Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Nolan Patrick Accepts QO from Flyers (1 year, $874,125)

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by Adam Michaels, Oct 16, 2020.

1. lakai17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    why just one year?

2. dilbert719 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If you were Patrick, would you want to lock your earning power in for any longer than necessary when it’s at its lowest ebb?

BatVader and Flyer lurker like this.
  3. Curufinwe Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Like the Sedins and Couturier, right. :rolleyes:

flyersNducks and BernieParent like this.
  4. bandwagonesque and if you tell my **** my achy, breaky ****

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No, like the vastly greater number of high draft picks who didn't go on to stardom after producing poorly for two seasons. I'm not saying he's a bust, but comparing him to a small handful of highly drafted forwards who succeeded spectacularly after two poor seasons to begin their careers makes no sense.

5. hmc1987 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He's gonna score about 40 points this upcoming season with ~10 on PP2. He'll make a strong 3c and will make transition into 2C within 3 seasons where Hayes will go

flyersNducks likes this.
  6. TheKingPin Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If this happens we are in good shape. If he can push Hayes to the 3C we are contenders.

That’s kind of whatever for me. There was no question Patrick was the pick at #2. He will still likely hit his expectation as a very good #2 C which is all the flyers need. Those next three picks were special though. I see it as good luck for those teams rather than bad luck for ours. The other PA team gets lucky with their #2 OA picks, not us.

7. ijuka Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That definitely is low. I know he didn't play last season but he still produced well enough for almost 2 million, at least.

I have some migraines in the family, it's never fun.
    Well I definitely questioned it but I guess that doesn't matter.

8. KT7 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Hoping he gets on track with some health luck and gets on with it. Good player with really unfortunate luck.

Flyer lurker likes this.
  9. Accelleratii Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Gotta figure he's gonna play next season if he's signing a one year pact.

10. Hideo Kojima COVID CUP CHAMPIONS!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Really hope he can get things in order. Absolutely loved him.

Devonator and BernieParent like this.
  11. StreetHawk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Realistically, it would have either been Patrick or one of the two Dmen. If you have Provorov, then probably made sense to go Makar over Heiskenen so that you have the option to pair Provorov and Makar together or separate them, like Suter/Weber, Keith/Seabrook rather than have 2 left shot guys. Then again, Ottawa went Sanderson over Drysdale when they have Chabot who is a LHD.

Only question on Patrick was his offensive ceiling. Was he a low end 1C, probably closer to Ryan Johansen (similar size) in terms of production at under a PPG, but a good 2 way game.

Again, if he was born a few days earlier, he goes in the 2016 draft, at either 4 or 5 to Edm or Van. More likely to Van simply because Edm had C, thus they would be pushing him to RW, so might as well just take the natural RW in Puju unless the plan is to trade Patrick, but if he's playing wing in the NHL, you're not going to get the return like you would if he played C at the NHL.

12. TheDogCerby Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think he's hoping he can at least

13. Lempo all Seth now Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    (I don't know if and how the parties have commented on the situation; the following is based solely on the CBA.)

To retain his exclusive negotiation rights, Flyers gave Nolan Patrick a Qualifying Offer, that is to say an offer for one year contract with a minimum salary determined from his previous year's salary. And Patrick took it.

Having missed a full season, Patrick didn't have the needed years of professional experience to qualify as RFA, so no other team could have offer sheeted him. If he didn't get a SPC now, Flyers would have held his rights until 27 without obligation to make him another contract offer. It's not much of a position to negotiate from, especially with his health concerns. If he plays 10 NHL/AHL games in the next season, then he will qualify as a RFA and it will be a slightly different situation the next time around.

14. RG3hockey God Save the Tsar!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Patrick also has 9 games left until he’s no longer waiver eligible as well. So Patrick could play 8 games and say Fletcher doesn’t think he’s up to par he could be send down in order to reestablish his game and get into better game shape with more confidence and playing time.

If there is an AHL season Patrick would still be able to get sent to the minors without passing through waivers.

The AHL could be an option to ease Patrick back into game shape once he is ready to return it would be kinda as if he were on a conditioning assignment except without the conditioning assignment rules.

15. NHL Dude 120 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Dragon Slayer
    Hope he recovers, be patient with Patrick I like the idea of him starting the season in the AHL to get his confidence back then if he’s crushing it to bring him back to the Flyers.

16. Oddbob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Unfortunately his future sounds bleak, but hope he can recover from the injuries. This is a tough spot for both team and player regarding a contract spot though if he can't play.

Any Flyers fans that have any real indication where he is at with his concussion issues? The last I read about him, it was sounding like it might be career ending.

17. wankstifier Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He has chronic migraines. This is the condition that’s kept him out of hockey for the past year+.

Oddbob likes this.
  18. Tripod Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He has been playing in pick up games in Ryan Whites league this offseason. Him being on the ice is a good sign.

Oddbob likes this.
  19. Oddbob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, that doesn't sound great at this point. I know Johan Franzen even now many years since he retired gets dizzy still any time he bends over to pick his kids up, plus last I read he still gets headaches from it as well. Who really knows, but maybe best from a health perspective to retire, as he likely can't handle another one. Hope he can get past it though.

20. Tripod Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    You are misunderstanding.

The migraines are not from a concussion. He has gotten them his whole life. He had them when he was a kid, and they went away. Now they came back.

But it's a good sign that he is skating/scrimmaging with other NHL/former WHL players.

21. Oddbob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh, but I thought he was out from a concussion, that is what I read when he first went out.

22. JesusNPucks Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sounds like he’s suffering from what Stephen Johns has been dealing with off-and-on for two years. Hope he can recover and have a long NHL career. Otherwise, I hope he makes wise decisions and doesn’t jeopardize his long-term health. All the best to him.

Tripod likes this.
  23. beowulf Not a nice guy.

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Not surprising given his health issues. Hope for the kid his health issues are in the past.