Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Nolan Patrick Accepts QO from Flyers (1 year, $874,125)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Like the Sedins and Couturier, right. :rolleyes:
No, like the vastly greater number of high draft picks who didn't go on to stardom after producing poorly for two seasons. I'm not saying he's a bust, but comparing him to a small handful of highly drafted forwards who succeeded spectacularly after two poor seasons to begin their careers makes no sense.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Patrick staying healthy and just improving a little bit from his play in 18-19 would be huge for the Flyers. If he could give them around 20 goals/40 points playing behind Couturier and Hayes it would make them so much tougher to play against. Here's hoping.

If this happens we are in good shape. If he can push Hayes to the 3C we are contenders.

Even before the injuries, back to back 30 point seasons = bust territory

Flyers missed out on three great players in 2017:

View attachment 373187

That’s kind of whatever for me. There was no question Patrick was the pick at #2. He will still likely hit his expectation as a very good #2 C which is all the flyers need. Those next three picks were special though. I see it as good luck for those teams rather than bad luck for ours. The other PA team gets lucky with their #2 OA picks, not us.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That definitely is low. I know he didn't play last season but he still produced well enough for almost 2 million, at least.

I have some migraines in the family, it's never fun.
There was no question Patrick was the pick at #2.
Well I definitely questioned it but I guess that doesn't matter.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That definitely is low. I know he didn't play last season but he still produced well enough for almost 2 million, at least.

I have some migraines in the family, it's never fun.
Well I definitely questioned it but I guess that doesn't matter.
Realistically, it would have either been Patrick or one of the two Dmen. If you have Provorov, then probably made sense to go Makar over Heiskenen so that you have the option to pair Provorov and Makar together or separate them, like Suter/Weber, Keith/Seabrook rather than have 2 left shot guys. Then again, Ottawa went Sanderson over Drysdale when they have Chabot who is a LHD.

Only question on Patrick was his offensive ceiling. Was he a low end 1C, probably closer to Ryan Johansen (similar size) in terms of production at under a PPG, but a good 2 way game.

Again, if he was born a few days earlier, he goes in the 2016 draft, at either 4 or 5 to Edm or Van. More likely to Van simply because Edm had C, thus they would be pushing him to RW, so might as well just take the natural RW in Puju unless the plan is to trade Patrick, but if he's playing wing in the NHL, you're not going to get the return like you would if he played C at the NHL.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
why just one year?
(I don't know if and how the parties have commented on the situation; the following is based solely on the CBA.)

To retain his exclusive negotiation rights, Flyers gave Nolan Patrick a Qualifying Offer, that is to say an offer for one year contract with a minimum salary determined from his previous year's salary. And Patrick took it.

Having missed a full season, Patrick didn't have the needed years of professional experience to qualify as RFA, so no other team could have offer sheeted him. If he didn't get a SPC now, Flyers would have held his rights until 27 without obligation to make him another contract offer. It's not much of a position to negotiate from, especially with his health concerns. If he plays 10 NHL/AHL games in the next season, then he will qualify as a RFA and it will be a slightly different situation the next time around.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Patrick also has 9 games left until he’s no longer waiver eligible as well. So Patrick could play 8 games and say Fletcher doesn’t think he’s up to par he could be send down in order to reestablish his game and get into better game shape with more confidence and playing time.

If there is an AHL season Patrick would still be able to get sent to the minors without passing through waivers.

The AHL could be an option to ease Patrick back into game shape once he is ready to return it would be kinda as if he were on a conditioning assignment except without the conditioning assignment rules.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Hope he recovers, be patient with Patrick I like the idea of him starting the season in the AHL to get his confidence back then if he’s crushing it to bring him back to the Flyers.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Unfortunately his future sounds bleak, but hope he can recover from the injuries. This is a tough spot for both team and player regarding a contract spot though if he can't play.

Any Flyers fans that have any real indication where he is at with his concussion issues? The last I read about him, it was sounding like it might be career ending.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Unfortunately his future sounds bleak, but hope he can recover from the injuries. This is a tough spot for both team and player regarding a contract spot though if he can't play.

Any Flyers fans that have any real indication where he is at with his concussion issues? The last I read about him, it was sounding like it might be career ending.

He has chronic migraines. This is the condition that’s kept him out of hockey for the past year+.

Reactions: Oddbob

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

He has been playing in pick up games in Ryan Whites league this offseason. Him being on the ice is a good sign.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He has chronic migraines. This is the condition that’s kept him out of hockey for the past year+.

Yeah, that doesn't sound great at this point. I know Johan Franzen even now many years since he retired gets dizzy still any time he bends over to pick his kids up, plus last I read he still gets headaches from it as well. Who really knows, but maybe best from a health perspective to retire, as he likely can't handle another one. Hope he can get past it though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, that doesn't sound great at this point. I know Johan Franzen even now many years since he retired gets dizzy still any time he bends over to pick his kids up, plus last I read he still gets headaches from it as well. Who really knows, but maybe best from a health perspective to retire, as he likely can't handle another one. Hope he can get past it though.
You are misunderstanding.

The migraines are not from a concussion. He has gotten them his whole life. He had them when he was a kid, and they went away. Now they came back.

But it's a good sign that he is skating/scrimmaging with other NHL/former WHL players.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You are misunderstanding.

The migraines are not from a concussion. He has gotten them his whole life. He had them when he was a kid, and they went away. Now they came back.

But it's a good sign that he is skating/scrimmaging with other NHL/former WHL players.

Oh, but I thought he was out from a concussion, that is what I read when he first went out.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Sounds like he’s suffering from what Stephen Johns has been dealing with off-and-on for two years. Hope he can recover and have a long NHL career. Otherwise, I hope he makes wise decisions and doesn’t jeopardize his long-term health. All the best to him.

Reactions: Tripod

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not surprising given his health issues. Hope for the kid his health issues are in the past.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I really wish we could turn back time and the Flyers could acquire a bruising linemate to cover Patrick's back when he's on the ice. When he returns you all know he'll have an X on his back and the goonish players from other teams will put him in their crosshairs and try to hurt him again. I know some will say that the game is not played that way anymore, but players like Tom Wilson and that scumbag Marchand are known to be cheapshots.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
No, like the vastly greater number of high draft picks who didn't go on to stardom after producing poorly for two seasons. I'm not saying he's a bust, but comparing him to a small handful of highly drafted forwards who succeeded spectacularly after two poor seasons to begin their careers makes no sense.
Calling a player "bust territory" after their 19/20 year old season is ridiculous, especially for a player who was playing injured the whole time.

Is it likely he ends up the star player he was originally projected? No.

Could very easily be a second line C though

Reactions: Dooble08
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->