Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Carter Hart signs extension with the Flyers (3 years, $3.979M AAV)

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
This. AV has been blessed with Luongo and Lundqvist - two HoF goalies - during his career. Hart, as good as he may be, isn’t those two guys.

He got Luongo in Luongo's 10th year in the league and Henrik in his 9th year. Carter is going into his 4th year. I'm not saying he is in their league at all. However, he has shown that he can handle playing in the NHL. Despite what others think, the defense is a step up from the past few years and hopefully the new forwards will help as well. The scenery change for a few players could work out well. Based on what some players are getting in this market, I think this is a fair deal. We aren't letting another great goalie go anywhere.

Reactions: BHD

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
John Gibson put up 3 seasons of .920+ SV% and then he signed a contract with 6.4mil aav in the pre-flat cap era.
Carter Hart getting 6mil per year for a .910 SV% would be massive overpay in the flat cap world.
His post is wrong, Hart’s deal is the typical bridge every RFA starting goalie gets (the amounts differ obviously). Giving Hart a 6 year deal that left him a UFA at 28 (or any longer deal) wouldn’t have made sense.

And I mean every goalie gets a bridge deal after their ELC: Price (2 year/2.75m), Vasilevskiy (3 year/3.5m), Gibson (3 year/2.3m), Holtby (2 year/1.85m), Murray (3 years/3.75m), etc

The short bridge deal is a test drive before a long term deal that then starts while the RFA goalies are still relatively young.

Demko already had a two year bridge deal after his ELC, he’s 25 years old.

The reason Shesterkin got a 4 year/5.66m deal is because he’s 25 and only had two RFA years left, it was a one year bridge deal or a longer deal with UFA years.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
If .877 sv% being bad is "my opinion" then I suppose your opinion is that .877 is good?? Ok then!
Not sure what your point is… last year he was bad thats pretty obvious. Was he bad the year before? Was he a bad jr goalie? 49-37-9 in nhl. .905 in 101 games and he is 22.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
So that leaves 4 million to sign Sanheim. Don't see that happening. Looking forward to Fletcher dumping draft picks and prospects to have enough money to sign Sanheim. Glad he spent money on useless free agents like Yandle, Thompson, and Jones before signing his own players.

Chuck Fletcher sees his role as showing future GMs what not to do. You have to admit, he is really good at being a warning to other franchises how not to run one.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The problem in Philly isn't Hart in net, it's AV as a coach. His kindergarten defensive system is a nightmare for all goalies and teams playing for him basically always leads the league in allowing backdoor goals on the weak side.

Reactions: deeshamrock

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
"One bad year" is such a big LOL. ~.900 is a bad year, under .900 you shouldn't be in the NHL, <.890 is embarrassing and should only happen on a team that is tanking, <.880 is INCREDIBLY bad for a "starting goalie" on a team that should be fighting for playoffs. Sorry that's just facts.

Of all goalies that played 20 or more games last season, there were only 37 that achieved over 900. This would mean most of the league wouldn't have a backup under your logic.

But then, your username suggests you're not exactly going to be reasonable about this.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I seriously wonder how people can call this a potential steal.

If so, than he has about 1.5 year left on this deal and will ask for big bucks with this next contract.

Puzzling deal.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm not here to make excuses but, we are talking about a human being and not a robot. And, he's just 22. But apparently he had a very difficult year last year socially - the lock downs, he was no longer working with his longtime sports psychologist, and I have heard rumors from people who know people, apparently he is not well liked in the locker room.

Taking these things into account, even if only half of it is true, I could understand the troubles. Life can get difficult sometimes and I could see last year being a real emotional struggle for many people, particularly in his age group, if you're lacking in a strong support system.

Either way, I believe last year will be a bump in the road and this contract will end up being the right value.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I seriously wonder how people can call this a potential steal.

If so, than he has about 1.5 year left on this deal and will ask for big bucks with this next contract.

Puzzling deal.

Potential steal means it could potentially be a steal. If Hart rebounds to what we expect him to become then you get 2/3 years of a really good goalie for $3.9m. That's a steal, potentially.

Reactions: Sasso09

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I'm not here to make excuses but, we are talking about a human being and not a robot. And, he's just 22. But apparently he had a very difficult year last year socially - the lock downs, he was no longer working with his longtime sports psychologist, and I have heard rumors from people who know people, apparently he is not well liked in the locker room.

Taking these things into account, even if only half of it is true, I could understand the troubles. Life can get difficult sometimes and I could see last year being a real emotional struggle for many people, particularly in his age group, if you're lacking in a strong support system.

Either way, I believe last year will be a bump in the road and this contract will end up being the right value.
Are you talking about Hart? I find this really hard to believe. Even during an absolutely terrible season last year it seemed like when anyone on the team was asked about him all they could talk about is how hard he works and that they have confidence that he'll bounce back. It seems like guys go out of their way to take his back.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
In a flat cap era the guy sets a record for highest contract after ELC for a goalie.

Not something I'd expect from a guy that was one of the worst goalies in the league last year.

I guess we'll see if Dustin Schwartz is actually any good as a goalie coach

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Are you talking about Hart? I find this really hard to believe. Even during an absolutely terrible season last year it seemed like when anyone on the team was asked about him all they could talk about is how hard he works and that they have confidence that he'll bounce back. It seems like guys go out of their way to take his back.

It was strictly hearsay. I too find it hard to believe.

Reactions: Sasso09

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013
Carter Hart really was the worst goalie in the league last year. That to say, I don't mind this deal for Philly because he only go up from here. This isn't an over the hill situation like say Braden Holtby.

RoyalRed

Apr 8, 2013

Not an excuse at all. If Carter had certain routines or parts of his lifestyle that were affected by the lockdowns, that's legit. It's been very hard on most people, especially mentally.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think this is a great contract. I thought he would be a 5 X 5 guy. 1 Million less on a prove it contract, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Reactions: Accelleratii

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

I think you might be on to something with this. Some people thrive when they are better socially connected. In the bubble when everyone was quarantine together hart really excelled and dialed in.

Reactions: Accelleratii

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
I still believe he will bounce back, but he simply should've been punished for the last year. Yeah, worst in the league while his backup managed to keep much better numbers, impossible to deny that. But this money and term? It's like if it never happened... He'd get half maybe if his selary was set by arbitration.
Maybe it's a message of trust from the management, but considering the situation and who is still about to get signed, this sucks almost as bad as everything Fletcher did this offseason.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
He had a terrible year,

and still got this much ?

:huh::huh::huh::huh:
Maybe it's Fletcher and Flyers ownership saying to Hart that they still believe he'll turn it around and become their goalie of the future and for a long time. It's 3 years not an 8 year deal. Maybe Fletcher is hoping since the Flyers are standing behind Hart that 3 years from now when his contract is up and if he turns things around that he'll give the Flyers a team friendly deal when they try to resign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00