Confirmed with Link: [PHI/TBL] Radko Gudas, 1st, 3rd rounder for Braydon Coburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
I miss Gudas also. But knee microfracture surgery during the middle of the season tells the story of not expecting a long career.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Gudas always had decent straight line speed but no agility. If someone is coming down the wing with speed, Gudas might as well just skate to the bench because he doesn't have the lateral skating ability to defend that. Besides that, I liked him.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
He's being paired with Michael Del Zotto on Philly's top pairing, which says more about the lack of depth on Philly's D than Radko. That said, he's been better than advertised and fits very well into Hakstol's system. He skates much better than we expected and does everything hard. Hits hard, defends hard, skates hard, shoots hard, and plays the puck hard. Coburn's a much better player, but that's one advantage Gudas has over him - he's aggressive and decisive, whereas Coburn sometimes struggled with that. I'd love for him to be be a 2nd/3rd paring guy in Philly for the next 5+ years after all our D prospects are up. Could even see him sporting an A on his sweater at some point.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He's being paired with Michael Del Zotto on Philly's top pairing, which says more about the lack of depth on Philly's D than Radko. That said, he's been better than advertised and fits very well into Hakstol's system. He skates much better than we expected and does everything hard. Hits hard, defends hard, skates hard, shoots hard, and plays the puck hard. Coburn's a much better player, but that's one advantage Gudas has over him - he's aggressive and decisive, whereas Coburn sometimes struggled with that. I'd love for him to be be a 2nd/3rd paring guy in Philly for the next 5+ years after all our D prospects are up. Could even see him sporting an A on his sweater at some point.

Agreed, Gudas sometimes gets burned on his decisions but at least he makes fast and decisive ones, Coburn like Stralman right now is taking way too long to decide what he wants to do with the puck.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Agreed, Gudas sometimes gets burned on his decisions but at least he makes fast and decisive ones, Coburn like Stralman right now is taking way too long to decide what he wants to do with the puck.

It's an ongoing struggle with Coburn and part of the reason some Flyers fans hated him and wrongly undervalued him. When Coburn makes a mistake it's usually a bad decision with the puck on his stick in his own end and it just looks ugly. When Gudas makes a mistake, it's getting out of position to make a big splashy hit. That plays better and is more easily forgiven with some fans, but Gudas can't do all of the things Coburn can do. Malkin, just to pick out a name, can get around Gudas; he can't get around Coburn. Some Philly fans could never see that.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/3/31/11331642/gudas-actually-good-flyers-playoffs-analysis

With the season almost over, that article has some good advanced stats and comparison for him. What do you guys still think about the trade?

??? we moved him was injured doubtful of coming back within playoffs

coburn with us we make stanley cup championship?

is there even a serious question?

on how we like coburn overall thats a question but this the trade worked out we got to play chicago for the cup i think close to any price a lot higher price would be accepted for where it got us

coburn overall is ok just ok nothing bad nothing real mind blowing staggering this was a two deal thing we also moved brett connolly as part of the overall picture and added some picks will take years to know how it all worked out who won lost etc..

coburn has helped nesterov and sustr in ways imho but he isnt the greatest defenseman ever

is a lot of us honestly miss gudas for the beard and the hits

think this is win win for both teams

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I'd love to have him back, but I think we don't get as far as we did last year without Coburn. If we don't get as far as the SCF, there would still be a black cloud hanging over the organization.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
both deals had to be done per stevie to do the braydon trade

we gave philly our first rounder and a third rounder philly gave the 2015 first rounder to columbus I do not know why?

they drafted if am correct matej tomak as a goalie in third round not sure why philly traded that first rounder what they got for that?

we picked up defenseman matt spencer with 44th pick that got from boston and we have a second rounder this year from boston also

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=161694

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't think that article is knocking Coburn or the trade, in fact it only mentions him once at the end, and that's only to cite the trade. So I don't get the defensiveness? I kind of agree with its conclusions. I saw some hints of the same things in Gudas when he was here. He is not just some cookie cutter defense only guy, in fact he struggles in his own zone more than you'd expect and does a lot better outside it. Good job by Philly extracting value from him. I think we've done well for ourselves as well. Coburn has been solid and we'd be even worse off depth wise without him considering the Stralman injury right now. And again he scored a series winner in that hairy first round, so maybe we never even make a deep run last year without that.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
It was a fair trade, I think both teams did well. I like Gudas and his toughness but i don't miss his bad penalties. Plus, I don't know how he's doing now, but he often made mistakes in our own end.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I don't think that article is knocking Coburn or the trade, in fact it only mentions him once at the end, and that's only to cite the trade. So I don't get the defensiveness? I kind of agree with its conclusions. I saw some hints of the same things in Gudas when he was here. He is not just some cookie cutter defense only guy, in fact he struggles in his own zone more than you'd expect and does a lot better outside it. Good job by Philly extracting value from him. I think we've done well for ourselves as well. Coburn has been solid and we'd be even worse off depth wise without him considering the Stralman injury right now. And again he scored a series winner in that hairy first round, so maybe we never even make a deep run last year without that.

i didnt care much on the article we knew gudas had talent but was question of when return and if returns how is leg moving forward etc..

also if look at who he played with after rookie season that will probably explain some numbers

i get his having an offensive surge but I always thought he had that in him and might break out at any time

gudas even in the supposable down years for us did very well imho

i hated moving him but knew coburn and the last thing is simple

do nesterov and sustr improve this much with gudas rather than coburn?

i really have to question that sustr is night and day and I give a lot of that coming from coburns talks work with him and garrisions etc..

glad for philly they got a player playing well for them again a win win is no downside for us hope gudas always plays well cause I like him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad