Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Nolan Patrick Accepts QO from Flyers (1 year, $874,125)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
As I said, I was abused as a kid, then I played rugby as a teen and into my A level and college. I was also a Lieutenant in the Royal Air Force during the Falklands War. I began playing ice hockey in my mid twenties (defense), and grew to love the game. I have several scars from my playing days....hockey in the U.K. is a bit tough. Not for the weak hearted for sure. The team I followed was the Philadelphia Flyers, and I still love them today.....although there are some players I don't fancy (too concerned about their poofy little dogs than leaving everything on the ice).

You should write a book, man. I'm serious. Even if you don't do anything with it, your future descendants will take great pride in hearing your stories. I appreciate you sharing the anecdotes about your personal life, was interesting for sure.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
For the longest time, he was the consensus 1st overall pick of his draft year, then last 6-12 months Hischier passed him in the rankings.
Now...no one is sure what he will ever again even be a regular NHL:er , not to mention top 6 center.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Seems fair, in that there's really not a lot to go on there. There's not much to make a case on. Might as well just take the QO and try to have a healthy year where he could potentially make a lot more on either a bridge deal...or a long-term contract that takes him to UFA.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not sure if this is backed up scientifically, but isn't quite common for people to get over their migraines?

I used to struggle quite a lot as a teenager. Did all kinds of testing. Even slept in a "lab" with all kinds of stuff connected. A friend of mine the same. I haven't had one proper in years and I believe it is the same for my friend. Same story more or less with my father.

Obviously they are not all the same, but hopefully it will get better as he gets older.

Reactions: BernieParent

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
As a Devils fan I (obviously) hoped Hischier would do better than Patrick, but what he's gone through is just so unfortunate, and now I'm full on board rooting for this guy to bounce back and do great things!
It seems like both are busts when considering who went 3,4,5. Tough to see someone with so much potential on what appears to be a “last chance” deal. Hope he Rebounds and carves out a career

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Hoping Patrick goes the route of David Perron, comes back and shows that talent he has. I recall it was a prettttty grey area if Perron would ever be able to come back, but giving that full recovery time is important. Wouldn’t be surprised if both Patrick and the team’s thoughts around this deal are that it’s a recovery season, he may/may not play, so the light money isn’t a shock.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great deal, as many have said hopefully the kid gets healthy and has a long productive career.

I think his agent should have pushed for over a million. If Middlestat got 1.4 (yes I get he was being locked up for a few years) but Patrick with his pedigree and decent production should have garnered more.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Great deal, as many have said hopefully the kid gets healthy and has a long productive career.

I think his agent should have pushed for over a million. If Middlestat got 1.4 (yes I get he was being locked up for a few years) but Patrick with his pedigree and decent production should have garnered more.

He missed a whole season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like him, he is the prototypical #2 caliber C if all things go well for him. If he can stay healthy, he and Couturier could make a very good 1-2 punch for the Flyers for the next decade.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I get it, it’s truly a show me deal but if he is 100% his value is well over that.
He had no leverage. Not eligible for Arb or an OS and just missed a whole season AND the Flyers just paid him $925,000 and got nothing in return this past year. If he has a healthy year this coming year at a lower rate than he is worth, well that is just him giving back to the Flyers for this past season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He accepted the QO, so he now has a contract. Don't remember the last time I saw a player accept a QO.

What? It literally happens like every year for multiple players.

Anyway, hopefully Nolan can get healthy and put together a decent career.

Certainly has had a real tough go through his early years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Kid was literally less than a week from being eligible for the 2016 draft. He would still be behind Mathews and Laine. CBS wanted a C so would decide between PLD and Patrick. Likely the physical tools of PLD still win out and he goes 3. Then down to Edm and Van.

Edm already have Connor, Leon and RNH at C so likely end up shifting him To RW or they take the natura RW in Puju.

If he was still there at 5 the Canucks take him over Juolevi.

not much option for Patrick but to take his QO having not played.

needs a chance to play and improve.

I think the draft analysts were probably right on him. Very low end 1C but a high end 2C who can play all situations.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Even before the injuries, back to back 30 point seasons = bust territory

Flyers missed out on three great players in 2017:

Philly.jpg

Reactions: Habano

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I also suffered from migraines as a child. I was abused as a child, and many of my earliest head injuries were sustained through that period, which were undetected since my parents never took me to the doctor for treatment.
Having intense migraines throughout my life has caused me to avoid bright lights and noise, yet living in the lifestyle I grew up in was very difficult, as my parents flat was very near the rail station and the slaughterhouse.
Even though I had a migraine issue, being bashed about didn't help the situation a tiny bit.
My time in the R.A.F. also added a bit to the injuries I sustained, yet I would do it again if I had to for my duty to my country.

For wich good did it to make your own life worse, was going in to your countrys military service?
That isnt loyalty, indoctorination.
If you had suffere3d a lot, and got 27 concussuions, you have to learn to take care of yourself, and take a bit easy. Let the body heal a bit.
Otherwise you will get serious traumatic brain injuries.
You have only one body.
Why do we encourage to not stop and heal important orangs, and instead just ignore and try to shut up our bodys serious signals.
Signals from our body is not for ignorence. The body wants to tell something to you,

Reactions: Limeyjim

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
For wich good did it to make your own life worse, was going in to your countrys military service?
That isnt loyalty, indoctorination.
If you had suffere3d a lot, and got 27 concussuions, you have to learn to take care of yourself, and take a bit easy. Let the body heal a bit.
Otherwise you will get serious traumatic brain injuries.
You have only one body.
Why do we encourage to not stop and heal important orangs, and instead just ignore and try to shut up our bodys serious signals.
Signals from our body is not for ignorence. The body wants to tell something to you,
My friend is a doctor. Played college football and had such severe CTE he couldn’t remember his way home sometimes. Eventually it got so bad he can’t have a medical license anymore. He is finally getting his life back together thru cutting edge therapies and of all things magic mushrooms. Not enough to be hanging out on planet Venus, but very small micro doses each day has really helped his memory and brain overall. His wife said to me she finally is getting her husband back piece by piece. Brain injuries are no joke, take care of yourself and I hope Nolan Patrick finds something to help him. Even if he doesn’t play hockey anymore, just to have a normal life for his family and everyone around him. Sometimes we may laugh or think some treatments are a joke but they are just now in the year 2020 scratching the surface on brain chemistry and treatment. It really is terrible and I hope more progress will be made to help the athletes we love to watch and our own family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad