Confirmed with Link: [PHI/MTL] Montreal acquires Dale Weise and Christian Folin for David Schlemko and Byron Froese

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Given what Weise cost, why not. It's not as if we were going to get anything for Schlemko and Froese anyway. Bergevin is taking a chance that Weise will be recharged by the idea of coming back to a place where he had a good run.
I have no problem with getting back Weise at all but I just wonder what type of player he is now. Is he still a good skater? I am hoping that he is and is able to provide some sort of production from the fourth line.

Reactions: Tyson and Runner77

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Never saw a 4th liner been welcome like that in MTL !

Montreal fans never forget...

I bet if they resigned Halak ..the city goes bonkers too

These guy's did something,many others never did...to get the full Montreal love you gotta do something to be remembered..both of those guys did that ,and won the hearts of the city..remember those Halak stop signs?? The Weise for his timely playoff work

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Never saw a 4th liner been welcome like that in MTL !
Weise was such a huge fan favourite. He always gave 100% and was one of the few bottom six players who actually had decent success when Therrien put him in the top six.

Plus, his clutch playoff goals against Ottawa, Tampa and his entire series against the Bruins are legendary.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
By the way, the other part of the trade, Froese. I’ve never seen a more nothing player in the NHL. He wasn’t bad, but he wasn’t good. He wasn’t even average. It was like he didn’t exist when he was on the ice. Never really seen that. Typically players are awful or good, he was nothing.
Logan Shaw begs to differ :sarcasm:

Reactions: Tyson and le_sean

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not sure I get this trade. Weise can barely play in the NHL anymore from what I've seen. Unless he bounces back this is a nothing trade.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not sure I get this trade. Weise can barely play in the NHL anymore from what I've seen. Unless he bounces back this is a nothing trade.

The way I understand it, it's a move to get rid of Schlemko, who if I'm not mistaken, has been on IR 5 times in two seasons.

Another aspect is acquiring Folin. Although a depth defenseman, he is a right-handed shot, which after Weber and Petry, Habs don't have any, especially with Juulsen out indefinitely. The only other RDs they have are Lernout and Fleury, and they belong in Laval right now. So Folin being a RD is an option they have. It may also be related with a possible Benn trade?

As for Weise, I guess they're banking on a guy who wears that jersey proudly and that motivation could bring something out of him.

It's not a significant move. But it's worth a shot. Weise could be a step up from Agostino, who had stagnated lately. Also over Hudon, who isn't able to establish his spot in the line-up every chance he gets.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The way I understand it, it's a move to get rid of Schlemko, who if I'm not mistaken, has been on IR 5 times in two seasons.

Another aspect is acquiring Folin. Although a depth defenseman, he is a right-handed shot, which after Weber and Petry, Habs don't have any, especially with Juulsen out indefinitely. The only other RDs they have are Lernout and Fleury, and they belong in Laval right now. So Folin being a RD is an option they have. It may also be related with a possible Benn trade?

As for Weise, I guess they're banking on a guy who wears that jersey proudly and that motivation could bring something out of him.

It's not a significant move. But it's worth a shot. Weise could be a step up from Agostino, who had stagnated lately. Also over Hudon, who isn't able to establish his spot in the line-up every chance he gets.
Bah...that sounds like a nothing trade to me, but Bergevin is addicted to these depth trades, if we can even call them that..

Jul 6, 2016
Bah...that sounds like a nothing trade to me, but Bergevin is addicted to these depth trades, if we can even call them that..

In this case, MB needed to make a move to improve his 4th line and get rid of a player like Schlemko.

Are the Domi and Tatar trades , depth trades . Or Weber OR Drouin ? MB is doing all kinds of trades.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In this case, MB needed to make a move to improve his 4th line and get rid of a player like Schlemko.

Are the Domi and Tatar trades , depth trades . Or Weber OR Drouin ? MB is doing all kinds of trades.
Okay...still a nothing trade. Hes just taking a chance on Weise sparking back up to life when he dons the Jersey again.
It wont change much of anything in the end though, we are talking about borderline NHL guys here.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Okay...still a nothing trade. Hes just taking a chance on Weise sparking back up to life when he dons the Jersey again.
It wont change much of anything in the end though, we are talking about borderline NHL guys here.

So it's a trade that worst case, does nothing to make the team worse.

Best case we get an energy guy who will improve the bottom 6 without giving anything up. Plus it's Weise.

Are you one of those guys who thinks GMs should spend all their time trying to make blockbuster trades and don't have time for anything else?

Jul 6, 2016

Most 4th line players are borderline NHL players.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Bryan Flynn
Froese and Flynn are two players that frustrated me because they really brought nothing to the table. Flynn had some speed but couldn't win any board battles. Meanwhile Froese kept getting minutes for no apparent reason asides from being decent at faceoffs.

Reactions: JuicyHam

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Froese and Flynn are two players that frustrated me because they really brought nothing to the table. Flynn had some speed but couldn't win any board battles. Meanwhile Froese kept getting minutes for no apparent reason asides from being decent at faceoffs.

Flynn was only useful in a shootout. He was actually pretty good at those.

And Froese got minutes to ensure Habs land 3rd overall to select Kotkaniemi. So Froese's contributions to the cause should be commended.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So it's a trade that worst case, does nothing to make the team worse.

Best case we get an energy guy who will improve the bottom 6 without giving anything up. Plus it's Weise.

Are you one of those guys who thinks GMs should spend all their time trying to make blockbuster trades and don't have time for anything else?
I said it's a nothing trade.

I believe in moves that will improve the team. Nothing trades are, for the most part, pointless. They are however one of Bergevin's favorite trades, he does them every year. He loves a good bargain and tries to find some every year. I have no idea how this generated 24 pages. We aren't going to win or lose because of this trade, it's going to change pretty much nothing. Even if Weise is great, it won't change much of anything.
I'm more interested in impactful trades.

For the record it's 2019 Weise, not 2014-16 Weise. Prust was great the first year for us at 28...when he got into his 30s though...not so much. But hey, everyone loved Weise, so hopefully a fire under his ass will get lit up.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Seems pretty obvious to me. Schlemko is a liability. Even in the AHL. There is absolutely nothing positive to say about Schlemko. While Weise hasn't been good with the Flyers, he has always been insanely passionate and motivated with us. Passion and motivation can definitely help a player, and he admitted that he lost his passion ever since he got traded.
Weise>Froese
Folin>Schlemko

And we took on what, 200k? Saying that this is a typical Bergevin trade makes no sense to me. Bergevin made stupid and useless like brining in Ott, King, Martinsen...etc when he wouldn't go for real help with a much better roster. Now the 4th line is absolute trash and he NEEDED to do something about it. I'd rather him do that instead of trading picks and prospects with our current situation.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Seems pretty obvious to me. Schlemko is a liability. Even in the AHL. There is absolutely nothing positive to say about Schlemko. While Weise hasn't been good with the Flyers, he has always been insanely passionate and motivated with us. Passion and motivation can definitely help a player, and he admitted that he lost his passion ever since he got traded.
Weise>Froese
Folin>Schlemko

And we took on what, 200k? Saying that this is a typical Bergevin trade makes no sense to me. Bergevin made stupid and useless like brining in Ott, King, Martinsen...etc when he wouldn't go for real help with a much better roster. Now the 4th line is absolute trash and he NEEDED to do something about it. I'd rather him do that instead of trading picks and prospects with our current situation.
Bergevin loves projects. Semin, Kassian, Fleischmann, and all the other ones who amounted to nothing.

Not saying the same case will happen with Weise, my point was...who cares. We talking 4th liners-AHL guys here.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Bergevin loves projects. Semin, Kassian, Fleischmann, and all the other ones who amounted to nothing.

Not saying the same case will happen with Weise, my point was...who cares. We talking 4th liners-AHL guys here.
We could definitely use some 4th liners. Our 4th line pretty much cost us the game last time.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
We could definitely use some 4th liners. Our 4th line pretty much cost us the game last time.

Yup. Some might think having a good 4th line doesn't help, but it does. Not having to cut your bench to 3 lines in the third is actually a huge benefit to keep everyone fresh over the course of a game, season and playoffs.

Reactions: The Great Weise

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes