Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
its comparing apples to oranges here. Actual talent trumps coaching any day of the week. Coaching changes are easy to implement, talent changes are not. If you think these two areas are on the same level you're wrong..
Has the last few years taught you nothing?

"Coaching changes are easy to implement" Hextall sure showed that in refusing to fire Hak. Or Lappy. Or Murphy. Or Knob.

Ask yourself....was Hextall fired because of his drafting or because of his coaches and results on the ice?

Again, no one has an issue with the drafting. But no matter how well you draft, if you have a coach that plays Hagg and Folin over Sanheim, you will never succeed.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
If you are happy about he THN ranking and you don't like hextall because he hired hakstol you can go **** yourself

I like hextall’s drafting and talent evaluation for the most part but his management of his talent and refusal to hold the coaching staff accountable for obvious short comings like PK, lack of 5v5 scoring was maddening.
Refusing to make even minor improvements through FA to improve on guys like Manning or getting healthy goaltenders.
My mother in law does a great job of baby sitting but it doesn’t change the fact that her cooking sucks. Hexy all did a very good job of acquiring players but he sucked in several other areas.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Most of the drafting can be put on the shoulders of an excellent scouting staff and I greatly appreciate their talent.
If you don't think Hextall and Pryor had major say in what players we drafted you really don't have any clue how things work . Scouting staff will limit options down and help with making charts and lists but decision making comes from the top , make no mistake . Letting Pryor go as well really pissed me off .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frost might be 2 inches shorter than Glass, but their weight is about the same.

Glass missed most of the last 2 months with an injury...their PPG are very similar...with Frost getting a slight edge. But Glass plays in a tougher division than Frost (and of course in a different league)

Frost weighted in at 173 at the Scouting Combine, Glass at 178.
Current weights are subject to change, but Glass has 3" on Frost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Haven't we seen over the past 4 years, at a minimum, that talent does in fact not trump coaching? The Flyers have always had talent on the roster, but coaching* has routinely limited the reasonable amount of success the roster has enjoyed.

*A small caveat here for some of the bad roster decisions regarding talent of the lesser roster players, a fault attributed to management.

Flyers have had a small core of talent, made smaller by the Schenn trade.
They actually had better veteran talent before Hextall, Read fell off the cliff, Simmonds steadily declined, Raffl has been up and down, so we're talking Giroux (who was MIA for a couple years due to injury), Voracek, Couts, Schenn (traded).

Hextall gradually brought in young players, but only Ghost has reached his peak.
The others are still 20-22 years old (Patrick, Lindblom, TK, Provorov, Sanheim, Myers) and are works in progress.

The rest of the roster for five years have been "hamburger helper" at best,
Laughton, Filppula, VdV, PEB, Umberger, Lehtera, Weise, Weal, Leier, Cousins, White, Luby, Varone, Knight
Streit, MDZ, L Schenn, Manning, Schultz, Hagg, MacDonald
Mason, Neuvirth, Elliott, Emery

pacehimself

Oct 5, 2008
The rest of the roster for five years have been "hamburger helper" at best,
Laughton, Filppula, VdV, PEB, Umberger, Lehtera, Weise, Weal, Leier, Cousins, White, Luby, Varone, Knight
Streit, MDZ, L Schenn, Manning, Schultz, Hagg, MacDonald
Mason, Neuvirth, Elliott, Emery

What a walk down memory lane

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If you don't think Hextall and Pryor had major say in what players we drafted you really don't have any clue how things work . Scouting staff will limit options down and help with making charts and lists but decision making comes from the top , make no mistake . Letting Pryor go as well really pissed me off .

Like Flyguy said, Hexy and Pyror set the philosophy and are the creators of the scouting staff, which is why I didn't say the scouting staff should receive all the credit, rather most.

But, thinking Hextall was primary contributor to our drafting success is an uneducated opinion.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Like Flyguy said, Hexy and Pyror set the philosophy and are the creators of the scouting staff, which is why I didn't say the scouting staff should receive all the credit, rather most.

But, thinking Hextall was primary contributor to our drafting success is an uneducated opinion.
I didn't backread to the start of this argument or anything...but I think Hextall was the major reason for the drafting success. He made the ultimate decisions (with the close help of Pryor) and lead the focus of certain qualities in players along with importance of certain areas the Flyers didn't "typically" draft from. Most importantly, he shifted the focus of the team to acquire talent through the draft, which meant stockpiling of picks and assets in order to take more chances. They made good picks without Hextall around, they just didn't have many chances to make those picks

Reactions: IronMarshal

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

I did not say they were the only ones who had opinions but when it comes time to your pick there are the final decision . I have sat in some of these draft meetings before and gave my opinion , agreed with some and not with others but our director of player personal and head scout made the final decisions after they had finished hearing from us .

Reactions: RebusFlyer

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Hextall was good at being patient and trading for more picks. The scouting program is very strong here as evidence from guys like Gagne, Williams, Richards, sharp, Giroux, Frost. I mean that’s insane talent evaluation. Now they got better at D and goaltending too. You have to think if Fletcher stays hands off he’s going to have a lot of success.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Currently all heights/weights are speculative, after the combine, numbers tend to get fudged.

I doubt Frost is over 180, he tried to bulk up last summer and slowed down, and whether he made it to 6'0 is a question.
6'0 185 is probably Frost's peak size, he's got a slighter frame than TK who's probably close to 5'11 190.
Giroux has had a nice career at 5'11 185, so that's big enough for Frost.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The NHL top scorer is 5'11 178
The 3rd leading scorer is 5'11 177
The 5th leading scorer is 5'9 165 (and Monahan just yesterday said he thinks he is 5'6)
Point, Marchand, Marner also in the top 12 scorers

If you can play, you can play. 1-2 inches or 5-10 pounds don't matter.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The NHL top scorer is 5'11 178
The 3rd leading scorer is 5'11 177
The 5th leading scorer is 5'9 165 (and Monahan just yesterday said he thinks he is 5'6)
Point, Marchand, Marner also in the top 12 scorers

If you can play, you can play. 1-2 inches or 5-10 pounds don't matter.
And everyone on this board should be familiar with this concept after watching Giroux for the past decade.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
By GAR the Flyers had the top best players in the league last year -- Giroux and Couturier. Yep, they were both ahead of McDavid and Taylor Hall.

Ghost was the 4th-best defenseman in the league, and Provorov was 25th. You don't need to go by GAR or believe in it to know this, everyone realizes how good these four were.

So you have two Hart-caliber forwards, a Norris-worthy D guy and his elite top pair partner. Plus Voracek and Konecny. The Flyers had as much first-rate talent last year as any team in the league.

And yet this team struggled to make the playoffs and were routed in the first round. In filling in the roster around those elite players and utilizing the talent fully the Flyers were a dismal failure.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
By GAR the Flyers had the top best players in the league last year -- Giroux and Couturier. Yep, they were both ahead of McDavid and Taylor Hall.

Ghost was the 4th-best defenseman in the league, and Provorov was 25th. You don't need to go by GAR or believe in it to know this, everyone realizes how good these four were.

So you have two Hart-caliber forwards, a Norris-worthy D guy and his elite top pair partner. Plus Voracek and Konecny. The Flyers had as much first-rate talent last year as any team in the league.

And yet this team struggled to make the playoffs and were routed in the first round. In filling in the roster around those elite players and utilizing the talent fully the Flyers were a dismal failure.

But the Flyers are slow and unskilled

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Are we taking about heaviness? :eek:

ED9fRp8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad