Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
giphy.gif
Starting to think this is a metaphor for seeing you on fortnite

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Ratcliffe's line only got stacked at the deadline, he was scoring at a very healthy clip before that. He's a very large man who skates better than his size would suggest. He's not Wheeler fast, but he's not Boyle slow either. He's got tremendous hands for finishing and has some bite to his game. As he fills out, he'll end up being a monster. I'd say his chances of being an NHL regular 3 years from now is in excess of 90%, health willing. Fingers crossed, we'll see.
He was getting outscored by Strome before the deadline.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Jay O'Brien leaving Providence College

Bad move on the kids part. Was injured most of the season, but by some accounts, was ill-prepared for the college game (in hindsight, staying in prep hockey and not going to the USHL, really set him back) - not strong enough, and not willing to play a 200ft game. Was used to be " the guy", and just wasn't as good as other players on a Frozen Four team.

He'll go to the BCHL, and rack up a bunch of points, like he did in prep school - as no one plays D in that league. And his future game will not get any better. Flyers can't be happy with him quitting, when things got a little tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillDineen

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Bad move on the kids part. Was injured most of the season, but by some accounts, was ill-prepared for the college game (in hindsight, staying in prep hockey and not going to the USHL, really set him back) - not strong enough, and not willing to play a 200ft game. Was used to be " the guy", and just wasn't as good as other players on a Frozen Four team.

He'll go to the BCHL, and rack up a bunch of points, like he did in prep school - as no one plays D in that league. And his future game will not get any better. Flyers can't be happy with him quitting, when things got a little tough.

He had a terrible year with injuries, IIRC concussions, shoulder problems. Looked very explosive at WJC, then got the flu.

Can't really blame any of that on him. Perhaps all the issues, esp. concussions, detracted from his schooling too? Was he getting good enough grades to stay eligible in PC academically? I'm not worried, really. He was always 3-4 years away, and still is.

Reactions: renberg and dag54

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019

seems like a quitter. took his ball and went home

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Eh, at least he's playing. Cream rises to the top and all that stuff. Still, seems like he was unprepared for it and unhappy there. Shame it didn't work out better but that's how it goes sometimes. Welcome to life fella. Come back strong.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
He's not quitting hockey. Maybe not playing in college will be better for his career.

Providence is a really crappy place to develop an offensive game. I'm glad O'Brien bailed. I saw him 5-6 times at Providence. He was not overwhelmed or overmatched.

For whatever reason, his play didn't result in points. Obviously, the constant injuries had a lot to do with it, but I honestly think he ran unlucky to some extent.

Regroup in the BCHL and start over. It is, what it is. He has to take contact better, but he's still skilled and smart. I just hope the concussions and loss of confidence aren't too much to overcome.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
If he starts out in BCHL what are his options after WJC if he is lightening it up?

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Providence is a really crappy place to develop an offensive game. I'm glad O'Brien bailed. I saw him 5-6 times at Providence. He was not overwhelmed or overmatched.

For whatever reason, his play didn't result in points. Obviously, the constant injuries had a lot to do with it, but I honestly think he ran unlucky to some extent.

Regroup in the BCHL and start over. It is, what it is. He has to take contact better, but he's still skilled and smart. I just hope the concussions and loss of confidence aren't too much to overcome.

There was nothing wrong with his offensive game - Providence plays a pro-style game, where the forwards have to forecheck and get back to help on D, he wanted no part of that. Don't see how that will help his overall development. He was physically overmatched at numerous times this past season, was just thrown around like a rag doll a lot of the time.

But, he'll get his points in the BCHL, just like prep school. I'm sure he'll be more comfortable in that style of game. When the going gets tough - head to Western Canada....

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
He had a terrible year with injuries, IIRC concussions, shoulder problems. Looked very explosive at WJC, then got the flu.

Can't really blame any of that on him. Perhaps all the issues, esp. concussions, detracted from his schooling too? Was he getting good enough grades to stay eligible in PC academically? I'm not worried, really. He was always 3-4 years away, and still is.
His play at the WJC did not relate to what he was doing at Providence. In the tourney he looked like a player. Sometimes a place isn't a good fit for you. Best to accept that and move on. The BCHL isn't where I would like to see him play but he must have reasons for going there. We'll have to see what happens at the end of next season-on to Juniors; back to a different university or to the AHL. You can bet that the Flyers will have a say in what he does. If he balks at what the club wants, he'll get traded.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
His play at the WJC did not relate to what he was doing at Providence. In the tourney he looked like a player. Sometimes a place isn't a good fit for you. Best to accept that and move on. The BCHL isn't where I would like to see him play but he must have reasons for going there. We'll have to see what happens at the end of next season-on to Juniors; back to a different university or to the AHL. You can bet that the Flyers will have a say in what he does. If he balks at what the club wants, he'll get traded.
It's early yet. Do we know which BCHL team he will play for? When we do, did he go there through a personal connection or did the Flyers help place him there? Has he committed to another college and just waiting to announce it, and did his next intended college have a hand in it? Lots of Q, not many As yet....

Reactions: renberg

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

He was over matched . His head could not keep up with the play and he left himself exposed to hits all the time . His problem is he played in prep hockey and the jump to college is far to great . At the start of their year he was given full reign on the top lines of plus pp and some pk and could not produce so over matched is exactually what i would call it . Putting Providence down just cause he could not produce is like butting BC down cause Wahlstrom can't or putting BU down just cause Bellows can't preform or Minn Duluth cause Tuffte can't produce . I put the onus of the players not the program the rest is just excuses .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->