Ducks next captain…

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Skärmbild 2024-04-29 201437.png

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but based on that I don't think Gudas has any interest in being captain. Not that there's much media pressure in Anaheim, but being the captain you gotta be prepared to answer questions after every single game.

Reactions: luiginb

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I love Gudas, but, similar to Perry when he was here, I don't think his game lends itself to being a captain. He's going to take penalties. He's going to say and do things to agitate, both the other team and the referees. If he feels he needs to behave a certain way to stay on the ice and fulfill his captain duties, that might make him less effective.

Conversely, I feel like Getzlaf was forced to mature by getting the C. He still played on the edge at times, but he learned the limits, and I think it helped him be an effective physical player who knew how to avoid crossing the line. Of course, he DID cross the line at times, but it got less and less frequent as he aged. Gudas is 34. Old dog, new tricks, etc.

I admit that I was very much against Zegras being captain before last season. He just didn't seem to have the temperament or the maturity for it. But his effort this season, particularly at the end of the year when the season was lost and he could have mailed it in, plus the praise Cronin has had for his work, makes me think that getting a C could do the same for him as it did for Getzlaf. It would force him to be more mature on the ice and keep him out of the penalty box. Zegras likes to be an agitator, but unlike Perry, he's not built for it. I'm not saying he should back down, but being smarter about his battles would help him and the team. I didn't think I would say this, but I could get behind Zegras for C.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I love Gudas, but, similar to Perry when he was here, I don't think his game lends itself to being a captain. He's going to take penalties. He's going to say and do things to agitate, both the other team and the referees. If he feels he needs to behave a certain way to stay on the ice and fulfill his captain duties, that might make him less effective.

Conversely, I feel like Getzlaf was forced to mature by getting the C. He still played on the edge at times, but he learned the limits, and I think it helped him be an effective physical player who knew how to avoid crossing the line. Of course, he DID cross the line at times, but it got less and less frequent as he aged. Gudas is 34. Old dog, new tricks, etc.

I admit that I was very much against Zegras being captain before last season. He just didn't seem to have the temperament or the maturity for it. But his effort this season, particularly at the end of the year when the season was lost and he could have mailed it in, plus the praise Cronin has had for his work, makes me think that getting a C could do the same for him as it did for Getzlaf. It would force him to be more mature on the ice and keep him out of the penalty box. Zegras likes to be an agitator, but unlike Perry, he's not built for it. I'm not saying he should back down, but being smarter about his battles would help him and the team. I didn't think I would say this, but I could get behind Zegras for C.

You may call it mature, but I call it stifling Zegras' game. Z loves to talk smack on the ice, off the ice, in practice. That's part of his game, part of his mentality to do the things he can do. I love that edge and creativity. Z can improve his defensive game, but we don't want to curb that creativity and edge.

I recall one interview with Eakins where they cite Z giving Eakins the stink eye after scoring the game winning goal in OT in the same game he was benched for not backchecking, iirc. Eakins put a spin on it that Z wanted to show he can be better than his mistake and proved it in OT. Eakins pushed to correct button b/c he got Z to do what he wanted Z to do. It was like 4-D chess! :D

I also love when Z riled up all of Canada in an interview before the WJC-20. That was hilarious and when Z backed it up, that was even more glorious. That's not what a captain does, that's what the second in command does. A captain has to be measured. I don't want to take away Z's gravitas when he does all the yapping for the team.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
My reason for preferring Zegras is that a change of mindset/culture is needed. Good teams are confident, even bordering on cocky. Good teams don't accept losing easily. The Eakins(Cronin so far) Ducks have been neither. Duck vets (Fowler, Gibson, Strome, etc.) are stale and too easily have rolled over. A new mentality is needed. I think Zegras has the snark needed to lead the way.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I love Zegras as much as anyone, but he's not a captain material now. He's super supportive of his teammates, passionate, and full with energy but he just needs to mature a bit. Not like become boring, but just to learn when to be smarter. To a lesser extent I think it's similar to all other young guys too, that's why I think Gudas makes most sense. He was great defensively, plays physical, is passionate, talks pretty great and obviously has tons of experience.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

That guy in Boston doesn’t have a problem being captain and still being a pain in the ass.

Maybe Gudas doesn’t want it. But I think he’d be willing to take it in Anaheim knowing he’s helping the team and with an understanding they want to pass it on to a young guy soon.

It can’t be that difficult having to take questions from Derek and Eric (once in a while).

Reactions: lwvs84

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Too premature to name any of the young guys captain and I don't like the idea of having a transitionary one.

Until one clearly emerges, just roll with three alternates.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Too premature to name any of the young guys captain and I don't like the idea of having a transitionary one.

Until one clearly emerges, just roll with three alternates.

We've had one-time captains before, could also be seen as transitory with Rucchin between Kariya and Scottie as well as Prongs sandwiched between Scottie and Scottie b/c he decided to retire for like 2/3rds of a season.

Going without a captain is a new thing under Verbeek, just like Carlsson's load mgmt and Luneau's weight building seasons.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
It’s gonna be just like in D3 when Conway got the C after feuding with the coach the whole movie. Cronin is gonna pull out the C patch and slap it on Zegras’ jersey during a game and tell him to go out there and take his shot

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
That guy in Boston doesn’t have a problem being captain and still being a pain in the ass.

Maybe Gudas doesn’t want it. But I think he’d be willing to take it in Anaheim knowing he’s helping the team and with an understanding they want to pass it on to a young guy soon.

It can’t be that difficult having to take questions from Derek and Eric (once in a while).
Marchand didn't get it until this last year. He's toned down a lot of the stuff that kept him from getting it until now. I don't think we want Gudas to tone anything down. We need him to be a little bit crazy.

Reactions: luiginb

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
Marchand didn't get it until this last year. He's toned down a lot of the stuff that kept him from getting it until now. I don't think we want Gudas to tone anything down. We need him to be a little bit crazy.
What kept him from getting it until now is that Bergeron had it and only retirement would take it away. He and BNergey were friends as well as linemayes and he learned a LOT from Bergeron - that's why he has it now.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Marchand is still a pest and nobody expected him to be anything less when appointed captain. You’re trying to split hairs here.

Your argument against Gudas is that we should only appoint Lady Byng candidates for fear of taking the snarl out of them. I don’t agree.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Marchand is still a pest and nobody expected him to be anything less when appointed captain. You’re trying to split hairs here.

Your argument against Gudas is that we should only appoint Lady Byng candidates for fear of taking the snarl out of them. I don’t agree.
No, that's not at all my argument against Gudas. You read where I supported Getzlaf for captain, right? And also above where I was okay with Zegras for captain? Getzlaf was never close to a Lady Byng candidate, nor will Zegras ever be. I also think Marchand was the right choice for the Bruins - but only until this year, and not just because Bergeron retired, but because Marchand, while still a pest, crosses the line far less than he did earlier in his career. Also because Boston is a team of rats and Marchand is the biggest rat of them all, but I digress.

My argument against Gudas is the same as the argument against Corey Perry. Perry never wanted a letter (if I recall correctly, Perry wore the A for a bit at the end of his Ducks career). Perry played on the edge, and often over it. He had to in order to be effective. Philosophically speaking, you don't want your captain to be the one pushing the boundaries of the rules. But practically speaking, it takes him off the ice when you want him on the ice.

Gudas' game isn't quite the same as Perry's, but it's in a similar vein of pushing the boundaries. I'm not saying Gudas is not captain material - he appears to be a great leader and mentor - but rather that his on-ice game might not lend itself to being a captain. A captain has to hold themselves to a certain standard of play. Gudas might not want to worry about doing that for fear it takes the edge off of his game. I think Gudas can lead just fine without the C.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

It's not a binary option of Lady Byng vs players on the edge physically or mentally. One can find an option in between that can be more measured most of the time, but can go to the edge or over it when needed. Kariya is different from Scotty and Scotty is different from Getz as captains. We did have Prongs as captain for a season and quickly gave it back to Scotty when Scotty decided to come back from retirement.

No, that's not at all my argument against Gudas. You read where I supported Getzlaf for captain, right? And also above where I was okay with Zegras for captain? Getzlaf was never close to a Lady Byng candidate, nor will Zegras ever be. I also think Marchand was the right choice for the Bruins - but only until this year, and not just because Bergeron retired, but because Marchand, while still a pest, crosses the line far less than he did earlier in his career. Also because Boston is a team of rats and Marchand is the biggest rat of them all, but I digress.

My argument against Gudas is the same as the argument against Corey Perry. Perry never wanted a letter (if I recall correctly, Perry wore the A for a bit at the end of his Ducks career). Perry played on the edge, and often over it. He had to in order to be effective. Philosophically speaking, you don't want your captain to be the one pushing the boundaries of the rules. But practically speaking, it takes him off the ice when you want him on the ice.

Gudas' game isn't quite the same as Perry's, but it's in a similar vein of pushing the boundaries. I'm not saying Gudas is not captain material - he appears to be a great leader and mentor - but rather that his on-ice game might not lend itself to being a captain. A captain has to hold themselves to a certain standard of play. Gudas might not want to worry about doing that for fear it takes the edge off of his game. I think Gudas can lead just fine without the C.

Inconsistent standard here with Z being prompted as a potential captain, but not Gudas where the premise is you don't want to take away their bite. For Gudas it's physical bite. For Z, it's his creativity and passion bite b/c he loves taking risks. Taking risks is the opposite of being measured.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Gudas is not Perry. He’s physical and won’t take crap from anybody. Yes, he can lead without being captain, but since PV wants one this summer somebody is going to wear it starting now. Unless management wants to give it to a young guy now, we have few options. IMO, Gudas is the best option.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Absolutely not captain material
Why not? Asking in all honesty, as I'm not watching a lot of Ducks games but ever since his Boston days he's a guy who's always looked like he was giving it his all. And now he also leads your team in points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad