Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
What comes after ''parabolic''?
A reliable, elite player. Hopefully next season he will show the league he is an unstoppable force and they need to game-plan to try to stop him.

And hopefully the rest of the team follow his lead and thrive in his shadow.

Reactions: waitin425

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He has the weight of a Nations fanbase on him and is showing zero signs of waffling, In fact, I think that weight helps to drive and propel him.

I am going to absolutely step in shit here.....but, I'll say it.....he has a Hart trophy in his future.
It's a small sample size, but if you add this WC to his great 21-22 performances at the Olympic games and the WC that year, he definitely seems to go into beast mode when he's playing for his country.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's a small sample size, but if you add this WC to his great 21-22 performances at the Olympic games and the WC that year, he definitely seems to go into beast mode when he's playing for his country.

He seems to take the team on his shoulders and wants to lead. Doesn't appear to over stretch himself with this narrative either.

Jagr light. Not as much as a ridiculous statement as it was last year or the year before. Confidence/Development/Momentum is starting to show big time.

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Think he’d ink and 8x8 ?
The odds are good. He only had 1/2 a season dominating the way he did. He was close to go back to Laval at some point. As an agent you can see this two way, sign now and you know you walk away from you career with $60M regardless of what happen next, or sign a 3yrs at 5 (so 15 total) with the hope the next one is a big fat one. He can bet on himself but an injury or lesser performance can yield a lower contract and "life time earning".

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
The odds are good. He only had 1/2 a season dominating the way he did. He was close to go back to Laval at some point. As an agent you can see this two way, sign now and you know you walk away from you career with $60M regardless of what happen next, or sign a 3yrs at 5 (so 15 total) with the hope the next one is a big fat one. He can bet on himself but an injury or lesser performance can yield a lower contract and "life time earning".
6 X 7.5M should be good enough, IMO. Leaves hims a 26-yr old tossing a mega contract that brings him through age 34 and earns him 45M + 3M as an ELC.

6 X 7.5M should be good enough, IMO. Leaves hims a 26-yr old signing a mega contract as a final big one that brings him through age 34 and earns him 45M + 3M as an ELC.

It also allows him to produce in the playoffs for three years when we start making them with hopes of going further in the playoffs.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Getting paid 60+ million isn't him being fleeced. That's him setting himself and his family up for life.
That's guaranteed money, too.

If anything happens to him or his body... it's GG, but with a contract, it's easier to swallow.

Arpon mentioning on TSN 690 that the Habs priority this summer is to get Slaf signed long term and they're hoping to get him into that Suzuki/Caufield structure.

Very smart.

The sooner the better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has the weight of a Nations fanbase on him and is showing zero signs of waffling, In fact, I think that weight helps to drive and propel him.

I am going to absolutely step in shit here.....but, I'll say it.....he has a Hart trophy in his future.

Agreed. Take away the worry of making a mistake and he just brings it. When he plays for his country, I don't think they coach him not to make a mistake. They lean on him as a leader and he thrives from it.

Wait till he fills in and gains more confidence. He's on a steep curve right now and difficult to know where it tops out at. That Size/Skill/Skating and forecheck (long stick) is deadly. Can play both a skill/skating game and also a physical game when he needs to.

One of his biggest annoyances from the opposition is his ability to cause disruption. He's great at causing turnovers and/or ruining a pass from the D in their break outs.

Reactions: Pomee

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I feel like he is the player that got the most out of having a guy like Xhekaj on the team. He had his own skill set but has also learned to be mean. Doesn't have to fight, but will insert himself and get in other people's faces. A guy like Pinto may think it's cute today, but give it a few years and it won't be so humorous.

Reactions: Pomee and Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Think he’d ink and 8x8 ?

I think so but depends on what his agent will feed him. Habs best pitch is to offer the Suzuki contract and see if it works. I do think the Habs would be reaching to some degree but it could be a good deal in the last 4/8 years.

Nobody knows where Slaf will max out at. Not even Slaf. The part that worries me is growth from our top 6 assets and how this helps Slaf reach big numbers.

* Suzuki is Suzuki. Quietly improves year/year.

* Caufield is flashy. Goes on hot/cold streaks. What you see is what you get at this point IMO.

* Dach getting injured was very deflating. If he has a healthy season, I am sure he shows his potential.

* Who knows what Roy does this year.

* Who knows what kind of top 6 asset we try to add.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The thing about a contract is that both sides have to agree to it.. some guys actually leave some money on the table to win, unlike the Figs
The large majority of players do not leave money on the table though and doing so, shouldn't be required to help your team win.

Arpon mentioning on TSN 690 that the Habs priority this summer is to get Slaf signed long term and they're hoping to get him into that Suzuki/Caufield structure.
Yeah I bet lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I can see Slaf's agent recommending a bridge deal, 2 years x 5 and roll the dice for a huge payday when he is 23

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lets take advantage of this young man!!! He's so humble and has great character let's fleece him :laugh::laugh:

For as much as we like his development, He's not worth $8M today. IMO, 8x $6M would be him getting fleeced.

8x $8M would mean we are reaching to overpay him in the next 2 seasons (after EL), fair AAV for 3 more, and then possibly underpaid in the last 3.

Even if he becomes a 60-80 pts forward next year, does that mean he is worth more than $8M? The only way I see him getting fleeced with this deal is if he turns into a 80-100 pts forward.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think so but depends on what his agent will feed him. Habs best pitch is to offer the Suzuki contract and see if it works. I do think the Habs would be reaching to some degree but it could be a good deal in the last 4/8 years.

Nobody knows where Slaf will max out at. Not even Slaf. The part that worries me is growth from our top 6 assets and how this helps Slaf reach big numbers.

* Suzuki is Suzuki. Quietly improves year/year.

* Caufield is flashy. Goes on hot/cold streaks. What you see is what you get at this point IMO.

* Dach getting injured was very deflating. If he has a healthy season, I am sure he shows his potential.

* Who knows what Roy does this year.

* Who knows what kind of top 6 asset we try to add.
He pays his agent to look after his best interest, so that's what he's going to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad