Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He was over matched . His head could not keep up with the play and he left himself exposed to hits all the time . His problem is he played in prep hockey and the jump to college is far to great . At the start of their year he was given full reign on the top lines of plus pp and some pk and could not produce so over matched is exactually what i would call it . Putting Providence down just cause he could not produce is like butting BC down cause Wahlstrom can't or putting BU down just cause Bellows can't preform or Minn Duluth cause Tuffte can't produce . I put the onus of the players not the program the rest is just excuses .

giphy.gif

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He was over matched . His head could not keep up with the play and he left himself exposed to hits all the time . His problem is he played in prep hockey and the jump to college is far to great . At the start of their year he was given full reign on the top lines of plus pp and some pk and could not produce so over matched is exactually what i would call it.

They started him at 1C. Yes, I agree that was a big mistake. He was overmatched in that capacity. As a 3RW later in the season, he looked perfectly fine.

He was physically overmatched at numerous times this past season, was just thrown around like a rag doll a lot of the time.

I agree, he was thrown around like a rag doll. I saw it quite a few times. I should have stated more clearly that I was referencing more so the pace of play. He was still on the puck. Even after the injuries.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I would guess there is a bigger story for his transfer than just that he's a "quitter". Hockey players rarely transfer, let alone NHL-caliber ones. He seemed to have a strong relationship with Leaman. Wasn't he even at the draft last summer? Hard to believe it soured that quickly. Maybe it did. I only saw about 5 games, but I always felt like he didn't get enough usage despite being one of the fastest and most skilled players on either squad.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He will never play a game with Philly. He is going to take so long to develop, he will walk. And certain people had a shit fit saying I part with that pick in a deal for Grubauer.

Next.

Crazy that we have had such a good prospect pool, yet Morin, Rubstov, Laberge...and now Allison, O'Brien are disappointing. 1st and 2nd rounders...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jumping the gun, are we?

Rubtsov flashed early before his injury and Laberge flashed late after his injuries, so let's see next year.
Morin and Allison are knee injuries, again, that doesn't make them flops.
O'Brien was always going to be a project, a year behind his peers, then the injuries.

Now if two years from now . . . but crap happens.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
He will never play a game with Philly. He is going to take so long to develop, he will walk. And certain people had a **** fit saying I part with that pick in a deal for Grubauer.

Next.

Crazy that we have had such a good prospect pool, yet Morin, Rubstov, Laberge...and now Allison, O'Brien are disappointing. 1st and 2nd rounders...
It shows the value of acquiring extra picks. It also shows that Hextall wasn’t the god of drafting that some make him out to be.

Reactions: Ruck Over

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
He will never play a game with Philly. He is going to take so long to develop, he will walk. And certain people had a **** fit saying I part with that pick in a deal for Grubauer.

Next.

I put Morin , Rubtsov , and Allison in a different group cause they have all had good stretches after being drafted but have been slowed due to injuries . Laberge and O'Brien have not had an up period since being drafted .

Reactions: dag54

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just hate wasted development years. Hopefully, JOB gets his confidence back and continues to grow physically, but 2 of them in a row stinks. If he's the player he still might be (to whatever degree), a 20 year old should torch the BCHL, which doesn't do much but delay development in needed areas. I agree with the sentiment: why not the USHL? At least that's a higher talent league.

(Preferring JOB to Farabee. Never will make sense.)

And certain people had a **** fit saying I part with that pick in a deal for Grubauer.

Eh. He was traded for a mid-2nd. We have Hart. Trading a top 20 pick for him still gets a scoff, my man. Nothing stopped them from taking a more sure thing AKA better player (though I'm not criticizing the process of the gamble necessarily; it happens) or acquiring a more valuable NHL player with that pick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I put Morin , Rubtsov , and Allison in a different group cause they have all had good stretches after being drafted but have been slowed due to injuries . Laberge and O'Brien have not had an up period since being drafted .
I agree. And I still have hopes for all the guys really. O'Brien was a reach that I did not like on that day and was hopeful the experts were right. So far, they are not.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I just hate wasted development years. Hopefully, JOB gets his confidence back and continues to grow physically, but 2 of them in a row stinks. If he's the player he still might be (to whatever degree), a 20 year old should torch the BCHL, which doesn't do much but delay development in needed areas. I agree with the sentiment: why not the USHL? At least that's a higher talent league.

(Preferring JOB to Farabee. Never will make sense.)

Eh. He was traded for a mid-2nd. We have Hart. Trading a top 20 pick for him still gets a scoff, my man. Nothing stopped them from taking a more sure thing AKA better player (though I'm not criticizing the process of the gamble necessarily; it happens) or acquiring a more valuable NHL player with that pick.

Yeah Jay O’Brien looking like a bust wouldn’t change my opinion on that. I’m not giving up a 19th overall pick for a guy who was a backup to that point. That’s just not good value regardless of the section made. Not just what he ultimately went for with a second rounder & a cap dump in Orpik but that would have been the highest price paid for a goalie with that profile in this decade. Others goalie’s like that who have gone for first rounders apart of the deal have been closer to the end of the round.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
A 19 yr old going to he BCJHL is a massive red flag.

Only reason kids do that is to get a scholarship to US college.

Be cool if he gets traded to the Flin flon Bombers maybe mid season tho. Lol

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Not kids in first round but other kids who were drafted have transferred college’s but they’re typically playing their sit out year in the USHL.

It’s more of a recent trend in college hockey where kids in the past may have just stayed put or jumped to the CHL.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
He will get 120 pts this year , but that will mean absolute nothing.

And for an injury prone kid, JR A isn’t a smart option.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He will get 120 pts this year , but that will mean absolute nothing.

And for an injury prone kid, JR A isn’t a smart option.

He should be going to the USHL instead but this is ultimately a move just to keep his NCAA eligibility in tact. He has to sit out next year so he’s got to find another league to play before being eligible to play in the NCAA at a different school the following year.

He’ll still have three years of eligibility left when he rejoins the NCAA in 20-21. He could leave for the CHL but he’d lose his NCAA eligibility & he would be an overeager next year. So he wouldn’t be eligible to play in the CHL in 20-21 as he’d be too old. So his options would be the AHL/ECHL or somewhere overseas which isn’t likely.

Reactions: dag54
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad