Confirmed with Link: [PHI/TBL] Radko Gudas, 1st, 3rd rounder for Braydon Coburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Just remembered we could have signed Mark Fayne last off season for a million less than Coburn makes, plus not having to give up Gudas or the picks. Edmonton fans complain about everything except Fayne so he must be doing ok. /grumble.

Fayne isn't half the dman that Coburn is.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Fayne isn't half the dman that Coburn is.

Not going to make that statement - I'm a big Fayne fan and think he's really underrated, but the money was probably too tight to sign Fayne, Stralman, and Boyle, as well as re-sign Cally.

Remember, we still had Brewer's 3.8 million on the books - shipping that off gave us a ton more flexibility on the blueline. Not to mention Gudas' salary on it's own.

Edit: And of course Connolly's salary - basically those three moves (we retained some of Brewer I think) pretty much opened the exact amount of cap space we needed for Coburn.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I really loved tonights game but I get the little things.

Sustr played like crap and made some mistakes.

BUT WHAT DID I SEE SUSTR TAKING A GUY OUT AT THE BOARDS LMAO AWESOME

To see stralman coburn and nesterov using the body and watch a guy who never uses a body add that element?

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED FOLKS So whipping boy? Only for those those who really dont get playoff hockey.

We are already a different team mentally over the next 30 some days we will all see it.

If he becomes a whipping boy we have issues.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
I think Coburn has been great :dunno:

Dont know what you all are expecting from him, but he does exactly what we need from him, and he does it good. He was brought in to be a physical-style defender that can log us big minutes on PK and tough minutes in ES, the so called 0-0 player.
I don't expect him to score more than 5 pts, if even that, in the last 18 games we have. And that's the whole point of him as a defender.

He's really bad offensively, and goofs 9.9/10 times when asked to do something creative or create any offense outside of 1st pass-transition. But we don't need him to create offense. We need him to be a defensive stalwart, which he imho is.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
Flyers fan here:

Absolutely love Gudas, he is basically getting 20 mins+ a night and is on our top line. You guys were spot on with saying he will be loved in philly. He was a born flyer!

Lovethiscity

Nov 9, 2014
Tampa, FL
Flyers fan here:

Absolutely love Gudas, he is basically getting 20 mins+ a night and is on our top line. You guys were spot on with saying he will be loved in philly. He was a born flyer!

I miss him. I can't help but think they dumped him because of his injury at the time and Tampa Bay was looking to optimize their playoff run. the future is now type of thing

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I still think it was a good trade for us, considering the timing, but man, I having that guy on the team. Made the games enjoyable. When healthy, he was an explosion waiting to happen.

I wish him luck.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I miss him and his glorious beard and hits, showed offensive flair every blue moon too which was nice

Like many of our players, healthy Gudas was night and day from banged up Gudas. When he was healthy, and could keep up with the game, I think he was a borderline Top 4 guy. So I can picture him getting a little better as time goes on. He was still pretty inexperienced, by D standards.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Flyers fan here:

Just hope he doesn't get banged up, he's slow enough but any nagging injury to his lower body is completely detrimental to his game.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Would take Gudas over Coburn but i understand why Yzerman made the trade. Maybe Coburn is also more reliable defensively since he isnt so aggressive.

Houdas

Mining the Lightning
Aug 17, 2014
Prague/Ostrava
Just hope he doesn't get banged up, he's slow enough but any nagging injury to his lower body is completely detrimental to his game.

He knows that. During summer he was training in Czech Republic and concentrating on his speed. He told the media he saw he has a lot of mistakes in skating technique and that he's working on making it better.

Also, I miss him so freakin' much. There is not a lot of czech players that are used often nowadays. Or tough czech players. Or czech defensemen. **** drafts.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Miss Gudas and wish him luck. Type of player with heart that protects his teammates that our team sorely lacks. With that said...I'd do that trade again. Coburn has been great and what we need him to be...a big, mobile defenseman and a defensive steward that can go against other teams big forwards and move bodies in front of crease and win battles in the corners. I think Coburn is great at exactly what we need him to do.

I've never been on record as saying Gudas is slow. Thought he was faster than Carle for example and has a better shot than Sustr. Philly doesn't play the speed game...so its probably a better fit. I bet both organizations are satisfied with the trade...miss them Gudas hits though. Worth the price of admission.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Gudas being on the top pair says more about the Flyers defensive depth than anything else IMO, but still good for him! He is definitely more their style and I'm glad the fans are liking him. I think he'd settle into the second pair ideally, though.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014

My thinking at the time was that he would be done with that knee injury, which is why I was fine with the trade. He had only played like 25 healthy games for us anyways, so I thought the knee injury was the end. Happy to hear he is healthy again. I loved his play, but speed and injuries scared me.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I miss him, but I watched part of the Philly game last night and he is so suited to the way they play. It's painful to watch them try to complete passes, but they just knock the hell out of the other team and the beard is good for that.

GhostIsBae

Ghost Whisperer
Jul 18, 2014
He seems to be very controlled and punishes the opponents. Feel like it's throwing the other team off having to watch for him on the ice all the time. We were really lacking that physicality on our blueline after pronger went down. This trade was good for both teams.

Edit: I would add though that he still gets out of position if he gets set on hitting someone and can put us in a bad position, but I'll take the effort!

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He seems to be very controlled and punishes the opponents. Feel like it's throwing the other team off having to watch for him on the ice all the time. We were really lacking that physicality on our blueline after pronger went down. This trade was good for both teams.

Oh yeah. That's a real thing. Teams play differently when Gudas is on the ice. You have to know where he is at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad