Confirmed with Link: [PHI/MTL] Montreal acquires Dale Weise and Christian Folin for David Schlemko and Byron Froese

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I understand, but we will see soon enough if he can help. Meanwhile the two guys we gave up were both in the AHL. Low risk trade not worth arguing about.
I don't see people arguing, I do see people trying to convince themselves it's a solid trade though.

reality is, Weise was somewhat in the same position as Schlemko, playing in the AHL after playing and sucking at the NHL level this season.

Philly prefered having Schlemko over Weise... think about it for a sec.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't see people arguing, I do see people trying to convince themselves it's a solid trade though.

reality is, Weise was somewhat in the same position as Schlemko, playing in the AHL after playing and sucking at the NHL level this season.

Habs preferred Weise over Schlemko... think about that for a sec.

I think Weise will be re-energized coming back to the Habs and will bust his ass off for us.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

If Weise was sucking at the NHL level, he at least sucked less than the guys we have currently playing 4th and 5th line.

A trade gets done because both teams have different perceived needs.

Is there a scenario in which you see significant downside for Montreal?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
If Weise was sucking at the NHL level, he at least sucked less than the guys we have currently playing 4th and 5th line.

obviously that's what matters to people, as long as it doesnt cost much, as long as there's no risk...

I see people rejoicing cause Habs upgraded their AHL calibre players for the NHL playoffs

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I mean...sure..maybe?...Weise couldn't even be a regular for the freaking Flyers??

Crazy thought, focus on the trades that will actually make you better, not the ones that are completely up in the air where hopefully they'll work out.

In the end, who gives a crap about this trade. It's a nothing one. Pointless.
At least with Thompson, you can argue how he's good on the PK and FOs, so that makes more sense.

Reactions: ECWHSWI

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
obviously that's what matters to people, as long as it doesnt cost much, as long as there's no risk...

I see people rejoicing cause Habs upgraded their AHL calibre players for the NHL playoffs

I get what you're saying. Some of the rejoicing is because people like Weise and dream of 5 playoff goals. Sometimes being a fan favourite affects postings here.

Objectively, this deal to try to upgrade the fourth line and 7th D spot came without giving up any assets we might need to land the big fish we need. I'm not rejoicing over that, but I am relieved that we did not spend a significant asset on a Martinsen type again.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I mean...sure..maybe?...Weise couldn't even be a regular for the freaking Flyers??

Crazy thought, focus on the trades that will actually make you better, not the ones that are completely up in the air where hopefully they'll work out.

In the end, who gives a crap about this trade. It's a nothing one. Pointless.
At least with Thompson, you can argue how he's good on the PK and FOs, so that makes more sense.

But the price paid always matters. Thompson is a good gamble because his attributes are balanced against the cost which was only 8 or so spots in the draft around 125.

We could also focus on Weise and say he might score a little more than Agostino, Hudon and Deslauriers. True he could not stick on the Flyers roster, but then neither could Byron stick on the Calgary roster. If you can get a guy for nothing or almost nothing, and there is a chance he can help, I see no reason to not do it. Applies to Weise, Folin and Thompson - all of them. Kulak and Reilly too if you think about it.

All small moves, agreed, but not bad ones. Now the GM should focus on the moves that could move the needle a lot more!

Last edited:

MC94

May 13, 2018
Weise has been GARBAGE since leaving the Habs, and was playing in the AHL...

[Mod]
The man lost his passion for the game and the crowd in Montreal can really bring that out of a man, maybe this is just me hoping for the best but I am very confident he will find his touch again this season, maybe it will only last a season or two untill the adrenaline wears off but I think he will do some damage for us

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
The man lost his passion for the game and the crowd in Montreal can really bring that out of a man, maybe this is just me hoping for the best but I am very confident he will find his touch again this season, maybe it will only last a season or two untill the adrenaline wears off but I think he will do some damage for us

If our crowd does show up, that is. I was ashamed to see so many blue jerseys in the stands last Saturday. Un-****ing-acceptable.

Reactions: Victorius

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
But the price paid always matters. Thompson is a good gamble because his attributes are balanced against the cost which was only 8 or so spots in the draft around 125.

We could also focus on Weise and say he might score a little more than Agostino, Hudon and Deslauriers. True he could not stick on the Flyers roster, but then neither could Byron stick on the Calgary roster. If you can get a guy for nothing or almost nothing, and there is a chance he can help, I see no reason to not do it. Applies to Weise, Frolin and Thompson - all of them. Kulak and Reilly too if you think about it.

All small moves, agreed, but not bad ones. Now the GM should focus on the moves that could move the needle a lot more!
Paul Byron was 25 or 26 at the time, not 30, and the Flames fans were pretty disappointed when they lost him.

Listen, we got an AHLer in Weise here. Ya sure maybe we strike gold again, I'd say unlikely, but ya maybe. Not sure how that explains this big sense of joy here loll..As it stands it's a nothing trade.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's played almost the entire season in the NHL. Has not played in the AHL consistently since 2011. He was sent down this yr to try and move him. This is a stupid argument you're having. Just admit you're wrong.
Wrong about what? Okay...hes not an AHLer...hes a 4th liner who couldn't entirely secure his spot. Wow man, you sure showed me.

For the record, never said he wont possibly do well, I said as it stands today, it's a nothing trade. Habs fans have become so sensitive, cant even say a trade concerning a guy who's barely able to hd on to his 4th line spot as a nothing trade without getting blowback. :facepalm:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Wrong about what? Okay...hes not an AHLer...hes a 4th liner who couldn't entirely secure his spot. Wow man, you sure showed me.

For the record, never said he wont possibly do well, I said as it stands today, it's a nothing trade. Habs fans have become so sensitive, cant even say a trade concerning a guy who's barely able to hd on to his 4th line spot as a nothing trade without getting blowback. :facepalm:

I'm not giving you blowback. Between "nothing" in your words, and "minor" in mine, there is not much difference. But I look at both Weise and Folin and see a decent chance at some benefit and no real chance of a cost, given that both pieces that departed were in Laval and not scheduled to come back.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I'm not giving you blowback. Between "nothing" in your words, and "minor" in mine, there is not much difference. But I look at both Weise and Folin and see a decent chance at some benefit and no real chance of a cost, given that both pieces that departed were in Laval and not scheduled to come back.
Proof of a bad line up if Dale Weiss make you better. Even slightly.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
He will be a huge upgrade on the 4th line along with Thompson...that’s all we should care about.

Dale Weise is a god gift to the Habs.

He scored huge goals in the playoffs for the team. He made Lucic look like a fool and Bruins fans mad. He brought back Danault and Romanov in a deal. He allowed to unload Schlemko's contract.

Now if he could just score a game 7 winner against the Leafs, the organization would have no choice but to retire #22.

Jul 6, 2016
He will be a huge upgrade on the 4th line along with Thompson...that’s all we should care about.

That's what we are all hoping. But Weise played like crap in Chicago and during his stay with Philly. Will he get his mojo back with a Habs jersey on him ?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The same people who think this team is utter shit and always preach that they don't want to lose any assets in pursuit of a better playoff performance whine that this wasn't done by Bergevin as soon as any minor trade is done.

Make up your friggin' minds!

I'm happy because Bergevin wasted nothing in terms of assets when I wanted him to do nothing at the trade deadline. Everyone should be ecstatic about that, unless it disproves what they were just pining for in hopes of bashing Bergevin again.

That's the real hamster wheel to nowhere, folks. A bunch of disingenuous fans looking at any angle to drop the mother turd on Bergevin's head.

Nothing happened. Perfect. Period.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The same people who think this team is utter **** and always preach that they don't want to lose any assets in pursuit of a better playoff performance whine that this wasn't done by Bergevin as soon as any minor trade is done.

Make up your friggin' minds!

I'm happy because Bergevin wasted nothing in terms of assets when I wanted him to do nothing at the trade deadline. Everyone should be ecstatic about that, unless it disproves what they were just pining for in hopes of bashing Bergevin again.

That's the real hamster wheel to nowhere, folks. A bunch of disingenuous fans looking at any angle to drop the mother turd on Bergevin's head.

Nothing happened. Perfect. Period.
I don’t think it’s fair to call fans disengenious who think Bergevin over his tenure has been a clusterf***. After 6+ years of OJT he might finally have a clue.
I like both trades he made this week.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
From this morning's practice:

EuYYF1z.gif

Reactions: Habaneros

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad