rookies vets etc.. yet four cups 22 str8 playoffs get you past things:)

We get what is going on and know not EVERY trade is going to work but we are in good hands bowman for detroit steve for bolts and think they still talk myself:)

Me and you know the end result is worth it all so I get the fans here and why they get upset at times.

I dont blame them now if hose which I doubt bolted so to speak I am surprised myself and dont believe it. PHYS GRAF has been this way since vinny buy out and any time can come and chime in and complain about something he will do it which is taking it too far but am sure we had people like that back in day on some media source lol.

Here is the thing we are in good hands stevie was RAISED by the argue wise best minds in hockey and he knows what it takes and I have warned everyone we will move people we are not GOING TO BE HAPPY about.

So far steve is batting like 98% that is a lot better then detroit did honestly so am saying he either is very good very lucky or extremely lucky so far to our benefit.

We will lose some moves though a guy will get injured or just not work out somehow and we will lose something we really like and hate it is nature of the beast but overall I give steve an A for what he has done since being here and not sure how he could have done much more so far:)

It took detroit about 8 years to put it all together steve did it and changed over culture and team in 4 shoot hes done it like twice going to worst to playoff contender lol is just crazy.

That really cant be luck we are in good hands and he always looks at all avenues and truly has a great mind. I love it and expect runs like 20 years like detroit had and I WONT COMPLAIN!!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
16:29 in ice time, 3 hits, 1 fight, 2 blocked shots, and 1 take away in his lightning debut

Saw some things I liked, saw a couple of things I didn't like. He makes some odd plays at the offensive blueline honestly that I didn't like - maybe that's the play Philly encourages, but I just flat out don't like it - low percentage and leaves the ice open.

Still, he's got speed, surprising physicality from what I've been told, and is good in the Dzone. Clearly a top 4 guy.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Saw some things I liked, saw a couple of things I didn't like. He makes some odd plays at the offensive blueline honestly that I didn't like - maybe that's the play Philly encourages, but I just flat out don't like it - low percentage and leaves the ice open.

Still, he's got speed, surprising physicality from what I've been told, and is good in the Dzone. Clearly a top 4 guy.

thats his gaffe or weakness is those decisions in o zone smdh but the rest is pretty solid:)

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Thoughts. I'm sad to see we traded a 1st, as there are an unusual number of great young players available late 1st this year. Gudas may or may not ever be 100% again, and small physical guys tend to have short careers anyway. Witkowski or Dotchin can spell Gudas next year, and in a bigger body. The Bolts always seem to do their homework, so I'm sure the overall trade value was good. Since Coburn has a year left on his contract, if he doesn't want to resign with us for some reason, we can always flip him for a 1st next year making the trade look a lot better. I expect him to be a Bolt for 4-5 years though. Hopefully he is mature enough to realize, at his age, he probably only has 4-5 shots left at immortalizing his name on the cup and will focus for us in the playoffs.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
So about the trade...

I'll miss Gudas, but he never should have been used as higher than a 5/6 guy. That he could sometimes pull it off is a great credit to him, but it's far from ideal from a team standpoint.

OTOH I hope I'm a bit more impressed by Coburn going forward. Not going to judge the guy off of one game, but he didn't look that great to me. Fast as advertised though. Hopefully once he gets into the groove with new mates and new system he'll look a bit smoother and more comfortable.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
I hope I'm a bit more impressed by Coburn going forward. Not going to judge the guy off of one game, but he didn't look that great to me. Fast as advertised though. Hopefully once he gets into the groove with new mates and new system he'll look a bit smoother and more comfortable.

He looks just as he has everytime I've seen him in Philly. I understand the optimism but he's just not very good. Would be suprised if he's not the whipping boy of this board in a month. The board doesn't seem to have one at the moment with Conno being shipped out and Stammer playing better.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
This place got really derailed by stuff that had nothing to do with this thread. Let's try this one last time.

If you have any questions or concerns, like always send me a pm.

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Just remembered we could have signed Mark Fayne last off season for a million less than Coburn makes, plus not having to give up Gudas or the picks. Edmonton fans complain about everything except Fayne so he must be doing ok. /grumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad