Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Hart/FA NHL
Lyon/Sandstrom AHL
Ustimenko/Who cares ECHL

Is that what we're looking at or will they stick Ustimenko in Lehigh to backup because of the other Russians down there?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hart/FA NHL
Lyon/Sandstrom AHL
Ustimenko/Who cares ECHL

Is that what we're looking at or will they stick Ustimenko in Lehigh to backup because of the other Russians down there?

I’d imagine ECHL. It’s probably a big jump from Russian junior league to the AHL & there’s probably more playing time to be had in the ECHL for him too.

Reactions: Peter Man

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Agreed on the ECHL being a more ideal league for him next year but the Russian aspect has to be a concern

I’d imagine it was laid out to him & his agent beforehand of what the possibilities were.

Russian’s generally care about playing in the minors over the NHL anyway. I can’t imagine he thinks he should be in the NHL so I don’t really think being in the AHL or ECHL will matter. Especially when they tell him how much playing time he could get between the two leagues.

Being a goalie in the ECHL isn’t as big of deal perhaps for a positional player. There’s plenty of goalies who went on the play in the NHL who played a good amount of time in the ECHL. The Flyers are likely going to have 5 goalies under NHL contract next year & he’s likely the low man. But all it takes is for one injury & he moves up.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I’d imagine it was laid out to him & his agent beforehand of what the possibilities were.

Russian’s generally care about playing in the minors over the NHL anyway. I can’t imagine he thinks he should be in the NHL so I don’t really think being in the AHL or ECHL will matter. Especially when they tell him how much playing time he could get between the two leagues.

Being a goalie in the ECHL isn’t as big of deal perhaps for a positional player. There’s plenty of goalies who went on the play in the NHL who played a good amount of time in the ECHL. The Flyers are likely going to have 5 goalies under NHL contract next year & he’s likely the low man. But all it takes is for one injury & he moves up.

I didn't mean Russian factor as he'd be a flight risk but rather he's a Russian kid coming to NA not knowing the language and culture. The Phantoms offer him commonality with fellow countrymen where the ECHL, as far as I know, does not.

Apologies for the confusion. I should've clarified originally.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hart/FA NHL
Lyon/Sandstrom AHL
Ustimenko/Who cares ECHL

Could he not play one more year, on assignment, in the KHL before coming over? The release said he's signed to play in North America, but could that be 2020-21?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The whole reason he's coming over is he's been buried in the MHL, the same way Fedorov will probably ask for his release if he's told to repeat the VHL instead of being promoted to the KHL.

Reactions: renberg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I didn't mean Russian factor as he'd be a flight risk but rather he's a Russian kid coming to NA not knowing the language and culture. The Phantoms offer him commonality with fellow countrymen where the ECHL, as far as I know, does not.

Apologies for the confusion. I should've clarified originally.

Oh ok. Yeah I don’t know. I’d imagine they’d find some solution to that. If the path to playing the most games possible in one league is greater than the other. I’d imagine they’d still value that & find some type of solution for that other problem.

The Caps played a Czech kid in the ECHL for a while there to start out his pro career over here. So teams do have foreign goalies play there even though the league is probably a much lower percentage of foreign players than the AHL/NHL.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Could he not play one more year, on assignment, in the KHL before coming over? The release said he's signed to play in North America, but could that be 2020-21?

I'd assume he could stay another year like Sandstrom did but it sounds like he's coming over now

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
There’s no transfer agreement with the KHL so there’s no signing window. If the Flyers wanted him to play in Russia next year they just wouldn’t have signed him.

The Flyers signed Sandstrom last year because he would have been able to turn UFA this summer.

There was some kind of issue with Ustimenko in Russia. He shouldn’t have been playing this year in the MHL (junior league to the KHL) as a 19-20 (at least not full time) but for whatever reason he didn’t move up to the VHL (minor league to the KHL) or KHL. That’s more than likely why he signed so early, otherwise he’d still likely be signed on in Russia.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
It's a good sign our prospect pool is beginning to hit critical mass when we're having to talk about guys playing in the echl.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hart/FA NHL
Lyon/Sandstrom AHL
Ustimenko/Who cares ECHL

Ersson too.

It’s intereting that our forward prospects are going to potentially bounce but our goalie ones are sticking. Guess it’s still open for long term backup which has been shown to move you to a starter with success in the NHL.

Ifk if I would add a wing in trade or ufa like Kapanen unless you are trading jake soon.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Not that I agree at all with all those rankings, but they don't take into account significant graduations and players whose stock plummeted. The Flyers prospect pool is definitely above average, but most of these "depth" prospects fans like to talk about have little to no NHL potential.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not that I agree at all with all those rankings, but they don't take into account significant graduations and players whose stock plummeted. The Flyers prospect pool is definitely above average, but most of these "depth" prospects fans like to talk about have little to no NHL potential.
It did take those things into account and that's why I included the dates. It's what those websites thought of the prospects, as of that date.

Just like the April 2019 Hockey News Future Watch, ranks the Flyers the #1 team for the best prospect pool 21 and under. And had them ranked #2 the previous year.

You are being biased AGAINST the Flyers if you can't see that all these independent sites, value the Flyers prospect pool as an elite one.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That's more the result of Flyers fans talking about their prospects a lot than having amazing depth.

I know, right? If these internet idiots would just shut up about these prospects, there wouldn't be any depth at all, and then we could go out and get some real proven winners like Brock Nelson.

I'm 100% on-board #TeamGarbage :thumbu:

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Ersson too.

It’s intereting that our forward prospects are going to potentially bounce but our goalie ones are sticking. Guess it’s still open for long term backup which has been shown to move you to a starter with success in the NHL.

Ifk if I would add a wing in trade or ufa like Kapanen unless you are trading jake soon.

Ersson is unsigned, though.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It did take those things into account and that's why I included the dates. It's what those websites thought of the prospects, as of that date.

Just like the April 2019 Hockey News Future Watch, ranks the Flyers the #1 team for the best prospect pool 21 and under. And had them ranked #2 the previous year.

You are being biased AGAINST the Flyers if you can't see that all these independent sites, value the Flyers prospect pool as an elite one.

Why do you waste your time? :laugh:

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006

I don't subscribe to Hockey News, so I wouldn't know. The ones you linked to have Hart and Lindblom, whom I consider graduated. The Flyers still have a very good prospect pool, but to the point... its "depth" consists of a ton of mediocre talents who have been moderately productive at lower levels but don't stand a chance of being impact players in the NHL.

Reactions: Jiminy Cricket
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad