Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Nolan Patrick Accepts QO from Flyers (1 year, $874,125)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
I really wish we could turn back time and the Flyers could acquire a bruising linemate to cover Patrick's back when he's on the ice. When he returns you all know he'll have an X on his back and the goonish players from other teams will put him in their crosshairs and try to hurt him again. I know some will say that the game is not played like way anymore, but players like Tom Wilson and that scumbag Marchand are known to be cheapshots.

If we were turning back time, I would just draft Heiskanen, Pettersson, or Makar.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Some big lug whose mere precense would say to Nolan: "I got you, babe."

The Flyers got players like Schultz-Kelly-Saleski-DuPont to watch out for Bobby Clarke didn't they? Clarke won't admit to that because he could take care of himself, in fact he also had a pretty dirty side to his style of play. Star players should have on-ice protection. Gretzky had Dave Semenko, remember Dave "cement-head" Semenko? he wasn't known for his finesse, but the hockey historians like to recall how "cleanly" those Oilers played the game.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
No, like the vastly greater number of high draft picks who didn't go on to stardom after producing poorly for two seasons. I'm not saying he's a bust, but comparing him to a small handful of highly drafted forwards who succeeded spectacularly after two poor seasons to begin their careers makes no sense.
What are you even talking about. Most players don't enter the NHL in their first season. Infact, most NHL players take considerably longer to play consistently in the NHL. Patrick spent his development time in the biggest league in the world.

You are basically stating that anyone who played in the AHL is a bust....

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Oh, but I thought he was out from a concussion, that is what I read when he first went out.
He’s had 3 head injuries since he’s started. One from a Gabriel hit, another from a Chris Wagner hit, and another from a slap shot. Those injuries didn’t keep him out that long. They have no bearing on his migraines. His migraines are from a life long condition that he’s had. The condition came back over the past couple years and has kept him out. It can subside and he will be okay to play, but when they spike it’s debilitating and he can’t play.

Reactions: Oddbob

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Not that I’m really crying over anyone who makes over $500k a year in this economy, but I do feel for Patrick. To be taken that high and clearly have the ability to not be a bust, but only get to play 2/3 years of your ELC due to these head injuries/migraines and not even have a chance to earn a raise on your second deal must be frustrating. Again, it’s still good money for the average person, but athlete’s prime earning years are much shorter and his are in doubt entirely at such a young age. I really hope he gets a chance to get healthy and show the league what he can do, even as a fan of a bitter rival.

Evergreen

I really wish we could turn back time and the Flyers could acquire a bruising linemate to cover Patrick's back when he's on the ice. When he returns you all know he'll have an X on his back and the goonish players from other teams will put him in their crosshairs and try to hurt him again. I know some will say that the game is not played that way anymore, but players like Tom Wilson and that scumbag Marchand are known to be cheapshots.
He's suffering from a migraine disorder he's had since childhood. He isn't suffering from post-concussion syndrome and his injury wasn't the result of anything that happened during a game. I'm not saying that having some muscle on his line wouldn't be a good thing, but I don't think his migraine disorder makes him any more susceptible to head injuries than any other player.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not that I’m really crying over anyone who makes over $500k a year in this economy, but I do feel for Patrick. To be taken that high and clearly have the ability to not be a bust, but only get to play 2/3 years of your ELC due to these head injuries/migraines and not even have a chance to earn a raise on your second deal must be frustrating. Again, it’s still good money for the average person, but athlete’s prime earning years are much shorter and his are in doubt entirely at such a young age. I really hope he gets a chance to get healthy and show the league what he can do, even as a fan of a bitter rival.

Add to that all the sports hernia bs he has had to deal with. He has missed so much offseason training time.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I don't get it... he still produced 30 pts last season

why would he accept only a QO?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Because he was not an rfa, and not eligible to go arbitration. It was pretty much sign the deal or stay home.

what? how was he not a RFA but accepted a qualifying offer then??

