Confirmed with Link: [PHI/MTL] Montreal acquires Dale Weise and Christian Folin for David Schlemko and Byron Froese

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
You guys make it sound like we didnt just get someone whos been absolute garbage over the past few years..

He’s an NHL player, which is more than we can say about the current 4th liners. He’s also had success in Montreal before and certainly isn’t at an age where he should be declining.

A sledge hockey player would be better than our current 4th liners.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He’s an NHL player, which is more than we can say about the current 4th liners. He’s also had success in Montreal before and certainly isn’t at an age where he should be declining.

A sledge hockey player would be better than our current 4th liners.
Is he really?

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
I don't get the rumblings about this trade... We gave up nothing, so if either/both of these guys have a positive impact on the team, that's a plus. If neither of them work out, it becomes a lateral move without giving up anything important. We dumped Schlemko, who was already out of the picture, and Froese who isn't NHL calibre.
We don't lose this trade any way you cut it.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I don't get the rumblings about this trade... We gave up nothing, so if either/both of these guys have a positive impact on the team, that's a plus. If neither of them work out, it becomes a lateral move without giving up anything important. We dumped Schlemko, who was already out of the picture, and Froese who isn't NHL calibre.
Exactly, we gave up dead assets for potential. Neither DS or BF were going to see another game in a Habs uniform and Weise and Frolin might. That alone makes it a good trade.

Will it have any impact? Who knows. But it at least has potential.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Weise salary is only 1.75 next year.

Its not a bad contract to bury in the minors or a team might even take him since his cap hit is higher than his salary.

Guy should go out there and play like his life is on the line. The last time he was here he managed to earn himself that big contract. If he can get his name out there enough a team might take interest in him next year.

If not whatever, the team has shown they will bury anyone in the minors so Weise in Laval next year wont be the worst thing.

Follin will be a big nothing but is UFA. I don't think he will be better than Reilly/Benn/Kulak.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Weise salary is only 1.75 next year.

Its not a bad contract to bury in the minors or a team might even take him since his cap hit is higher than his salary.

Guy should go out there and play like his life is on the line. The last time he was here he managed to earn himself that big contract. If he can get his name out there enough a team might take interest in him next year.

If not whatever, the team has shown they will bury anyone in the minors so Weise in Laval next year wont be the worst thing.

Follin will be a big nothing but is UFA. I don't think he will be better than Reilly/Benn/Kulak.

Its really the same situation as when he arrived from Vancouver. Had he not cut it with the habs back then, it's entirely possible that would have been his last shot to stick as a full time nhler.

Now, it feels like he's coming back on his last chance again.

For what was given up, it's totally worth a shot. He can't make the 4th line worse, and best case scenario, he regains that utility role who has a knack for the big moments.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

Froese was decent depth that helped Laval. We lost Agostino for nothing as a byproduct of that trade. We maybe could have included Agostino in the trade instead, obviously who have insight now, looking especially at NJ roster depth I guess this was foreseeable.

Jul 6, 2016
Froese was decent depth that helped Laval. We lost Agostino for nothing as a byproduct of that trade. We maybe could have included Agostino in the trade instead, obviously who have insight now, looking especially at NJ roster depth I guess this was foreseeable.

So there is no difference. Losing him for nothing or including him in a trade. Philly had no needs for him and LA is in a cleaning house process.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
So there is no difference. Losing him for nothing or including him in a trade. Philly had no needs for him and LA is in a cleaning house process.

I think Philly could have used Agostino, they have a couple of mediocre players on their roster plus an additional roster spot, but it is whatever.

Reactions: Doxinoctae

Locks

May 28, 2005

That's absolutely right. We gave up non-NHL assets for what appears to be NHL assets. In the worst case scenario, if both Weise and Folin prove to be useless, then we traded nothing for nothing. I just don't know how it is not obvious. But when a couple of posters stick to their agenda no matter what, then arguing becomes futile.

Reactions: Redux91

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Weise has been GARBAGE since leaving the Habs, and was playing in the AHL...

[Mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
That's absolutely right. We gave up non-NHL assets for what appears to be NHL assets. In the worst case scenario, if both Weise and Folin prove to be useless, then we traded nothing for nothing. I just don't know how it is not obvious. But when a couple of posters stick to their agenda no matter what, then arguing becomes futile.
by NHL you mean Frolin right ?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Weise has been GARBAGE since leaving the Habs, and was playing in the AHL...

[Mod]

Forget Weise's salary, it's a wash with Schlemko's. Weise didn't light the world on fire, we know that. He had a total of 5 goals and 11 points in 509 minutes. None of his points came on the PP.

His production is better than Deslauriers and Hudon combined, and it was also better than Agostino's ES production, which was mostly before Dec 15th anyway.

Folin is a guy the Habs players are saying good things about. Should be more useful as a 7th D than Alzner or Schlemko and if he is not great, we can let him go at the end of the season.

This is a low risk trade that has a little chance to be very good, and a very good chance to be a little helpful.

Remember: Schlemko for another year was doing nothing for us but collecting a cheque, and Froese was in the minors and leaving soon anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Shad

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Forget Weise's salary, it's a wash with Schlemko's. Weise didn't light the world on fire, we know that. He had a total of 5 goals and 11 points in 509 minutes. None of his points came on the PP.

His production is better than Deslauriers and Hudon combined, and it was also better than Agostino's ES production, which was mostly before Dec 15th anyway.

Folin is a guy the Habs players are saying good things about. Should be more useful as a 7th D than Alzner or Schlemko and if he is not great, we can let him go at the end of the season.

This is a low risk trade that has a little chance to be very good, and a very good chance to be a little helpful.

Remember: Schlemko for another year was doing nothing for us but collecting a cheque, and Froese was in the minors and leaving soon anyway.
So was Weise in Philly...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
So was Weise in Philly...

Correct. Weise however was producing more than our own 4th and 5th liners, and Frolin is younger and better than Alzner and is better insurance for the back end. So it is a low risk minor trade that will very likely pay some dividends, either a little or a bit more.

I don't see any downside to this move.

The key is still improving the LD without hurting the future and not doing anything to compromise our ability to use our cap space this summer for a good scorer.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Correct. Weise however was producing more than our own 4th and 5th liners, and Frolin is younger and better than Alzner and is better insurance for the back end. So it is a low risk minor trade that will very likely pay some dividends, either a little or a bit more.

I don't see any downside to this move.

The key is still improving the LD without hurting the future and not doing anything to compromise our ability to use our cap space this summer for a good scorer.
Weise was in the -> AHL <-

not good enough for a worse team 4th line...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Weise was in the -> AHL <-

not good enough for a worse team 4th line...
I understand, but we will see soon enough if he can help. Meanwhile the two guys we gave up were both in the AHL. Low risk trade not worth arguing about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad