Prospect Info: Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Jrs., Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You can carry a couple skilled smurfs, as long as you compensate elsewhere - TB may have the biggest defense in the NHL.
You can also have too many full sized guys who play like they're smurfs, like Toronto.

Reactions: BiggE and Devonator

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Currently all heights/weights are speculative, after the combine, numbers tend to get fudged.

I doubt Frost is over 180, he tried to bulk up last summer and slowed down, and whether he made it to 6'0 is a question.
6'0 185 is probably Frost's peak size, he's got a slighter frame than TK who's probably close to 5'11 190.
Giroux has had a nice career at 5'11 185, so that's big enough for Frost.

Well last season when I watched Frost play he definitely looked on the small side. This season he looks more like an average sized player.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
You can carry a couple skilled smurfs, as long as you compensate elsewhere - TB may have the biggest defense in the NHL.
You can also have too many full sized guys who play like they're smurfs, like Toronto.

This is funny on so many levels.

The Leafs have four guys under 6-feet. Johnsson, Petan, Moore and Ennis. Petan and Moore have combined to play 20 games.

Auston Matthews is 6-3, 223. Tavares is 6-1, 209. Gauthier is 6-5 235. Marleau is 6-2 218. All the defensemen are big.

Also, the Leafs are on a 102-point pace, and had 105 points last year. Acting like that is some sort of failure is pretty strange considering they were just picking No. 1 overall three years ago.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Toronto has had two 1st round exits with that kind of talent, when it happens here people panic.
They've looked awful defensively, so we'll see what happens in this year's playoffs.

It's not just size, size limits what you can do, heart determines what you will do.
Matthews and JT aren't known as physical players, similar to Voracek.
Gauthier is a 4th line player, Marleau is on his last legs, as is Hainsey.
This is a team that uses speed for offense, but aren't aggressive forecheckers like Vegas, and their defense scares no one.

Reactions: phil162888

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No one panicked because we has 1st round losses. People didn't like that we got embarrassed by our biggest rival on the ice and behind the bench, and our GM refused to do anything about it....except sit and wait.

Oh well, cost him his job. At least Hak is gone.

Hey Hextall, wanna try and hire Babcock? Naw, I am going in a different direction.
Hey Hextall, wanna hire Trotz? Naw, we're good.
Hey Hextall, wanns hire coach Q? Naw, we're good
Hey Hextall, pack our bags.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Toronto has had two 1st round exits with that kind of talent, when it happens here people panic.
They've looked awful defensively, so we'll see what happens in this year's playoffs.

It's not just size, size limits what you can do, heart determines what you will do.
Matthews and JT aren't known as physical players, similar to Voracek.
Gauthier is a 4th line player, Marleau is on his last legs, as is Hainsey.
This is a team that uses speed for offense, but aren't aggressive forecheckers like Vegas, and their defense scares no one.

You said Toronto was a bunch of smurfs which they're objectively not. Marleau being on his last legs isn't really relevant, he plays 16 mins a game and is their 8th-leading scorer. Are you saying Marleau doesn't have heart? Hainsey is playing on their top pair. It's also a little early in the careers of Matthews, Marner, Rielly et al to make any judgments about them.

Tavares does't use his size? Do you really need to be reminded of this?

This is a reasonably well-respected defensive forward he's battling here.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
This is funny on so many levels.

The Leafs have four guys under 6-feet. Johnsson, Petan, Moore and Ennis. Petan and Moore have combined to play 20 games.

Auston Matthews is 6-3, 223. Tavares is 6-1, 209. Gauthier is 6-5 235. Marleau is 6-2 218. All the defensemen are big.

Also, the Leafs are on a 102-point pace, and had 105 points last year. Acting like that is some sort of failure is pretty strange considering they were just picking No. 1 overall three years ago.
Austin Mathews 6'3" 223 lbs is complete BS iv'e seen him in person and those stats are complete BS . Marleau weight is also BS . Gautier is probably right but he is shitty and Tavares ain't no 209 either .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My exact words: "You can also have too many full sized guys who play like they're smurfs, like Toronto."

Voracek has always been physical on offense when it comes to puck possession, but compare to Lindblom, who is physical in the corners and along the boards fighting for the puck at both ends of the ice and who will go to the net.

A lot of players will show effort trying to score and pad their stats, but you need players who'll block shots, aggressively forecheck and backcheck, hit people and fight for the puck in the D-zone - watching Toronto, they seriously lack those kind of players. Compare to say Vegas, which isn't as talented but plays with a lot more heart.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Right because scoring goals and setting up OT game-winners is just padding stats, we need more shot blockers.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
f6813881602bfa93193ef91b9f668ea3.GIF

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think Farabee is signing to go to the AHL, he'll probably sit down with Fletcher, and discuss whether the Flyers think he's ready for the NHL.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'd take another Couts or Kopitar over a JT any day of the week.

I'd take McDavid over him too. What's your point? Tavares isn't a smurf, he doesn't play like a smurf, he uses his size extremely well. He gets the toughest matchups every night and crushes them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nico Strum is unsigned, not the fastest but might be a good candidate for a 4C role, at 23 he's ready to go directly to the NHL.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Frost weighted in at 173 at the Scouting Combine, Glass at 178.
Current weights are subject to change, but Glass has 3" on Frost.
7 of the top 13 scorers this year are under 6 feet tall: Kucherov, Gaudreau, Crosby, Kane, Point, Marchand, and Marner.

Who cares how big Frost is in an era where skill is allowed to flourish again?

Edit: should have kept reading; already addressed.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Nico Strum is unsigned, not the fastest but might be a good candidate for a 4C role, at 23 he's ready to go directly to the NHL.
He’s a candidate for B6/4C role on a team that doesn’t have many roster spots or for a team that doesn’t have 4C depth/C prospect depth.

Teams that would jump on him maybe this year or next are PIT, WSH, WPG, CGY, LAK, and so on. My guess is PIT jumps on him. He’s big, physical (not overly), and very sound defensively.

I wouldn’t throw in with NHL competition yet. I’d have him in the AHL to sound out the transition for a month or two and see what he’s like after that.

I wouldn’t mind if PHI took a flyer on him. However, he just seems to be a slightly bigger and more physical version of Vorobyev. I think their upside is similar and they have very similar game types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->