I think you got something mixed up. He hasn't been in the league long enough... he was an RFA

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This is a trap signing for the Flyers.

They get him on the cheap for a year. He'll be motivated to earn a bigger, longer-term deal so he'll play most of the year and have a decent season.

The Flyers will be fooled into giving him more money and term and then he'll revert back to being an unreliable band-aid boy.

Best thing the Flyers could do is hope he is playing well by the trade deadline then sell him ASAP.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

They get him on the cheap for a year. He'll be motivated to earn a bigger, longer-term deal so he'll play most of the year and have a decent season.

The Flyers will be fooled into giving him more money and term and then he'll revert back to being an unreliable band-aid boy.

Best thing the Flyers could do is hope he is playing well by the trade deadline then sell him ASAP.

Or he plays well and gets a new contract based on his performance and stays healthy and improves. It's not a given that his migraines end his career.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

No, this is literally all the Flyers and Patrick could do. The Flyers aren't not going to sign their 2nd overall pick. He still has the upside of becoming a good 2nd line center. Patrick can't ask for more money because he just doesn't hold that value.

Yeah that is the point. Patrick being motivated to produce better is what all parties hope for. Patrick, because it'll help him solidify his future. The Flyers, because he'll help them solidify the center position and chase after that elusive Stanley Cup.

Or he'll show his worth, the Flyers will sign him for more money, and he'll turn into the 2nd line center he's projected to be. His injuries aren't really all that connected. All we really hope for is that he doesn't get more concussions, that a freak injury doesn't happen, and that his migraines have been suppressed.

Even if he plays well, Flyers aren't selling and nobody else is buying this season. 1/2 a season isn't enough to raise his value to the point of the Flyers getting decent value in return.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

I think you got something mixed up. He hasn't been in the league long enough... he was an RFA

CBA 10.2 (c) said:
Players With Fewer Than Three Years of Professional Experience.

Any Player with fewer than the required years of professional experience set forth in Section 10.2 shall have no right to Free Agency except as provided in this section. Upon expiration of such a Player's SPC, the Club to whom the Player was last under SPC shall be entitled to make that Player a Qualifying Offer under the terms and conditions set forth in Section 10.2(a)(ii) above. A Club which makes this Qualifying Offer will have the exclusive right to negotiate with any such Player. In the event no such Qualifying Offer is made, the Player shall immediately become an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Section 10.2(a)(iv) above.

He missed out season 2019-20 completely and didn't get a professional year from that season and thusly doesn't have enough pro seasons to qualify as RFA.

Flyers still needed to give him QO to retain his rights.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
He missed out season 2019-20 completely and didn't get a professional year from that season and thusly doesn't have enough pro seasons to qualify as RFA.

Flyers still needed to give him QO to retain his rights.

ok ... usually rare to see this happen

I didn't know he didn't play all of last season

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

NP is a injury prone head case, not many options. It’s a good prove it low cost contract for the Flyers. Well worth the risk.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
ok ... usually rare to see this happen

It usually happens when a 20+ y.o. prospect signs his ELC in the spring and they let him immediately burn a year off his ELC by playing a couple of games (less than ten).

In the CBA the required length of ELC and years needed for qualifying for RFA status correspond to each other perfectly, but they are set in different paragraphs of the CBA. So, when a guy burns the first year of his ELC off by playing only a couple of games, he doesn't get a pro year out of it (10 games needed) and he falls into this trap where his team still has his exclusive negotiation rights at the end of his ELC like he was an unsigned draft choice.

Johnny Gaurdeau was a high-profile case, who reportedly wasn't too happy about it when he realized the case.

Reactions: rocketdan9

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Because he did not play a game in the NHL no team other than the flyers could offer him a deal. He had no arbi rights. Patrick was stuck. Its not complicated and not confused.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

You should feel bad about yourself for this take.

Reactions: Patagonia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad